throwing away records?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
anybody ever do it? i've always said it's against my general believes. but right now i'm at my parents house and knee deep in absolute shit (condition wise and/or quality wise). i was thinking of taking it all to the flea market or something, but really, i wonder if it's even worth the effort.

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    anybody ever do it? i've always said it's against my general believes. but right now i'm at my parents house and knee deep in absolute shit (condition wise and/or quality wise). i was thinking of taking it all to the flea market or something, but really, i wonder if it's even worth the effort.

Goodwill + tax writeoff.... so i hear. I've never given any records away. Nor thrown them away.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    decorate your wall

• djrdjr 511 Posts

If they're not exciting condition or quality-wise, then throw them out. Unless it's obscure, what's the point of having more beat-up records hanging about?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    If they're really poor condition junk em and get them out of circulation. If they're good quality just put them in front of a record store.

• Options
    Goodwill + tax writeoff.... so i hear.

Yeah man, I'm with graf on this one. Don't just dump them out on the curb, look into whether a goodwill spot will write you a nice receipt for the goods then claim it on your taxes. Bring some old clothes too, to pad the dollar amount plus the more you bring the more generous they are on the receipt amount.

Then again, I don't know how many records you're getting rid of, if it's only a few it might not be worth the time.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if you hitting up the thrift store to dig, might as well dump some records too.

• Options

if you hitting up the thrift store to dig, might as well dump some records too.

Good point.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've thrown records in the trash and it feels good.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    1 If you throw them in the trash,
    2 A dumpster diver will pull them out and sell them to pawn shop.
    3 A guy will buy them from pawn shop.
    4 He will then sell them to the record store he works at.
    5 Then he will return different records to pawn shop.
    6 A friend will buy them from the record store.
    7 You will do a big trade with friend and end up with them again
    8 You will throw out all your useless records

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    1 If you throw them in the trash,
    2 A dumpster diver will pull them out and sell them to pawn shop.
    3 A guy will buy them from pawn shop.
    4 He will then sell them to the record store he works at.
    5 Then he will return different records to pawn shop.
    6 A friend will buy them from the record store.
    7 You will do a big trade with friend and end up with them again
    8 You will throw out all your useless records

LOL!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    that's what I scares me the most about chucking vinyl

doesn't stop me from throwing away grips of neil diamond though

• recordsrecords 16 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I just dropped off my second batch of like 200 records at Goodwill. I've been told repeatedly by the people that work there that they do amazing business off records- even the busted ones. I'm happy, they're happy.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Decent ones I'll trade to stores for credit. If they fall into the "not so decent" category that I bought on a cloudy day, I just get lazy and pitch um.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i throw away:

private pressed country 45s
    drum machine backed tejano racheramania LPs
    shite highschool records that have no redeemable qualities/potential flippage appeal
    trashed ass rock LPs that I didn't realize contained a number one single
    educational activities/melody house/kimbo strikeouts
    xian gambles gone bad

and if they don't fall in the above categories or end up on ebay I take em to 1/2 price books for minimal $.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'm in the "donate and writeoff" camp. Even if a record is utter crap, there might be SOMEONE who'll want it. Better it languish in someone's house than the landfill.

Just make sure to take them to a thrift store you don't go to very often so you don't end up digging through your own castoffs for the next few months.

xian gambles gone bad

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Just make sure to take them to a thrift store you don't go to very often so you don't end up digging through your own castoffs for the next few months.

this is key... nothin worse than diggin through your own former turds (literally and figuratively).

and in other news, anybody seen Phil Spector's hair lately:

oh guess so

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=340757&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

• girgir 329 Posts
    I'm in the "donate and writeoff" camp. Even if a record is utter crap, there might be SOMEONE who'll want it. Better it languish in someone's house than the landfill.

i'm saying. why throw out/destroy records when they can be recirculated?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

because some of them truly suck

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

'one mans trash is another mans treasure'

good music is subjective.

like others said...donate them, get a receipt, and take a tax writeoff.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    NOBODY in the world buys Barbara Streisand, Andy Williams and Englebert Humperdink records. Do the rest of the world a favor and throw those turds in the dumpster where they belong.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

'one mans trash is another mans treasure'

good music is subjective.

like others said...donate them, get a receipt, and take a tax writeoff.

I generally agree with that sentiment and rarely do I throw them out (maybe a dozen or 2), but for real, some shit is worthy of la basura. I also donate a GRIP so it more than evens out.

• Hard choice. I say make a bunch of these . Or give em to Salvation Army...I guess. PEACE...

whats that?