Grading In the Sunshine

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I don't really get too hung up on checking conditon of records I'm paying fifty-cents for at a yard sale,but with the vinyl piled in almost every room of myhouse, I feel the need to be somewhat discriminating.So...many many records look beautiful and as-new out in thesunlight of some guy's front yard Saturday 10:00 AM, but when I get back home and check them indoors, they're rinked!Is this just me being lazy, or do others have this problem?Do I need to just look closer? I'll admit I am self-consciousenough that I don't feel comfortable holding some dude's 3-for-a-buckcopy of "Waiting for the Sun" up to my nose, squinting at the wax and running my thumb back and forth over the grooves...but I wish I could get a better read on these things, beforeI feed them to the monster.Ok, there's no point to this post, I'm just hiding from thesun, burnin' some and listening to crackly yard sale records...but still, anyone else have this problem? The sun-grading, notthe pointless-posting-while-stoned thing...

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    gotta get a good angle of sunlight. Usually good sunlight doesn't lie, though...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah
    tilt that wax son
    an look at it trey or' four tymes

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    gotta get a good angle of sunlight. Usually good sunlight doesn't lie, though...

Yeah, I think it's mostly laziness, I'm flipping through piles
    of cheap-ass records, see one I might want, slide it out all quick
    and the sun hits it and reflects and it looks all glossy and I go
    "good" and slide it back in, all in about 3 seconds.

"good sunlight" made me laugh.

It's like:

"yo that shit looked minty and it's hammered, son!"

"...Blaaaaaaame it on the Haze..."[/b]

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah
    tilt that wax son
    an look at it trey or' four tymes

truth. ive struggled with that sunlight shit for years