DIRTY RAP$, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!

Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
edited July 2006 in Announcements
Dirty Raps: The Best of Too $hort is a new mix CD by me and my #1 homie, DJ Eleven of the Rub. Although he's best known as a Brooklyn-representer, Eleven and I are both Oakland dudes to the heart and this is our salute to the Godfather of Bay Area rap.Featuring 39 songs plus one custom-built outro, the CD comes deftly mixed, liberally seasoned with drops from $ir Too and packed in a full jewel case. I am super proud of it.Get your orders on via Paypal to [email]matthewafrica@hotmail.com.[/email] Prices (including shipping) are: $10 in the U.S.; $11 to Canada; $14 to Europe; and $15 to Asia or down under. I will have them in hand Thursday and ready to ship Friday.The CD should also be available at the following spots by the end of the week: Turntable Lab, Amoeba, B-Sides and Rasputin's. Folks passing through Eleven's Wax Poetics-sponsored throwdown at the Berkeley Adidas Originals store this Thursday or any of my various jammie-jams can also cop them hand-to-hand at a player price.

Comments

• So yeah man, Elias has been buggin off not having his own copy yet.

true fact: we have a cdr floating around with only the track "tell me when to go" on it...lil dude is always digging it out, saying "play the hyphy song...play the hyphy song...dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb...."

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    There is no way anyone has made a better Best of Too Short, this is perfect. Turntablelab has it now online: http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/217/958/14498.html

My review:

Fresh off "Best of The Bay" and "Soul Boulders" respectively, DJ Eleven and Matthew Africa drop another classic, hosted by none other than Too Short. Dirty Raps gathers 40 joints from Short's catalogue and guest appearances spanning 20 years, mixed smooth and fast. True to the warning labels on the 80s-cassette-inspired cover ["Dirty Rapps Inside Parental Guidance Suggested" and Warning: Ghetto Music!! Can Be Hazardous If Not Played L o u d], there's a whole lot of pimpin goin on and game being spit. Biiiiiitch, this is not for the faint of heart. Highlights are "In The Trunk," "Burn Rubber," "Short But Funky," "Buy You Some," "Blow the Whistle," "Bia Bia," "Fuck Faces..." shit the whole tape is pretty much highlights, it's the best of Too Short! Shorty the Pimp is joined by E-40, Jay-Z, Biggie, Lil Jon, Scarface, Devin, Casual, Keak da Sneak, Ice Cube, Parliament and more.

http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/217/958/14498.html

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    true fact: we have a cdr floating around with only the track "tell me when to go" on it...lil dude is always digging it out, saying "play the hyphy song...play the hyphy song...dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb...."
    did you play him "dumb girl"?

• There is no way anyone has made a better Best of Too Short, this is perfect.

Thanks for the props, homie. I can't tell you how flattering it is to hear that kind of praise from someone who undoubtedly knows how to make great mixtapes.

BTW, for the curious, there's a downloadable, 12-minute sampler of Dirty Raps available here.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!

• true fact: we have a cdr floating around with only the track "tell me when to go" on it...lil dude is always digging it out, saying "play the hyphy song...play the hyphy song...dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb...."
    did you play him "dumb girl"?

*yes T, I ONLY play crunk and hyphy music for my kids.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    YEAH M**thew! Bumpin this right now at work, Senor Esparza put me up on game. Gotta get me one of these. Very well done Sir Africa. PS: I like the way $hort says your name.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    YES. I am so excited for this shit!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Uh! This comp/mix is

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    fuck yeah mine came in the mail today. nice work guys.

i am really feeling the way short says "matthew F ri-ca"

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    i am really feeling the way short says "matthew F ri-ca"

PS: I like the way $hort says your name.

yes and yes.

• i am really feeling the way short says "matthew F ri-ca"

PS: I like the way $hort says your name.

yes and yes.

there's a funny story to that. eleven hooked up the drops through some people doing promo for jive. they were really helpful-- taking names, song titles, etc. and promptly shooting us back a well-recorded mp3 with about five minutes of audio. the drops came out really well, just $hort doing $hort catchphrases, saying our names, etc.

the only problem was that $hort apparently wasn't clear on my role in the process-- i.e., that i'm a dj and that i mixed a lot of it (maybe because i don't have "dj" in front of my name). as a result, all of the drops went something like "on the ones and twos, dj eleven... my man matthew africa in the house... too $hort on the mic'". there was no place where he said our names together, so i combed through the drops and strung them together, trying to make it sound as natural as possible. it didn't really work because the intonation he was using was really different for the two names. (plus dude just pronounces "africa" plain funny; oh well, i guess he never claimed to be a "conscious" rapper....)

still, i couldn't stop grinning for like two days after hearing $hort's voice saying "it's matthew africa, biiiiiiiiiiiitch!!!!!!!"

• this shit is great. gettin bumped in the wheeeeip all day. so necessary.

• is this around anywhere? i saw a mixcloud that doesn't work

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJEleven/dirty-raps-the-best-of-too-short/

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    is this around anywhere? i saw a mixcloud that doesn't work

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJEleven/dirty-raps-the-best-of-too-short/
    It plays fine for me..there's even a working downloadlink

• not in the US

"Sorry, this upload is unavailable in your country due to licensing restrictions"

but didn't see the dl link thanks

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    not in the US

"Sorry, this upload is unavailable in your country due to licensing restrictions"

but didn't see the dl link thanks
    Oh my