Brian Wilson vs. Prince ?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This is another one of my co- worker's questions.My knowledge of Wilson is limited. I always hear about "PET...." beingthe shit.I know Wilson's importance, but I grew up on Prince knowinghow he changed the landscape. My co-worker stated that Wilson has more number 1 pop singles than Prince. Discuss.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Brian wilson

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    My co-worker stated that Wilson has more number 1 pop singles than Prince.

I'm confused by this question (and am not sure if I should be entertaining it). Are you asking about their #1s in the context as songwriters or as artists? I think the Beach Boys only had like four #1 hit singles over the span of their career (the most recent being "Kokomo"). I'm certain Prince has had at least five (including "Batdance" haha).

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    prince by a landslide.if you want to talk numbers,tours, or influence.all these people that say "brian wilson' probably thought "love below" was innovative as hell, when it was all majorly prince influenced.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    These are not two people you can compare.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

This is a silly debate that should be ended NOW

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    love below sucked

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Seriously...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Seriously...
    Why Not. Two Genre stretching musicians cant be compared?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'll just say that if anyone ever had sex to some Brian Wilson, I don't envy that session.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Buddy Guy

• brian wilson has to be the most overhyped producer ever. excellent ear and genius arranger but what did he do really? fuse martin denny, phil spector and cali-cheese beach culture. the guy is more famous for losing his mind than any record he ever made. i was sick of 'good vibrations' by the time i was eight.

that said, i don't hate his music. considering how he was able to write and arrange on the fly in the studio...i bet brian wilson would have been a hell of a dj.

everything prince did until he tried to come to grips with new jack and hip hop was great.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Seriously...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is another one of my co- worker's questions.
    My knowledge of Wilson is limited. I always hear about "PET...." being
    the shit.

Thank you for bringing this up. We have never discussed Pet Sounds here before and it's a very important record. Hip Hop and modern soul would not exist with out Pet Sounds.

My co-worker stated that Wilson has more number 1 pop singles than Prince. Discuss.

Brian Wilson had one billboard pop hit. Oh Caroline it reached #32.

Prince had 3 pop # 1s between 84-86, my book ends at 1988 so I don't know what he did after that. He had 5 R&B #1s by 1988.

Your co-worker is an idiot. Why do you keep posting his questions?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    We have never discussed Pet Sounds here before and it's a very important record. Hip Hop and modern soul would not exist with out Pet Sounds.

wow

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    WOW @ you replying at threads well over 5 years old ;)