(polititcal) stop the madness...nuclear option...

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I know from previous discussions that the subject of Bush Judge appointees is a big concern to a lot of people.Sign it and pass it on...just got this email today....Hi!I just signed MoveOn PAC's emergency petition to stop the "nuclear option" the far right wing's plan to seize absolute power to stack our courts -??? and I hope you will sign too.Starting Monday, the petition will be delivered straight to Congress every three hours until the final vote, and many of our comments will be read aloud on the Senate floor.Please sign right now at:http://www.moveonpac.org/nuclearWhy is this an emergency?This Tuesday, the Senate will vote on Republican Leader Bill Frist's "nuclear option" to break the rules of the Senate and give the Republican Party absolute control over appointing federal judges.For 200 years the minority's right to filibuster has kept our courts fair, by making sure that federal judges needed to get at least some support from both sides of the aisle before they were given life time appointments.If Frist eliminates the filibuster, his next step would be to force far right partisan judges onto the powerful U.S. Courts of Appeals. The real targets, however, are the four seats on the Supreme Court likely to become vacant in the next four years.With that much power on the Supreme Court, the far right could strike down decades of progress on labor rights, environmental protections, reproductive rights, and privacy.The "nuclear option" will live or die by a final vote, probably on Tuesday, and the vote is still way too close to call. There are at least 6 moderate Republicans still on the fence and only 3 more votes needed to win. If we can get enough of our voices into congress and into the streets in the next 72 hours, we can still save our courts.Please take a minute to join me and sign the emergency petition today.http://www.moveonpac.org/nuclearThanks!

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Okay, I signed it. That shit is pretty important. I really hope the petetion actually does something, although i suspect it wont do dick.

• I signed it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I signed it.

• I signed it.

• hats off? you really think so? just the fact that members of the senate are signing a "memorandum of understanding" about how they plan to vote is fucked in my opinion. not very democratic. it shows just how far the corporate tendrils have delved into the public/political sphere when the lawyers in the senate start using the legalese of corporate lawyers.

the republicans get a vote (which will end in a confirmation along strict party lines) on 3 controversial nominees that they wuld not have gotten otherwise and they don't end up making a rule change that would have left them looking like the bunch of pricks they are. if the democrats had any sack left at all, they would have forced the republicans to "go nuclear" and let the chips fall where they may. final score elephants 1 - donkeys 0.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I signed it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

hats off? you really think so? just the fact that members of the senate are signing a "memorandum of understanding" about how they plan to vote is fucked in my opinion. not very democratic. it shows just how far the corporate tendrils have delved into the public/political sphere when the lawyers in the senate start using the legalese of corporate lawyers.

the republicans get a vote (which will end in a confirmation along strict party lines) on 3 controversial nominees that they wuld not have gotten otherwise and they don't end up making a rule change that would have left them looking like the bunch of pricks they are. if the democrats had any sack left at all, they would have forced the republicans to "go nuclear" and let the chips fall where they may. final score elephants 1 - donkeys 0.

if the democrats had any sack left at all

what the fuck were they thinking!!!????!??!? they get outplayed every fucking time. why are the democrats so damn inept??? im not about to start voting republican, fuck the bullshit, i will never side up with rick santorum...but the democrats are a bunch of doormats, its like the motherfucking washington generals and shit. but this is serious. and things are getting ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly. these people and the judges they appoint are gonna get elbow deep in all our asses on some terry schiavo type invade your privacy bizness.
    cant howard dean boss these dudes around and rally up some tactics and cojones?