Funk/Soul 45 DJs....what cartridges do you use?

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I use Shure SC35's.I'm really getting sick of um (many reasons) and I want to know what I should upgrade to.

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Shure M44-7

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm still really happy with my whitelabels.
    I've noticed no new cueburns on styrene 45s
    since I changed 2 years ago.

If you spin only 45s you should use lesser antiskating
    than with LPs. I use 2 gr. tracking force and about 1.5
    on the antiskating scale.

If you try a blank 12" you will notice that the more
    antiskating you use, the more the needle will move towards
    the outside of the record.

Sounds nerdy but these are the things that improve the lifespan
    of your records...

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    sounds like some Whitelabels might work. I was looking at the 35x for a short while (because of minimal wear) but these seem far superior.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Shure M44-7

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    sounds like some Whitelabels might work. I was looking at the 35x for a short while (because of minimal wear) but these seem far superior.

K-
    you know i can't speak about tracking on 45's, but i can definitely say that the white labels will be nice to your records, and better fidelity than the 447s.

• the only bad thing about the white label is that the level of them is kinda quite, on some LP cuts i have to turn the trim all the way up

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    the only bad thing about the white label is that the level of them is kinda quite, on some LP cuts i have to turn the trim all the way up

true

• the only bad thing about the white label is that the level of them is kinda quite, on some LP cuts i have to turn the trim all the way up

I never really noticed that myself.

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    Shure M44-7

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Shure M44-7

been using these for years. i just ordered a whitelabel last week for sampling duties, i will update this post when i get some use out of it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the only bad thing about the white label is that the level of them is kinda quite, on some LP cuts i have to turn the trim all the way up

i fuck with white labels. they are as loud and durable as 44s, minus the vinyl wear, but you can't really scratch a whole lot with them.

also, that's prolly more to do with LP tracks than anything with your cartridges. in fact, i don't even fuck with lp tracks unless it's a warm up set and then it will have to be 100% LP tracks. there ain't no going back and fourth--esp when shit starts to pop off. not only are LP tracks less loud, but they are also less dynamic.

some say you can fix all that with a dildo system. i like records.

i fuck with white labels. they are as loud and durable as 44s, minus the vinyl wear, but you can't really scratch a whole lot with them.

also, that's prolly more to do with LP tracks than anything with your cartridges. in fact, i don't even fuck with lp tracks unless it's a warm up set and then it will have to be 100% LP tracks. there ain't no going back and fourth--esp when shit starts to pop off. not only are LP tracks less loud, but they are also less dynamic.

some say you can fix all that with a dildo system. i like records.

since i went dildo i don't really have to play many LP tracks, the 12 inches i never found end up getting downloaded or bought on some corny 12" CD compalation. i still do drop some stevie, aretha, curtis & supremes tracks from LPs

right now i'm torn as to what cart to go with, i have one m44-7, one White Label and they both need replacment styli. Do i get a 2nd White Label and use the cart for digitising my records or do i go back to m44-7 for better skip resistance and louder dildo control signal (bigger circle) & buy some other fancy cart just for digitizing my vinyl...i keep going back and forth between these options

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

Ok, I went out and bought a pair a few minutes ago and I've got to agree with M here. The levels seem close to the 35s and they flex much cleaner highs lows and mids than the 35's and 44's.

• Anybody fuck with those Orotofon Nightclubs? I just picked one up for the studio I work at but haven't had a chance to test it out. For $189 I should be able hear Eddie Bo farting over the breaks.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    For $189 I should be able hear Eddie Bo farting over the breaks.