Shipping a big box overseas

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I have a buyer in Japan who wants to buy about 90 pieces off of me (a book box's worth).We've worked out an amendable price for said records but here's where I'm concerned.1) I'm assuming he wants this shipped parcel post since airmail would cost about $300. 2) How reliable would that be in ensuring that the package gets to him out in Japan?3) He wants to pay 1/2 up front and 1/2 upon receipt with the understanding that there's no "return policy" (this was his offer, not mine). I guess he just wants to hedge his investment in case something happens to the package. Personally, I don't know enough about him to know if he's dealing in good faith but if he's willing to pay half up front, in cash, then I'd take that as a pretty good faith sign. That said, part of me would simply prefer to get the whole sum upfront. This brings up back the point #2: I obviously want to make sure dude gets his records but am I taking a chance sending such a big (and heavy) package via parcel post?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've sent bigass record parcels from New York home to Copenhagen before, and they all arrived safely. One time I sent 2 made-to-fit cardboard boxes containing about 150 records each. It took about 1-2 months for them to arrive. As far as I remember I did pay a little extra for insurance.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Is it cash-on-delivery? If not, I say get all your money up front. I would not send surface unless the buyer knows that it is at his own risk. The longer a package is in transit the more chance there is of it getting damaged. If dude receives this box of records six weeks from now and half of them schitts is dinged up, cracked and splintered, he is NOT tryin' to send you the rest of what he owes you if he doesn't have to.

Also, be sure dude doesn't want them shipped airmail. I send quite a few large packages overseas by airmail. Dude might be a ... I deal with plenty of 'em over in Japan.