late pass (4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up R)

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I got the Writz 12" at a Quannum show back when this was coming out. I remember not feeling it and I think it left a sour taste in my mouth. So, I steered clear of this album for a long while. Recently, I decided it was time to give it a listen and know if I was right to avoid it.woops.Granted, there are some tracks that maybe don't stand up against the better ones ('Rat Race' -sorry jacobwizzle- & 'Real MC's'...the other 12"..doh!), but the better tracks are amazing! 'Way of the Light', 'To Know You', 'In a Minute Doe', 'Moonshine', 'Evolution', etc. The production is very strong and Gift's delivery and harmonizing are on point. I can't believe this album didn't get more hype from the underground kids...and that I slept so hard on it.are there any other 12"s from it besides Writz and Rat Race?(and can I get a co-sign and maybe some recommendations on more underground hip-hop albums with this much soul??)

Comments

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I like most of the songs on the album.Definate cosign. Dudley Perkins-A Lil Light on Stones Throw is mega soulfull too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I went back and forth on 4th Dimensional...but there were definitely times that I really enjoyed it.

You should look into some Strange Fruit Project for some more soulful ish.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    same here, the lead singles were hard to get with and so was the title of the LP but the album for the most part was rock solid... maybe it helps to go into something w/ low expectations.

check out the emanon 'waiting room' LP & the kero one 'windmills of the soul' for some solid hip hop.