Records in Richmond VA? Yes.

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I've seen a lot of records here. Who buys them? Where the fuck are these people? Why are there no places where I can go hear records and have a drink? Outside of dickbucket jimmydean top40 "DJs"...there are some quality hip-hop oriented events (Joe, Drew), Scorpio brothers (funk soul 45s) out of the blue once a year and a slightly decent 80s night. Nevermind, the 80s night sucks. The dance night at Nancy Raygun pops off from time to time during school. There should be more. I need more. Richmond deserves more. The talent is here. What gives?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You can do it Fatback!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    You can do it Fatback!

If I could, I already would have.

I mean if this was Petersburg, I'd be OK with it. But it's not.

p.s.--not a fucking one records in a Petersburg.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Josh done killed it in Richmond.

Honestly, I think Richmond is kind of a lazy town. Lots of people here have records, but few are willing to grind hard to promote and get gigs. Shit most of the time I can't afford to go out, and I would just as soon stay home drink a beer and listen to my records. That might just be me being lazy and poor, but it could be there just are not enough nights to interest me. I went out a lot more often when I lived in philly, and there parking and public transit were always an issue. Those things are not really issues here. Richmond needs some good dj nights for grown folks, the top 40 kids shit is covered.

do you like lawrence welk?

I think I became slightly more retarded after huffing those mothballs for an hour.

Josh done killed it in Richmond.

And Dante gave the few remaining DJs frontal lobotomies.

I think I became slightly more retarded after huffing those mothballs for an hour.

"I never really got into that hard bop stuff?"

Oh really I never would have guessed.

b/w the worst records I have ever seen in the best condition I have ever seen them. 5 first family mint and in poly sleeves.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How far is Richmond from Pocomoke MD? Thats where I am, right on the VA border. On the "eastern seaboard" i think they call it.

i went running yesterday and saw 2 dead field mousies, a dead frog, 2 funny fuzzy caterpillars, and a big long black snake. yay!

How far is Richmond from Pocomoke MD? Thats where I am, right on the VA border. On the "eastern seaboard" i think they call it.

i went running yesterday and saw 2 dead field mousies, a dead frog, 2 funny fuzzy caterpillars, and a big long black snake. yay!

Far. You'd have to either go around to 95 / DC (sux ass) or go over the Chesapkeake Bay Bridge then under the tunnel to Hampton Roads up to Richmond. Either way lots of suck ass traffic.

About three hours. So you're near the Asategue Island park?

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    You can do it Fatback!

I just found it on the map. What's it like there? Why are you there?

Far. You'd have to either go around to 95 / DC (sux ass) or go over the Chesapkeake Bay Bridge then under the tunnel to Hampton Roads up to Richmond. Either way lots of suck ass traffic.

The Baytunnel route should be easy depending on the time of day. The DC route will be a nightmare 24/7.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    im over in charlottesville, and the DJ scene here is wack as hell. but yea most people here buy vinyl cuz they are wannabes. that said, i deejay the occasional frat/sorority party here, but nothin on the regular. and its funny cuz whenever i roll out to a party, people are awed by the fact that i rock vinyl and not just some frat brother's laptop.

yeah. and for the record is spelled ASSateague (i'm serious). The best part is, I'm working at a shithole called Wallops Island, and there is a part of the island called Assawoman. which beats Onancock as my new favorite VA name.

There is a whole lot of jack and shit to do out here. There's a flea market on saturday which i heard has records, so i'll probably go check that out.

we are about 30 mins from ocean city which i heard was ok, so i guess me and my coworker will go there this weekend to shed some boredom. I'm out here for 2 weeks.

there's pretty much no mexicans out here, which is kind of strange for me. but i did meet this old dude at work named earl who is into records and drinking, which are also my 2 hobbies, and also he's funny as shit. He picked up some mad lads record last week for a dime. nice. he's heading to DC this weekend to hit the thrifts and get records. I told him 'good luck' because I know there are some strutters out there that probably have the place on lock, but he's not that deep yet, so maybe he'll come home happy.

I'm staying at the quality inn. I'm tempted to rip the page with "quality" out of the dictionary and leave it at the front desk, because I'm not sure they are clear on the concept. There are flies in my room. only a few of the outlets work.

But, I shouldn't really complain. at least I have internet.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    We used to do our thing in richmond. We did a regular night on tuesdays called beat lounge, and it was a consitently attended and enjoyed evening. It's tough in the beginning, but once you build a base, it lasts. Good luck keeping peoples attention like that in NYC. I have nothing but love for that town, but it would seem it has nothing but hate for me. Last time I was there, I got to the spot, ordered a beer and someone tried to fight me. It took like 5 minutes. Same people, bigger drinking problems.

I'm here for work, supporting a project that has been a disaster for years, but they keep sinking money into it. I'm here for 2 weeks, go home for a week, and then over to virginia beach for a week.

oddly enough, the weather out here has been nicer than san diego. but its humid as fuck too.

Whats it like? I'm a city boy I guess, and having a walmart does not a city make. So I'm bored. I like the outdoors and shit too, but this place is flat and is nothing but trees and cornfields. and mosquitos. my motel is this shithole right off the highway. one of those flat deals that you always see in movies, the ones that people get ax murdered at.

There is an early 80s chevette down the road that was painstakingly painted to resemble a nascar race car. its pretty fucking funny. I will take a picture of that before I leave.

ho hum.

yeah. and for the record is spelled ASSateague (i'm serious). The best part is, I'm working at a shithole called Wallops Island, and there is a part of the island called Assawoman. which beats Onancock as my new favorite VA name.

There is a whole lot of jack and shit to do out here. There's a flea market on saturday which i heard has records, so i'll probably go check that out.

we are about 30 mins from ocean city which i heard was ok, so i guess me and my coworker will go there this weekend to shed some boredom. I'm out here for 2 weeks.

there's pretty much no mexicans out here, which is kind of strange for me. but i did meet this old dude at work named earl who is into records and drinking, which are also my 2 hobbies, and also he's funny as shit. He picked up some mad lads record last week for a dime. nice. he's heading to DC this weekend to hit the thrifts and get records. I told him 'good luck' because I know there are some strutters out there that probably have the place on lock, but he's not that deep yet, so maybe he'll come home happy.

I'm staying at the quality inn. I'm tempted to rip the page with "quality" out of the dictionary and leave it at the front desk, because I'm not sure they are clear on the concept. There are flies in my room. only a few of the outlets work.

Last time I was up that way I hit some fleas along 13 and came up alright. I can't remember if that was in VA or MD though. There was a carry-out along 13 called "just seafood" that had the best crab EVAR. Ocean City sucks. Perpetual Spring Break High Seniors Party Redneck from Baldimore ish. You'll love it! Def peep this joint: http://www.seacrets.com/ It's so bad it's good.

• How far is Richmond from Pocomoke MD? Thats where I am, right on the VA border. On the "eastern seaboard" i think they call it.

Wallops Island is pretty cool, with all the radio telescope-y things. Stay off the beach, where you will be immediately devoured by millions of mosquitos...

I'm here for work, supporting a project that has been a disaster for years, but they keep sinking money into it. I'm here for 2 weeks, go home for a week, and then over to virginia beach for a week.

oddly enough, the weather out here has been nicer than san diego. but its humid as fuck too.

Whats it like? I'm a city boy I guess, and having a walmart does not a city make. So I'm bored. I like the outdoors and shit too, but this place is flat and is nothing but trees and cornfields. and mosquitos. my motel is this shithole right off the highway. one of those flat deals that you always see in movies, the ones that people get ax murdered at.

There is an early 80s chevette down the road that was painstakingly painted to resemble a nascar race car. its pretty fucking funny. I will take a picture of that before I leave.

ho hum.

You should try to roll up this way when you are in VA beach. They give you a car?

Last time I was up that way I hit some fleas along 13 and came up alright. I can't remember if that was in VA or MD though. There was a carry-out along 13 called "just seafood" that had the best crab EVAR. Ocean City sucks. Perpetual Spring Break High Seniors Party Redneck from Baldimore ish. You'll love it! Def peep this joint: http://www.seacrets.com/ It's so bad it's good.

I take 13 when I go down to Sandbridge, VA on vacation. There are no records on the Eastern VA strip. Looks promising, but no, no records.

We used to do our thing in richmond. We did a regular night on tuesdays called beat lounge, and it was a consitently attended and enjoyed evening. It's tough in the beginning, but once you build a base, it lasts. Good luck keeping peoples attention like that in NYC. I have nothing but love for that town, but it would seem it has nothing but hate for me. Last time I was there, I got to the spot, ordered a beer and someone tried to fight me. It took like 5 minutes. Same people, bigger drinking problems.

Where did you do the Beat Lounge? Is the venue still open?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Used to be called Richies. Richie was this little Asian dude that would drink merlot on the rocks and sing karaoke versions of "fever" for days. Sadly he sold the place to Emilio. It now carries his name. I have a good friend, Dave White, who's still a bartender there. Talk to him, and tell him you know me. He'll set you up w/ summin. I'd love to come down and do a little record release party sometime soon. Getting that place packed would be a breeze.

t

Used to be called Richies. Richie was this little Asian dude that would drink merlot on the rocks and sing karaoke versions of "fever" for days. Sadly he sold the place to Emilio. It now carries his name. I have a good friend, Dave White, who's still a bartender there. Talk to him, and tell him you know me. He'll set you up w/ summin. I'd love to come down and do a little record release party sometime soon. Getting that place packed would be a breeze.

t

Oh OK. Some people on this board DJ'd at Emilios. I'm not feeling the place, but that's me. A new place is opening tonight. It's few doors down from the Byrd at the spot held by the New York Deli. It actually has a DJ booth and the owner/manager is from DC b/w supercool. They have Numark decks and this mixer:

I'm gonna spin there tonight and Friday. Let's hope it works. Not me, the spot.

I can set you up with this dude, but no fighting.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    what are you spinning ?
    make me go to richmond & not floyd !

what are you spinning ?
    make me go to richmond & not floyd !

Tonight, I'm bringing 3 boxes of Funk and Soul 45s, but I'll also have a bag of jazz lps to start off. I think Friday will be better because, after tonight I should get a feel for the place. Starting a new gig at a new spot is always challenging. I have to bring way too many records to be ready for anything.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Emilio's
    i think you may have to bring a PA for this venue...which i dont have.
    the refurbishing they did looked great last time i peeked in there.