From PC-based production to hardware

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Gday guys,Interested in people's thoughts. As someone who's grown up using computers to write music (starting with Protracker on the Amiga in the early 90s to FruityLoops at the moment), how hard would it be to move to hardware options such as an MPC? Interested in other people's experiences in going from mouse-clicking to knob twiddling - was it hard to pick up? I'm comfortable with my current set up but will be moving soon, so thinking might be a good time to get a new music machine while leave records and current set up at parents' place. Alternatively, the other option might just be to buy a new laptop set up and USB sound card....Thanks in advance!cheersMax

Comments

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    get some kind of keyboard or akai pads and midi interface you can use with your puter, maybe? That way you got the two working together? I dunno.

I've never used computers to make music so i'm not too cluey, but some of those e-mu interfaces look sick. With computers I find I have too many options and shit to fuck around with. I like to keep it simple.

• also - anyone had any experience sampling off a portable turntable? i'm certain the sound might not be comparable to a proper set up with a 1200 and dedicated what not, but will it do the job??

• get some kind of keyboard or akai pads and midi interface you can use with your puter, maybe? That way you got the two working together? I dunno.

I've never used computers to make music so i'm not too cluey, but some of those e-mu interfaces look sick. With computers I find I have too many options and shit to fuck around with. I like to keep it simple.

thanks for your thoguths wooshie. I'm actually looking for a set up that's pretty mobile that I can muck about with - the tactile approach is an added bonus. Rocking an MPC on the bus or on a plane would be pretty cool, but admittedly, I can also do the same thing with a laptop as well..

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Well a Laptop with a little half midi keyboard would be fresh. for the easy travelling. IE: xboard 25 USB midi controller.

you could always get a small sampler like a boss sp 303 and wack a battery pack on it so you can sample through it and then go into your computer with it. Eh!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    also - anyone had any experience sampling off a portable turntable? i'm certain the sound might not be comparable to a proper set up with a 1200 and dedicated what not, but will it do the job??

I bought the numark/ion USB turntable. the USB portion is great. Plug it into an open USB port and record directly. Although it does have rca outs and a built in pre you will need a mixer to boost the signal. You get nothing but the high's when sampling. I was trying to sample directly into MPC. I guess the same would go for any of the portable models. You could get one of those pocket sized preamps If you truly wanted it to be portable.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    also - anyone had any experience sampling off a portable turntable? i'm certain the sound might not be comparable to a proper set up with a 1200 and dedicated what not, but will it do the job??

I bought the numark/ion USB turntable. the USB portion is great. Plug it into an open USB port and record directly. Although it does have rca outs and a built in pre you will need a mixer to boost the signal. You get nothing but the high's when sampling. I was trying to sample directly into MPC. I guess the same would go for any of the portable models. You could get one of those pocket sized preamps If you truly wanted it to be portable.

cant you just get a portable turntable with a headphone jack and sample from that?