New Bobby Rush album

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
its called "Folk Funk" semi-decent funky blues album...no suprises...just thought I would mention it because of the title.has "Chicken Heads-Refried" sounds pretty much like the original except it has some wha wha guitar pushed all up in your face.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

has "Chicken Heads-Refried" sounds pretty much like the original except it has some wha wha guitar pushed all up in your face.
    Would you happen to have an mp3?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

has "Chicken Heads-Refried" sounds pretty much like the original except it has some wha wha guitar pushed all up in your face.
    Would you happen to have an mp3?

its playing in the shop right now, but I will be happy to when it is finsihed playing...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dude was at the blues stage at Bumbershoot two years ago. He put Luke Skywalker to shame with his gal pals in minis shaking that thing. I wish I had photo documentation of the horrified expressions on all those 50-something blues fest tie-die wearing scrubnicks' faces, who sat there mortified by his rawness.

Weird, our blues promo dude just brought the promo to us, but it seems that this is an album from 2004??? so I dont know if it is new or not...

anway, here is an MP3 of Chicken Heads Refried for your enjoyment

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

What you got here is a TEXT FILE?!

I always appreciated Rush's consistency... his 45s mostly sounded the same over a long stretch of time

What you got here is a TEXT FILE?!

I always appreciated Rush's consistency... his 45s mostly sounded the same over a long stretch of time

I dont know what is going on...its an MP3...it was fucking up when I put the extension on it. just download it and play it in real or media player..it will work.

ok, should be fixed now

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dude was at the blues stage at Bumbershoot two years ago. He put Luke Skywalker to shame with his gal pals in minis shaking that thing. I wish I had photo documentation of the horrified expressions on all those 50-something blues fest tie-die wearing scrubnicks' faces, who sat there mortified by his rawness.

Ha! - even better was seeing him do it at the Museum of Fine Arts
    in Boston...now that was a square crowd.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Ha! - even better was seeing him do it at the Museum of Fine Arts
    in Boston...now that was a square crowd.

I got a similar story...I saw him at a now-defunct blues club here in Chicago, Reservation Blues. Black-owned venue (bluesman Eddy Clearwater was the proprietor), white customers. It was funny; everybody was expecting Rush to be this typical stringbending Alligator Records-type shuffle blues guy, playing a Flying V like Albert King or somebody, and out comes Rush in his gaudy jumpsuits and with his raunchy shake dancers. He told his usual jokes about loving fat women that make his black audience howl, but the references just flew right over the white crowd's head. At one point, a lady turned to me and said, "I don't know; I think Bobby Rush is just a little too DISCO for me!"

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    "I think Bobby Rush is just a little too DISCO for me!"

That's hilarious, reminds me of the time an elderly jewish woman tried to pronounce "homosexual" and it came out like "homemocshall"

"IS that man a Homocshall?"

"A what?"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    its called "Folk Funk"

semi-decent funky blues album...no suprises...just thought I would mention it because of the title.

With a title like that, you'd expect him to come out sounding like Bill Withers or somebody. Not the case, although one of his songs, "Making A Decision," plagiarizes a Charles Bevel song with the same name (and on top of that, recycles the music to Bill Withers'"Ruby Lee").

He's been using that "folk-funk" tag for years now...apparently that's what he calls it when he reuses and recycles lyrics from different songs.