DJ ENKI's E-mail (damn funny)

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
This was one of the best things I've read on the internet in a minute. Shit like this is the reason why I haven't hit "SPAM" on dude.
Three things I saw walking to BART this morning:1) A heavily mustachioed woman. Certainly not the first time I've seen this, and being so close to Berkeley, it most assuredly won't be the last time, either, but hers was impressive--it's like she had a good Wolfman Jack going then decided to shave off the beard part. The kicker? She stops me and asks me--no bullshit--if "there's a shaving or cutlery store around." After looking around for the candid camera I was positive must've been there somewhere because this setup was just a little too perfect, I pointed out the shaving/cutlery store across the street. I didn't see any cameras, but I'm sure Allen Funt must've been posthumously behind that somehow.2) A very abusive dialogue written on a U-Haul truck. I didn't stop to read the whole thing, but from what I gather, the driver of the U-Haul nearly hit a pedestrian, and the pedestrian expressed his outrage via Sharpie on the U-Haul's white paint (lots of "I'll see you, bitch!" in there). So the driver of the U-Haul decides the best course of action is to write back and continue the conversation like the truck is some mobile bathroom stall (which I suppose, given the smell of the area, it could've been). And so this tough-guy back and forth ("I'll catch you out there!" "Fuck that, catch me right now, punk!") continued over a lot of the trim on the passenger's door. Mutually threatening dialogue written on the side of a rental truck???well, at least that's a new one.3) A couple of 14-year-old kids at a bus stop trying to holler at a 30-something businesswoman walking by. Naturally, they spit the finest game basic cable and rap fiction can teach you: "Ayyo shorty! Shorty! Yo, can I talk to you for a minute? Lemme walk with you!" Don't you just love it when people have no concept of the phrase "out of your league?"All this as I shamble 2/3 of a mile down Telegraph Avenue while trying to become fully awake. Man, I love Oakland.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this is making me nostalgic for my east bay days.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    10 minutes into my J-Church ride this morning, not one but TWO guys with Tourrette's get on together. One sits down with his Starbucks and begins to hum very, very loudly while rocking back and forth (yes Leo Mazzone). The other stands and continuously mutters under his breath, repeating key words like "Hepatitis" and "cocksucker."

Ah, public transportation.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Ah, public transportation.

[reynaldo]what's public transportation???[/reynaldo]

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

We need to put together a "You Know You're In Oakland When..." list

For me it would be "... when you see a dude walking down Market with a battle axe at 11am."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

For me it would be "... when you see a dude walking down Market with a battle axe at 11am."

When you see a dude that looks like a well-dressed, respectful business man until you notice the monstrous shit stains on the back of his pant legs.

• heavily mustachioed

can this combination of words move up into regular rotation please?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Enki should move to Brooklyn and he will see dozens of #3 every day

heavily mustachioed

Do you say mustachioed? I do.

Should we start a Carl Weathers Appreciation Society?

heavily mustachioed

Should we start a Carl Weathers Burt Reynolds Appreciation Society?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

When you see a dude that looks like a well-dressed, respectful business man until you notice the monstrous shit stains on the back of his pant legs.

Or when you notice he's walking down the street smoking a Cheech & Chong-sized spliff at lunchtime, but I guess that's not necessarily unique to Oakland.

I'm just glad this sort of stuff happens to me--it takes away the pressure of having to come up with something funny to write on my own. Gotta stay out of King Mostly's spam folder!

I do hope that U-Haul is still there on my way home, though. I want to read the entire conversation.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Gotta stay out of King Mostly's spam folder!

Man I wish all these e-mails I get about parties had this mentality.

HOTTEST EVENT OF THE SUMMER.OPEN BAR.FREE.SEXY OUTDOOR PATIO.

WHY SO MUCH BLAH BLAH?

which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask

working deejay dudes[/b]

Do you guys still do e-mail blast? I just feel now that everyone is on myspace there really isn't a need to do it anymore (plus those things are just a hassle to write).

Gotta stay out of King Mostly's spam folder!

Man I wish all these e-mails I get about parties had this mentality.

HOTTEST EVENT OF THE SUMMER.OPEN BAR.FREE.SEXY OUTDOOR PATIO.

WHY SO MUCH BLAH BLAH?

which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask

working deejay dudes[/b]

Do you guys still do e-mail blast? I just feel now that everyone is on myspace there really isn't a need to do it anymore (plus those things are just a hassle to write).

I still do email blasts, obviously, because that's what I'm used to doing, and also, pretty much everybody on my MySpace friend list who's in a position to come to an SF gig is already included in the email blast anyway.

heavily mustachioed

Carl Weathers would merk Burt Reynolds.

heavily mustachioed

Winner faces Rollie Fingers?

heavily mustachioed

in reality I would totally agree with this, but limiting it strictly to movie roles I still gotta go with Burt - I mean, how many times was he killed or beaten? Carl got iced in Predator, and got taken down by Rocky. Burt shot rednecks - with a bow and arrow - defeated the prison guards in football, outran the sherrif on smuggling runs - twice - and was totally badass in in Sharkey's Machine. But Carl did get Vanity.

And I don't think Carl is rocking a mustache anymore

now as for Bill Duke? Close call but Bill Duke is waaaay creepier.