13th floor elevators for Dell commercial

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
they use 'you're gonna miss me'. so weird. this is almost as frightening as the kinks' 'i'm not like everybody' else IBM commercial where the business people as lipsyncing really badly

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    yeah, I caught that too, had to do a double take. Slight cring, but I guess there's the Austin connection.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    yeah, I caught that too, had to do a double take.

I was watching TV with all five of my roommates and I yelled out "holy shit, it's the 13th Floor Elevators!" They looked at me like I was crazy.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah i was stunned at first too. i was like "WAIT A MINUTE HERE" and my friend looked at me like i was crazy too.

i didn't make the austin connection. you are smart. it makes more sense than the kentucky fried chicken commercial that uses 'sweet home alabama'

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    An even stranger thing happened about 8 years ago while I was watching a show on Nickelodeon with my daughter called "My So-Called Life" and during a shot of the young girl's bedroom there was the cover from the Elevators "Psychedelic Sounds" LP framed and hanging on the wall.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Personally I would have used "Slip Inside This House" but I am weird like that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    they use 'you're gonna miss me'. so weird. this is almost as frightening as the kinks' 'i'm not like everybody' else IBM commercial where the business people as lipsyncing really badly

Money in Roky Erickson's pocket while he's still alive to enjoy/use it = a really great look

I hope that's what's happened

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

i didn't make the austin connection. you are smart.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I was watching TV with all five of my roommates and I yelled out "holy shit, it's the 13th Floor Elevators!" They looked at me like I was crazy.

You have five roommates?!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

You have five roommates?!

Yeah yeah, I know. We rent a mansion in Saratoga that has a huge backyard with a pool, jacuzzi and of course a putting green complete with 2 sandtraps. I keep thinking I should move out and get my own place as part of my grown up movement, but it's hard to justify leaving that house for an apartment 1/10th the size for twice as much money.

Here's us setting up for our Halloween party (Picture taken from putting green).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Holy shit. I must see this. This sounds almost as weird as those Powerade spots with The Monks' "Monk Time" as the instrumental bed (STILL ticked about those).

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    An even stranger thing happened about 8 years ago while I was watching a show on Nickelodeon with my daughter called "My So-Called Life" and during a shot of the young girl's bedroom there was the cover from the Elevators "Psychedelic Sounds" LP framed and hanging on the wall.

Holy Shit! same moment, but with my little sister!

• They were showing "My So Called Life" on Nickelodeon?!?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Money in Roky Erickson's pocket while he's still alive to enjoy/use it = a really great look

I hope that's what's happened

i feel the same way... there was a ladybug transistor song (used for some bank) during the superbowl 4-5yrs ago that made me cringe. then there was the kinks "picture book" for some epson printer shit, and the sonics' "have love wil travel" that made me feel like, whatever. at least good bands are making that cash and getting a broader audience. if you think about it like this: people who go "whoa! that song is sick as fuck!" will get into a great band. or most people out there won't notice unless there are some big titties shaking the screen off of their TVs. who cares? go roky.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    haven't seen it yet but girlfriend told me about a commercial that she thinks uses a 13th Floor Elevators song in it because the song has that bubbly dooboodoobooloopooduhdoobooloopooloopoodootoooduhloopoodoopoo sound in it. My onomatopoeia game is kinda weak this morning, But WHAT IS THAT SOUND? What instrument?

• haven't seen it yet but girlfriend told me about a commercial that she thinks uses a 13th Floor Elevators song in it because the song has that bubbly dooboodoobooloopooduhdoobooloopooloopoodootoooduhloopoodoopoo sound in it. My onomatopoeia game is kinda weak this morning, But WHAT IS THAT SOUND? What instrument?

Amplified jug (see on left)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i really hope roky is getting the money for this.

• haven't seen it yet but girlfriend told me about a commercial that she thinks uses a 13th Floor Elevators song in it because the song has that bubbly dooboodoobooloopooduhdoobooloopooloopoodootoooduhloopoodoopoo sound in it. My onomatopoeia game is kinda weak this morning, But WHAT IS THAT SOUND? What instrument?
    tomy hall, electric jug

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i really hope roky is getting the money for this.

That's why I was ticked about the Monks/Powerade issue - Eddie Shaw (bassist) told me that Coca-Cola used it under inauspicious means to begin with, and then took years to begin the payments. Stereotypical bullshit.