Brooklyn Express and Began Cekic (BC) records

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I've read a little about this guy in some interview with Steinski. I am not too much into those 80s hits mixes that he "did". but Brooklyn Express "Burnin' Hot" and "Hollywood Party" and other 12"s by them are hot!BUt what is the deal with this guy -- and does anyone know who the Brooklyn Express were? Why does he get all the credit? Who were the players? SHare some knowledge.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The end of Hollywood Party is a ripoff of Cymande's Bra.
    Began Cekic is collectible, people like the due.
    Was his name a pseudonym? I don't remember. He produced some other stuff by some girl singer. It was ok as far as disco 12"s go, average.
    Peace
    T.N.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Began Cekic is collectible, people like the due.
    Was his name a pseudonym? I don't remember. He produced some other stuff by some girl singer. It was ok as far as disco 12"s go, average.

Eh, most aren't collectible at all I don't think... $10 max, almost always less, which is cheap for good disco

And I think the singer you're talking about is Francie Simone or something like that? I consider the record I have from her above average.

There are many names, at least a few labels, don't have much/any background on him but I know some other Strutters do... I've read about him before and would like to be refreshed...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You're right Digdug, what I probably should have said is I think this dude has a low end cult following of like a Pickwick Larry Levan. Still overstated?
    Yes, Francie Simone. I don't likes it.
    T.N.

• Options
    "Cheeky Began Cekic and his crew of merry pranksters at BC/ One Way used the popular tunes of the moment for inspiration, all be it just a little too literally...giving New York its very own cover version factory. Some releases were straight covers, others cleverly interpolated hooks from a multitude of sources. Sure, Cekic put out original material too, but you probably wouldn t have heard of him if he d only done that! Name-
    wise, the main protagonists of this mayhem were Brooklyn Express and Hi Voltage; and Somewhere Beyond has sustained healthy interest since reaching these shores in 1982. It is, of course, the alternate mix, Let's Get Horny which normally gets the attention, but you ll hopefully welcome a
    variation on the theme. This inspired fusing of Quartz s Beyond The Clouds and Dan Hartman s Relight My Fire just refuses to be extinguished. Mixed with love by the late, great Tee Scott"

Yeah, nothing worth more than $10. I use the "girl you need a Change of Mind" for record inserts if you want to give them to me.

K.

like a Pickwick Larry Levan.

I'm witcha, agreed

Souf - as far as I'm aware most of his titles are dollarbincommons. Never heard of any of them going for loot but I'm not surprised that he's got one or two. Never seen "Change of Mind" but I've been looking.

Other than the GRAINERS (sp?) what originals did he put out???

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I don't know much about him, but I've got a 12" by him: "Computer Wars" (One Way Records). OK electro, but nothing outstanding.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

This is a great record. It's a bit more than $10 mint but nothing crazy. Also great version of "Love Is THe Message" and Sugarbear is some classic shit. Good version of "Voices In My Head". There are some clunkers on the label, but the ones above, "69" and "Let's Get Horny" are dope for real, classic shit. "Computer Wars" is much better than OK electro... again, a classic record out here. You can run that shit in almost any set too. Again, $20 or so mint... not all of these are bullshit. Don't sleeeeeep

Began Cekic is dude's real name. Eastern European something. He used to live out here in the Kensington/Midwood/Borough Park area. Very interesting story with him and Tee Scott. Good records IMO.

• mimmim 44 Posts
    The guy is from down here... (ex-)Yugoslavian.

When a surname ends with '-ic' (pronounced '-ich', or sometimes translated to english and written that way to keep the pronounciation) you can't miss...

'-icz' is yet a polish form of that slavic surname prefix.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    from jah sonic: interview with Tee Scott by Daniel Wang

Who was Began Cekic? And what was the deal with those grungy little One Way Records that you mixed? He made that version of Love Is the Message where he seems to be playing the keyboards himself....

Began Cekic was a real case. He was a Yugoslavian guy with this little record company - One Way was a subsidiary of his main label, B.C. Recards, which he eventually changed to One Way. He was the king of the copiers. He got a hold of me, and he treated me to all kinds of baubles (laughter); he bought me two huge 1500's, or 1520 tapedecks, the model they used in the studio with a "Store" feature and the extra sections for your tone generators, which were built-in; it cost about $4000. And then he bought me the 1506, which was a 4-track recorder. These were all gifts for doing those reca-ds for him.

So he was the original bootlegger, so to say? Did he make money?

He made a lot of money on those! He did Love Is the Message, Sixty-Nine, Eighty-Eight, Beyond the Clouds, Relight My Fire, Computer Games, all of those... He took me to Florida, too. Of course he did cover records, really because he didn't sample anybody else's records - it wasn`t possible then,-- he just did things that sounded close to them. And after a while, he started getting involved in stuff that I felt I should back out of. He started getting really ridiculaus and stepping over the line with a lot of stuff. I lost touch with him after a while.

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    Other than the GRAINERS (sp?) what originals did he put out???

Francie Simone