America's Drinking Destination

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I've really enjoyed seeing some of the travel photos from outside the U.S. and thought I'd share some of my trip to Key West, Florida for those who have never been. Was my first visit to what is proudly known as Margaritaville....one of the few tourist towns in the country bulit around being drunk. Camera was not working well but here are some random shots.First stop was Baton Rouge and the Buddy Stewart Museum/Rock Shop. Sealed dollar bin Al Green LP's for $50.00....didn't find a record worth buying but the ambiance was worth the visitKey West .....drove 1,600 miles to get there and if I'd swam only 90 more I'd made it to CubaDrinking is the local pastime/attraction. Like a cleaner, tropical Bourbon Street except the local music acts in the club ranged from lame Jimmy Buffett wannabes to lame, drunk Jimmy Buffett wannabes.Tasty Lotsa Cuban influence, food and musicElectric Cars and Mopeds were the transportation of choice when not stumbling around town with a buzz on.Typical local housing....3 room shacks start at $400,000...these are in the multiple million rangeBars are for drinking, nothing fancy needed.Local vendors and performers line the streets.Lots of local artists, Michael Goddard's art really captured the whole feel of Duval Street, their 14 block strip of drunks.Could have taken lots of photos of half naked, sloppy drunk women but didn't think anyone here would be interested.

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Nice photos, thanks for sharing. "Ho Made Cookie"

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    hope ya had a blast !

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Did you have any key lime pie? Conch fritters?

Looks like it was good times.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Did you have any key lime pie? Conch fritters?

Looks like it was good times.

Conch everydamnthang........best food was at El Siboney Cuban restaurant where the Ropa Vieja was top notch....I'm not a big dessert fan but I did have some Key Lime pie at my favorite spot in Mobile, The Original Oyster House.

Ten family members met down in the Keys for my folks 50th Wedding Anniversary and it was definitely good times.