Digitizing Vinyl

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Are there any programs that record at 45 or even 78 and properly slow down a record to 33 1/3? Think of the time this could save on recording vinyl. There may be a program or programs that utilize this but it seems like it would be smart. fuck it i would by a turntable that plays at 150 rpms if you could slow it down properly. The sample rate would obviously have to be higher to avoid distortion.

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Are there any programs that record at 45 or even 78 and properly slow down a record to 33 1/3? Think of the time this could save on recording vinyl. There may be a program or programs that utilize this but it seems like it would be smart. fuck it i would by a turntable that plays at 150 rpms if you could slow it down properly. The sample rate would obviously have to be higher to avoid distortion.

There's got to be a math equation out there somewhere (eg...how many notes/semitones would be equal to slowing a 45 to 33 1/3).

This guy could do it in his sleep (literally).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I think it would effect sound quality though.

• Are there any programs that record at 45 or even 78 and properly slow down a record to 33 1/3? Think of the time this could save on recording vinyl. There may be a program or programs that utilize this but it seems like it would be smart. fuck it i would by a turntable that plays at 150 rpms if you could slow it down properly. The sample rate would obviously have to be higher to avoid distortion.

There's got to be a math equation out there somewhere (eg...how many notes/semitones would be equal to slowing a 45 to 33 1/3).

This guy could do it in his sleep (literally).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I think it would effect sound quality though.

That's where you bump the sample rate up...

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    You don't need semitones, just use percentage. Its 74%. If your ripping to mp3 anyway its not going to make a huge difference, just bump your original sample rate as high as you can.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    A lot of techy/arty/electro nerds speed all of their stuff up to then slow it down because of the sound it gives. On some things it is actually quite appealing, just like the old S950 days.