Chamillionaire makes music for hackey-sackers!

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Archaic, holla!http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/23/arts/music/23play.htmlPlaylistAt the Beach With Worldly Pop or Comforting Rock Sign In to E-Mail This Print Reprints Save[/b] By BENJAMIN BRIDWELLPublished: July 23, 2006BEFORE they were the rock duo Band of Horses, Benjamin Bridwell and Mat Brooke were in the Seattle group Carissa???s Wierd. Back then, Mr. Bridwell was the drummer. After the band???s demise, he found himself at the studio where the equipment was kept, fiddling with all the instruments by himself. A ninth-grade dropout, Mr. Bridwell began writing and, with Mr. Brooke, formed Band of Horses. The name, inspired by a friend???s short story about a girl and her horse, was actually the Horses, but another group had claimed that back in the 1970???s, and the domain Bandofhorses.com was available. The name stuck. The duo???s first album, ???Everything All the Time??? (Sub Pop), was released in March to generally strong reviews for its mournful songs and reverbed vocals; comparisons to My Morning Jacket and Neil Young abounded. The band has been touring steadily since (although Mr. Brooke remained in Seattle to mind a bar he recently opened, and three back-up musicians are playing in his place). Another tour begins in September. After partying into the night and skateboarding into the early morning recently, Mr. Bridwell, 28, spoke from West Columbia, S.C., with Winter Miller about what he???s listening to now. I heard the song ???Say Something??? while watching MTV2???s ???Subterranean,??? the indie rock show, and I saw Dr. Dog???s video, which was the coolest video I???d seen on that show. I was immediately intrigued, and I bought ???Easy Beat??? (Future Farmer) the next day. It???s real poppy and sometimes a bit spastic. They have really good changes. There are like two songs in every song. They???ll do a nice bridge, go into a great chord change, it???s just perfect. They have great backing harmony, not doo-wops but that kind of style. The background vocals are like another instrument. It???s also got some George Harrison-like styling on it, but the vocal patterns switch it up so often. It???s fun, happy music, good for partying at barbecues or playing Hacky Sack.[/b] I don???t actually play Hacky Sack, but I bet it would be good. Ghostface Killah I am a big fan of all the Wu Tang stuff, so I was anticipating ???Fishscale??? (Def Jam) for a while. I bought it the first day, and we???ve been listening to it constantly for the past month. The guy is just murdering the game, in the lingo. The whole album is so hungry, it has some of the best hooks on it. The lyrics are out of control and hilarious. ???Be Easy??? is an awesome song: it???s all about New York. There???s also the song ???Kilo??? featuring Raekwon, which has great female backing; the lyrics just grab you. I can???t quote the lyrics because it???s a family paper, but on the sixth song he comes out and he says, ???Ya???ll be nice to the crackheads.??? You really should be nice to the crackheads, they???re struggling. DeVotchKa We???ve been listening to ???Curse Your Little Heart??? (Ace Fu Records) on tour constantly. DeVotchKa is a Denver quartet, and the album???s got this really nice laid-back but worldly style. The singing is so good and bizarre, but it???s attention grabbing. Sometimes that kind of stuff can take a while to warm up to, but we took right to it. It almost feels like you???ve heard the songs before. There???s ???Somethin??? Stupid???: it???s real sweet, with a Caribbean feel to it, like being on a beach in summer. ???I Cried Like a Silly Boy??? begins with this nice vocal melody. As soon as you put it on, it gets stuck in your head, and you???re like, ???My Lord!??? This guy can sing, he can totally go Thom Yorke, like an aria kind of style, but he also keeps it right on the edge. His voice is butter. Chad VanGaalen He???ll perform by himself with a kick drum, a tambourine and maybe a bass, but other times he???ll have a louder number that???s real poppy, and he???ll throw in an indie rock anthem. On the album of ???Skelliconnection??? (due Aug. 22 on Sub Pop), ???Burn to Ash??? just goes all over the place. It???s real mellow, a bit sad or morose at times and then completely uplifting. He is compared with Neil Young sometimes because he???ll do acoustic guitar and harmonica, and he???s got a high voice. He???s also got a Daniel Johnston kind of feel, but he???s just doing his own thing. His lyrics are really insightful. He???ll hit you with lines that can crush you. His records are spooky sometimes, or sweet or anthemic. Grandaddy My dad, my uncle, my brother and me, we???ve all been Grandaddy fans for quite a while. We all share music. So we were waiting to hear the new one. We think it???s their final record. I first heard them when I was 19 or 20. They put out a little EP that I got in Canada, and at first I thought he sounded like Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips, but Grandaddy had a poppier edge. I was a sucker for it immediately. I bought ???Just Like the Fambly Cat??? (V2) before I went on a beach vacation all by myself. No cell reception, no street lights, no TV, the most isolated I???d ever been. I was a little scared, but I was calmed listening to ???Where I???m Anymore??? and ???Skateboarding Saves Me Twice.??? ???Where I???m Anymore??? reminded me of being a kid, and we???d leave the doors open and party in the house to Luther Vandross and Steely Dan. There???s a chorus where he does these ???meow meows,??? and it totally made me smile. Chamillionaire We listen to ???Ridin??? ??? over and over. We???re probably so obnoxious, a bunch of white dudes bouncing to that song. We also play it before we go onstage. He???s talking about how the cops are trying to catch him ???ridin??? dirty??? ??? intoxicated ??? but there???s no way they can catch him. The chorus is so catchy. The way he approaches the vocal melody, he drops the bass down low, and it adds to the hook. It???s impossible to deny. ???The Sound of Revenge??? (Universal) is really well done; it has a bit more flow to it than his earlier stuff. Two hours into this tour from Washington, we were pulled over by the cops, so ???Ridin??? ??? is kind of an anthem for our tour. The cops were good to us because we were on our way to play a show with Shooter Jennings in Spokane, and they were fans of Shooter???s. They let us off with some traffic tickets, so we could get to our show. And they did catch us ridin??? dirty.[/b]

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    thanks(!!!)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So did 2Pac then.

I would think the more pressing issue here though is that you read articles written by hacky-sackers.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Ghostface Killah

I am a big fan of all the Wu Tang stuff, so I was anticipating ???Fishscale??? (Def Jam) for a while. I bought it the first day, and we???ve been listening to it constantly for the past month. The guy is just murdering the game, in the lingo. The whole album is so hungry, it has some of the best hooks on it. The lyrics are out of control and hilarious. ???Be Easy??? is an awesome song: it???s all about New York. There???s also the song ???Kilo??? featuring Raekwon, which has great female backing; the lyrics just grab you. I can???t quote the lyrics because it???s a family paper, but on the sixth song he comes out and he says, ???Ya???ll be nice to the crackheads.??? You really should be nice to the crackheads, they???re struggling.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The guy is just murdering the game, in the lingo. The whole album is so hungry

it has a bit more flow to it than his earlier stuff

don't you guys just love when people who don't know anything about rap music try to describe rap music in the vernacular?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

How did Wu Tang become the collegiate rap fan touchpoint for all indie rock dudes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The guy is just murdering the game, in the lingo. The whole album is so hungry

it has a bit more flow to it than his earlier stuff

don't you guys just love when people who don't know anything about rap music try to describe rap music in the vernacular?

What are you--one of those guys that thinks white people shouldn't use the lingo?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    He???s talking about how the cops are trying to catch him ???ridin??? dirty??? ??? intoxicated ??? but there???s no way they can catch him.[/b]

Steady denyin that its racial profilin

This internet campaign of yours, faux, is really pathetic in revealing both how disconnected and hateful you insist on being.

*But anything for laughs, right?*

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Whats this disagreement about exactly? Chamillionaire?

This internet campaign of yours, faux, is really pathetic in revealing both how disconnected and hateful you insist on being.

What campaign is that, exactly?

What campaign is that, exactly?

To attempt to invalidate Cham's street cred solely based on you not liking his new album.

Just leave it at you don't like the album...because any other venom you try to add to it only makes you look foolish.

Then again, that's never stopped you before.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

How did Wu Tang become the collegiate rap fan touchpoint for all indie rock dudes.

That happened years ago, surely? In London, I used to see flyers for indie rock club nights, the kind where the promoters list the names of all their favourite bands on the flyer, as if to say, "Come to our club and hear all this cool music", and Wu-Tang would be, without fail, the only rap group whose name you'd ever see on one.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I donno I didn't get that out of his post, it seemed more like he was clowning indie rock cornball #2,367. I think "Ridin Dirty" is dope but most of that album was pretty weak. I like Cham generally though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

That happened years ago, surely? In London, I used to see flyers for indie rock club nights, the kind where the promoters list the names of all their favourite bands on the flyer, as if to say, "Come to our club and hear all this cool music", and Wu-Tang would be, without fail, the only rap group whose name you'd ever see on one.

Oh yeah its been like this for a while, but certainly that crowd popped up sometime after Forever right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I donno I didn't get that out of his post, it seemed more like he was clowning indie rock cornball #2,367. I think "Ridin Dirty" is dope but most of that album was pretty weak. I like Cham generally though.

This a big dogs debate. I would advise you to ease back w/ some popcorn.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Oh yeah its been like this for a while, but certainly that crowd popped up sometime after Forever right?

M-E-T-H-O-D Man
    Bring the Pain
    ODB w/ Mariah Carey

No, I remember indie rock/college radio type dudes that didn't otherwise listen to rap being into Wu-Tang as far back as '94.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

M-E-T-H-O-D Man
    Bring the Pain
    ODB w/ Mariah Carey

Indie rock dudes liking songs with mariah carey is a recent phenomenon.
    I don't know about all this. But hey, I wasnt in college til '01.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

This a big dogs debate. I would advise you to ease back w/ some popcorn.

It sounds like a boring as fuck debate. Lets go back to rofling at indie rockers using scare quotes with rap slang or saying things like 'in the lingo' or 'in the parlance of our times.'

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like hackey sack. i do not like that "ridin dirty" song. i think its stupid.

but its funny that you bring it up cuz i was riding around town with my deadhead homie and i asked him if he had any doj on him and he broke out into that ridin dirty song. it was only good cuz he sang it. otherwise, that song is crap.

There is no debate.

But I'd really love for faux to uncover the insecurities that make him bash anyone whose music he doesn't like or understand as someone that true thugs like himself (we're left to suppose) should no longer endorse.

Then again, he also wants us to go back and recognize the genius of the first Justin Timberlake album.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

But hey, I wasnt in college til '01.

between this comment and his preference for Chronic 2000 over the OG, I am slowly piecing together deej's age....

I'm like a detective on this schitt say word.

it's all love though deej we need some younger cats in here; the oldtimers waaaay too jaded sometimes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    b-b-but aside from the ballads that timberlake album is, in the lingo, fresh to def

There is no debate.

But I'd really love for faux to uncover the insecurities that make him bash anyone whose music he doesn't like or understand as someone that true thugs like himself (we're left to suppose) should no longer endorse.

Get off it, Shied. As much as you like to see yourself as being at the center of an epic struggle between good, as represented by Chamillionaire, and evil, as represented by carpetbagging hatteurs such as myself, no bashing of Chamillionaire has taken place in this thread.

And I'm nothing but happy to see him making money and getting exposure.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Anyone heard or seen Dr. Dog?

i am into them and have been trying to check out one of their shows for a while now. Could see it being good with a lot of energy and clumsiness or a drunken spectacle with lots of clumsiness.

i like the album, its a fun listen.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    What are you--one of those guys that thinks white people shouldn't use the lingo?

I'll murder you in the lingo, yo.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Chamillionaire is horrible. He's like the Steve Urkel of the hyped up rap game.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Chamillionaire is horrible. He's like the Steve Urkel of the hyped up rap game.

ahahahaha!

dont you mean stefan urKEL?