Record Revival Review ::: May 22nd, 2005

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Sunday was the second installment of the Northeast???s most increasingly anticipated and Strutter-friendly record shows in North Philly. Great records for decent prices, amicable sellers and attendees, full bar with Lager fountain (pssh), fish fry and quality DJs. Basically, everything was on point. I???ll let the pictures (and captions) tell the rest of the story???

Ray and Pay

Raj tha Don

Mooovin' Day...

"Why I can't dig anymore!" (my wife related) ... SIKE!

Who knew stocking caps could stretch that big?

Where's Waldo...I mean Gandalf, wait - both??

Local doo-wop man on the prowl (complete w/ Jheri Tail)

Using that Finnish charm to get a discount...saucy!

Kool-Aid must have pulled some fire, even Chilly Phill feels the heat. (No Miami)

A young buck learns Econ 101 (and not to upset Tony in the process)

As Bam says, "(page me)"

"Yes We Can, Can" (One upping the Pointer Sisters in the fashion game)

And now...the most elegant way I've ever seen a needle handled. (Take notes, folls)

Mr. Most, casting Just Sunshine

Old Heads

The Booty

[color:#666666]* If anybody would like their picuture removed, please let me know (sooner than later) [/color]

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Mars Attacks???

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    These are good photographs, Drew. What kind of camera are you using? Thanks for cropping before you posted.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Mars Attacks???

Nice pics drewn! That dude with the head wrap was like 7 foot. This was another killer show record-wise. The vibe was less familia-like than round 1, but I was pretty much all business anyway as my wife was blowing up my Sidekick. I got to enjoy a Heineken, though. I don't remember seeing Sampo, either... then again I bounced rather early. See ya next show!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

The Booty

[color:#666666]* If anybody would like their picuture removed, please let me know (sooner than later) [/color]

DIE DIE DIE DIE!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    it was a fun show, definitely worth the drive up from baltimore. i didn't really connect too many dots or put names with faces, but next time. we were located next to tripledouble's table of heat...so we were, how do you say--outclassed. heh. still sold enough jazz/rock/weirdness to pick up some 45s so it all worked out.

Where's Waldo...I mean Gandalf, wait - both??

Waldalf was wearing a leather weight belt for the first half of the show--couldn't stop smirking over that. he definitely came equipped.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Jonny looks kinda Before-Night-Falls-ish in that photo:

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Great pics Drew. I recognize a couple DC dealers in there too... Tim of Rasslin Records (bald white dude) and the cabbie from the DC Fleas (hommie with a ponytail and hat)...I think. Definitely seems like a familia vibe still though.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Tim of Rasslin Records (bald white dude)

dude is super chill & has some great reggae records.

the show looked like it was fun, weather looked nice up there as well. How were the prices?

• Options
    DC would be the little brother city to Miami, New York and Toronto as far as reggae records go. Couple distibution centers there.

K.

• Options

Ray and Pay

Raj tha Don

Mooovin' Day...

?, K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Yes I bought a lot of stuff from this dude, although at an earlier show.

Prices were reasonable.

Raj tha Don

?, K.

Drew caught me in my pre-dig meditation.

Raj tha Don

?, K.

Tom schooled the boy on the science of record visualization!

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

Yes I bought a lot of stuff from this dude, although at an earlier show.

Prices were reasonable.

Yeah Tim is def a cool guy and loves to chat, used to also be a radio DJ as well. He lives bout 2 miles from me, and I'm positive reggae collection is classic (I'm reggae knowledge deficient though). He also turns up decent funk 45s from time to time.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Fluffer?

(Sorry, Ray!)

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

PRE-DIG MEDITATION MANTRAS[/b]

1. "There is no spoon."
    2. Boogie, Modern, Boogie, Modern, Boogie, Modern [visualized]
    3. "Get in. Get out. All prices negotiable. (Don't foget diapers on the way home.)"
    4. "Wetmouth poptarts get out of my way."
    5. "Diplo may be cute, but I'm grown & sessy."

(plaese to add more)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

1. "So now I'm King of the Internet HUBS. Somehow it feels so empty."

2. "Damn, it's 5 o'clock and I've been out here since 3:15. Maybe when wifey said 'BE WAITING FOR ME OUTSIDE AT THREE O'CLOCK SHARP OR I'M LEAVING YOUR ASS,' she meant it."

3. "Wait. Is today Pap Day?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

1. I love the smell of milldew in the morning. Smells like...Victory.

2. I can't wait to hear the next chapter of "trapped in the closet". What will happen to R. Kelly next?

3. "Lobster or crab tonight? I can't decide."

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i had my share of record related highlights and lowlights this weekend.

i gotta say that once again the people made it great. phillyfamlee,strutters, happygolucky dealers, newfaces...man everyone was chill and relaxed, besides things being busy busy at the show.
    i really gotta send super shouts to phil and drew for looking out for me when a situation got hectic. that meant a lot fellas. thanks.

i guess therell be another in late fall? is sunday a bad day? what should be different? anyone try the fish/ chili?
    comments about the djs??? i mean, you know tonyd and phil was going to play raers and butters, but that crazy blue haired lady niced it up too. prrrrrrrrrrrrrops.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that crazy blue haired lady niced it up too. prrrrrrrrrrrrrops.
    i saw her dj at savales the other night. it was williamsburgh, so i didnt blink, but i did notice a few moderate raers get dropped.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Mr. Most, casting Just Sunshine

Boy, I just KNEW I was not gonna get a decent candid pic yesterday! Ha ha, it's all good. THAT CHILI WAS BANGIN', MANE!!! What up with that recipe?

• djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
    Mr. Webb? my favorite philly spot.

I wish I was still up in the Northeast for times like those.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i went to the first one, but couldn't go to this one.
    i'm going to def. try and be at the next! because that first one was CLASSIC!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

PRE-DIG MEDITATION MANTRAS[/b]

1. "There is no spoon."
    2. Boogie, Modern, Boogie, Modern, Boogie, Modern [visualized]
    3. "Get in. Get out. All prices negotiable. (Don't foget diapers on the way home.)"
    4. "Wetmouth poptarts get out of my way."
    5. "Diplo may be cute, but I'm grown & sessy."

(plaese to add more)
    You have to be born with it. Cofusious say, "Shoot the Gift"

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts
    did anybody get crunk up in their on some obolong?

I could see the Count getting all tow up in and attacking people with good intentions but bad results.

nice haul Drewn ... looks nice a fuck out there right now.

peace

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

The Booty

DIE DIE DIE DIE!

You got excellent tastes Drewn. I see you're a quality man over quantity.

The Booty

DIE DIE DIE DIE!

You got excellent tastes Drewn. I see you're a quality man over quantity.

I think what Young Phoniks means is that he's not a size man...

TONY:

1. Chili was bangin! But I said that already.

2. lighting... man, the lighting was really bad in there. Definitely made some questionable decisions on condition...

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    yes. good show. i just wish my pockets were deeper.

• legendlegend 124 Posts
    2. lighting... man, the lighting was really bad in there. Definitely made some questionable decisions on condition...

thats how the first one was...lighting was dark. i meant to tell u to take a lil flashlight or something with you. i wish i could've been there, but the fam went through some realness this past week. at least i finally got to meet the infamous johnny paycheck here in b-more though.

holla at me tripledouble..so we can finish up that biz...and hopefully the next show will be sometime around july or august. i'll definitely be there for that one.

From the Record Revival website:

Next Show...Sunday May 22nd, at the U.A.C.A.

The U.A.C.A. (Ukie Club), 847 N Franklin St. (bet 7th and 8th @ Poplar St.) Philadelphia, PA

The show runs from 4pm to 10pm. This way, you don't have to wake up too early on your weekend.

This one is going to be better than ever, with more food, more DJays, more wax, and yes....more light[/b]... We had to switch locations because we wanted more space, so please don't get lost. Mapquest or email for directions.

I'm really excited folks, as there are going to be a lot more records! The Djay line-ups are going to be really good, with folks coming from NYC, VA, DC, and of course some of Philly's finest. And did I mention the fish-fry yet?! Well, get yourself down here with some wax (or pick some up here), grap a Yuengling and a fish sandwich, and enjoy.

For tables, or any other [email]information....dig@record-revival.com[/email]

Aaah no... This venue was just as bad as the last one concerning low light. I had to run my thumb along the LP to feel for deep marks, play grade some of the more expensive pieces, and just plain old gambled on some of the $3 joints that had some sheen. Next time... coal miners' helmet it is.