Martha Reeves & the Vandellas appreciation

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Just sitting here, and "A Love Like Yours (Don't come Knockin' every day)" came on, and I nearly fell over from its power. Jesus, this song is just a killer.That group was nooooo joke. "Heat Wave," "Dancin' in the Streets," "Nowhere to Run,". Shit. That is a murders' row of hits right thur, and add to it stuff like "Love like yours"?Martha and the Vs=5*s

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Dancin' in the Street"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Just sitting here, and "A Love Like Yours (Don't come Knockin' every day)" came on, and I nearly fell over from its power. Jesus, this song is just a killer.

That group was nooooo joke. "Heat Wave," "Dancin' in the Streets," "Nowhere to Run,". Shit. That is a murders' row of hits right thur, and add to it stuff like "Love like yours"?

Martha and the Vs=5*s

"One Way Out" - killer Northern Soul/mod groover often overlooked in favour of the established classics.
    "My Baby Loves Me" - Every time I play this, within seconds of the intro I can feel the tension drain from my body. Gorgeous.
    "Hitch Hike" - slept-on cover.
    "No More Tearstained Make-up" - great Smokey lyric.
    "Come And Get These Memories" - HDH almost out-doing Smokey.

For me, Martha Reeves, along with Gladys Knight was (still is?) probably the best female singer ever to record for Motown.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    "Jimmy Mack" could very well be my #1 favorite song of all time, I will play the shit out of it at any bar with a jukebox. "Live Wire", "Quicksand", etc...

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Yeah martha Reeves/Vandellas is superb or at least used to be, Marthas voice ain't all that nice anymore from the stuff i've heard from her (live appearances).

Some more favourites:

"noone there"
    "love, guess who"

/L

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i dont think it was a big hit but "dancing slow" has always been my favorite.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That group was nooooo joke.

i agree 100%.

• In My Lonely Room