So what does everyone use for video editing?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I want to get my feet wet in video editing again. Strictly as a hobbie for right now but what programs are the hot shit right now for home video editing on a PC? Just looking to edit some small stuff and maybe throw it up on youtube. I used to use Adobe Premier way back in the day but is Final Cut the new hot shit?

Comments

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Final Cut is the shit, that's what I use but it might be only compatible.

People still use Premier for PCs, but I'm told by a friend that Avid is the standard in the commercial video-editing world..

If you're not trying to do anything teribly complicated, (even if you are) Premier is probably straight

• Final Cut is the shit, that's what I use but it might be only compatible.

Final cut is what I got on my home computer, its worked great for both professional and personal projects, real easy to deal with and render times are usually not too bad

People still use Premier for PCs, but I'm told by a friend that Avid is the standard in the commercial video-editing world..

Premiere is ok, but Avid is the absolute standard. Of al lthe networks I've worked with over the last year not a single one of them didn't use multiple Avid bays to get their shows on the air. I'm not too well versed in how to operate it but I've managed to teach myself just from the use of FCP.

If youre going to go the PC route and its just for fun preire would be ok, but I'd recommend getting yourself a sepereate computer and adding Avid Express.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I took a great editing class at BAVC. We used FCP and Avid Xpress. If your employer signs up for the employee training program, classes are FREE.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    I use Final Cut and it's hot!

• Another vote for Final Cut. Editing video is where a mac has a lot of advantages.

If you have to use a PC Premiere is getting better. Less bugs, etc. It's fine for putting together a 5 minute video... but that's about as far as I'd want to push it.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm learning Avid at work right now, and I'm amazed at how easy it is. The interface and usability are fantastic. I've never used anything else, and these are pro quality Avid bays, but if there is a home version, consider this a vote for it.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Avid Express also has the advantage of familiarizing you with the pro-level interface, in case you ever want/need to move up.

Also, your metadata will be preserved if you need to move your project to a pro-level finishing station.

-pj