Old News but worth mention (basketball-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Lebron James in HS = NOT FAIR.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It used to kill me when Lebron was in HS and these so called "experts" would be on tv talking about "is he the real thing? can he make it in the NBA?" Cotdamn, I could be Jose Feliciano and see that this kid was gonna come right into the league . He was obviously one of those rare natural talents that only come along once in a blue moon. Same thing with ya boy Kobe at Lower Merion... yeah, he was playing against a bunch of pimple faced kids who were nowhere near his level, but regardless, his athleticism was clearly

You seen OJ Mayo yet? I still haven't checked any highlights that tell me that he has that same kind of natural ability, regardless of all the advance hype.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    cot damn

amare's gonna be back, too

this coming NBA season gonna be pure

• just remember this every time you read an article by charley rosen

"A note to long-suffering Cavaliers' fans. Don't get caught in the LeBron James pipe dream. The best King James can ever be is an average NBA player"

i mean wasn't it obvious to anyone paying attention that this kid was special even then ?

OJ mayo is much more of a wildcard to me, phill. i mean he's damn impressive, but he's only 6'4" so he's going to have a much tougher road to hoe than lebron did .. but of course the next in the 'high schoolers who already look like they're 30' lineage is greg oden .. it'll be nice to have another true center in the league .. but yeah, he's pretty much every bit of a lock as lebron was coming out of HS .. and he'll have another year to mature at that

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    cot damn

I hope you're right. He had that microfracture surgery that no one seems to be able to come back from--I'm thinkin' Penny being struck down in his heyday.

Oh, and Lebron is

• Dude was a fucking monster in HS. Any doubters at the time were idiots.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    cot damn

YES:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dude was a fucking monster in HS. Any doubters at the time were idiots.

Yeah, but ive seen a lot of mofos get HS hype and then disappear in the pros. Felipe Lopez anyone.
    So i can understand when writers dont hop on the bandwagon.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It used to kill me when Lebron was in HS and these so called "experts" would be on tv talking about "is he the real thing? can he make it in the NBA?" Cotdamn, I could be Jose Feliciano and see that this kid was gonna come right into the league . He was obviously one of those rare natural talents that only come along once in a blue moon. Same thing with ya boy Kobe at Lower Merion... yeah, he was playing against a bunch of pimple faced kids who were nowhere near his level, but regardless, his athleticism was clearly

You seen OJ Mayo yet? I still haven't checked any highlights that tell me that he has that same kind of natural ability, regardless of all the advance hype.

What it dew? Yea, Lebron, Kobe are a different breed for sure. And they're gonna be extremely tough acts to follow. Oj Mayo will probably have decent success in the league, but I don't think he's gonna follow in the footsteps of these other dudes.

When you look at dudes like Kevin Garnett, Kobe, Amare, and Lebron. Like you said Phil, they all had the explosive offensive game. And I think that's one of the things that's essential when making the jump from HS stardom to NBA stardom.

Back to Lebron James though. He's clearly the best high school player ever.

He's clearly the best high school player ever.

Back that statement up.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Back that statement up.

1) Crazy court vision.

2) Single-handedly dictated the flow of the game.

3) Monster tomahawk dunks.

4) Nice J

5) 6'8", 220(?)lb frame = NBA-ready

6) And because of 1-5, he created all kinds of matchup problems.

7) Withstood the most media frenzy and attention that ANY HS player has ever had to deal with.

For further evidence of his domination and maturity in HS, let's not forget his Rookie season stat line in the L:

Points 20.9
    Assists 5.9
    Rebounds 5.5
    Steals 1.65

Best HS playa ever.

Back that statement up.
    1) Crazy court vision.

2) Single-handedly dictated the flow of the game.
    3) Monster tomahawk dunks.
    4) Nice J
    5) 6'8", 220(?)lb frame = NBA-ready
    6) And because of 1-5, he created all kinds of matchup problems.
    7) Withstood the most media frenzy and attention that ANY HS player has ever had to deal with.
    For further evidence of his domination and maturity in HS, let's not forget his Rookie season stat line in the L:
    Points 20.9
    Assists 5.9
    Rebounds 5.5
    Steals 1.65
    Best HS playa ever.

You complain about cats callin MJ GOAT w/out factoring other cats accomplishments, well your jumpin on the bandwagon w/ extreme statements like this....

Best Evar = No such thing, but ill give an example of a cat that has crazy stats.....

Bird was one of the top basketball players in the state of Indiana and the nation in his senior season at French Lick (Indiana) Springs Valley High School. He scored 764 points in 25 games for a 30.6 average with 516 rebounds and 107 assists. He scored 353 points for a 16.0 average as a junior for an overall high school career average of 22.9. Bird went on to have amazing careers at Indiana State University, where he was voted college player of the year as a senior, and also with the Boston Celtics, where he was selected NBA rookie of the year in 1980.