Lupe Fiasco: I Gotcha

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I haven't been checking for Lupe's stuff one way or another but this new "I Gotcha" song, produced by the Neptunes, is flat out reeeeediculous in terms of the track that P and Chad hook up. http://o-dub.com/sounds/soulsides/igotcha.mp3

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I haven't been checking for Lupe's stuff one way or another

Oliver, do not even try to lie.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I haven't been checking for Lupe's stuff one way or another but this new "I Gotcha" song, produced by the Neptunes, is flat out reeeeediculous in terms of the track that P and Chad hook up.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.270

O:

I didn't know you had so many handles in the "game".

Hot | Posted By: LyHev | Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:25 pm User Rating: | Link
    Big up to Lupe, doing his thing! He makes the beat hot. I got this instrumental and I passed it over till I heard him on the track. [/b]

Wow | Posted By: Final sec | Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:55 pm User Rating: | Link
    fire

yo | Posted By: Last One | Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:01 pm User Rating: | Link
    This Was Da bomb Lupe i Fell you on dis one [/b]

lupe | Posted By: jwhaaaaaaaaaaaattttt07 | Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 pm User Rating: | Link
    I'm gonna buy his album for sure ! FIRE ! [/b]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Dude, I'm beyond disconnected of late. I assumed "Kick Push" was a drug song.

Seriously though, is there actual hype behind Lupe? I don't get why he's graced both the cover of Fader and Billboard (not exactly similar mags). I never thought his verse on Kanye's CD was anything special and I've gotten the sense that Lupe's fans are mostly Okayplayer types.

In other news: new Roots album = surprisingly not wack.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Can someone up this track or a link to it (I'm not gettting audio from that site).

That would be

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Seriously though, is there actual hype behind Lupe? I don't get why he's graced both the cover of Fader and Billboard (not exactly similar mags). I never thought his verse on Kanye's CD was anything special and I've gotten the sense that Lupe's fans are mostly Okayplayer types.

there's hype for sure. hype like he's the next chicago dude coming out backed in some way by kanye. i'd really like to see a non-kanye affiliated, chicago act blow up sometime in the near future. how long must all natural wait??

Seriously though, is there actual hype behind Lupe?

Lots of hype amongst people that collect plastic dolls designed by graffiti has-beens and line up at 4:00 in the morning to buy "pigeon" dunks. No real hype amongst normal people, though.

Lots of hype amongst people that collect plastic dolls designed by graffiti has-beens and line up at 4:00 in the morning to buy "pigeon" dunks.

Speaking of which, my brother in law plays ball on the same court that Jeff Staple does and says Staple will sometimes play pick-up games sporting a fresh pair of Pigeons, presumably just b/c he can.

Also, Trew - I don't actually think Kanye is producing for Lupe. Though, uh, Mike Shinoda is.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    people that collect plastic dolls

What's the deal with this? I just don't get it.

people that collect plastic dolls

What's the deal with this? I just don't get it.

Ask Young Phonics.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I hear a fair amount of people who collect neither Dunks nor Robots talking about Lupe. As for those who may be guilty of comitting one or both of the aformentioned crimes, let it just be said that the Black skateboard-punk-newwave-BAPE Pharell shit is getting kind of large right now.

I don't sit in an office all day, for what it's worth

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Also, Trew - I don't actually think Kanye is producing for Lupe. Though, uh, Mike Shinoda is.

no but Kanye is pushing dude out there.. like with rhymefest. even though he's with ronson, the 'kanye konnection' got fest in the heads of industry folks. i mean the guy's been a fixture on the chicago scene for ages.. and he's only now getting signed?

but with lupe, dude has NOT been a fixture.. but the hype is killin it right now.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    the Black skateboard-punk-newwave-BAPE Pharell shit is getting kind of large right now.

POST KUFI-DOM.

I hear a fair amount of people who collect neither Dunks nor Robots talking about Lupe. As for those who may be guilty of comitting one or both of the aformentioned crimes, let it just be said that the Black skateboard-punk-newwave-BAPE Pharell shit is getting kind of large right now.

Yeah, you sit in your LES boutique all day.

Naw, I'm just playing. There does seem to be a fair amount of anticipation for this album in circles somewhat broader than the readership of Complex--I was surprised at how well "Kick, Push" was faring in the evening call-in shows when I was down in Atlanta the other week. Not that I'm gonna stop clowning.

Not that I'm gonna stop clowning.

Never that, son.

• I hear a fair amount of people who collect neither Dunks nor Robots talking about Lupe. As for those who may be guilty of comitting one or both of the aformentioned crimes, let it just be said that the Black skateboard-punk-newwave-BAPE Pharell shit is getting kind of large right now.

Naw, I'm just playing. There does seem to be a fair amount of anticipation for this album in circles somewhat broader than the readership of Complex--I was surprised at how well "Kick, Push" was faring in the evening call-in shows when I was down in Atlanta the other week. Not that I'm gonna stop clowning.

I knew it was going to be bigger than what I expented when one of the homies who doesn't really care too much about music was asking me about him. I've also seen parts of the video more than a handful of times on MTV.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    This track reminds me a bit of the Mamacita track by Pharell which I like more, but this ain't bad.

Don't make me put you on blast for the nature of your last visit.

"Just stopping by, I was in the neigborhood... there were a couple of records I needed at *cough* Turntable Lab... erhm... you know, stuff they don't stock at my spot uptown..."

1) Aren't you technically in the East Village vs. the LES? Or did Good move?

2) For folks looking for the track, I reupped it at the very top.

"Just stopping by, I was in the neigborhood... there were a couple of records I needed at *cough* Turntable Lab... erhm... you know, stuff they don't stock at my spot uptown..."

As long as you don't mention the Robot-shaped bulge in my jeans...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    but this ain't bad.

any idea where that piano line is from?? seems to be one of those DL pharrell interpolations..

DL pharrell interpolations

This is a euphemism for spending an inordinate amount of time loitering around public restrooms while Louis Vuittoned down to your socks?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    But how does this affect your world view?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    DL pharrell interpolations

This is a euphemism for spending an inordinate amount of time loitering around public restrooms while Louis Vuittoned down to your socks?

I am in the same place. The East Village as a term came into existence in the last ten years to describe the "colonized" Lower East Side. "The Village" used to mean west of Broadway, Washington Square Park, Greenwich St, Bleecker, etc. LES used to include most of the territory east of Broadway and south of 14th Street. Case in point, the public housing unit next to my new digs (on 10th & Ave B) is called the "Lower East Side Houses"... my grandmother, who lived for many years on the block A-1 is on (6th st btwn 1st Ave & Ave A) refers to this neighborhood as the Lower East Side. At that time it was all Eastern European immigrants and later Latino immigrants. In the 80s "The Village" migrated further and further east reaching 2nd Avenue, 1st Avenue and then eventually the "alphabet city". Nowadays this is all the "East Village" with the LES starting around Houston St (N-S) and Bowery (E-W) and stretching south to Chinatown and east to the river. NYU is in full motherfuckin effizect.

I am in the same place. The East Village as a term came into existence in the last ten years to describe the "colonized" Lower East Side. "The Village" used to mean west of Broadway, Washington Square Park, Greenwich St, Bleecker, etc. LES used to include most of the territory east of Broadway and south of 14th Street. Case in point, the public housing unit next to my new digs (on 10th & Ave B) is called the "Lower East Side Houses"... my grandmother, who lived for many years on the block A-1 is on (6th st btwn 1st Ave & Ave A) refers to this neighborhood as the Lower East Side. At that time it was all Eastern European immigrants and later Latino immigrants. In the 80s "The Village" migrated further and further east reaching 2nd Avenue, 1st Avenue and then eventually the "alphabet city". Nowadays this is all the "East Village" with the LES starting around Houston St (N-S) and Bowery (E-W) and stretching south to Chinatown and east to the river. NYU is in full motherfuckin effizect.

Seriously, I love learning history like this.

BTW: you still want to do a summer songs post for moi? Holla.

yeah dude. I'll get you that soon. Moving had me preoccupied like a mug.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Shit is seriously dope. I've been running it for about a week straight and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

yeah dude. I'll get you that soon. Moving had me preoccupied like a mug.

feeling you like

Shit is seriously dope. I've been running it for about a week straight and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Yeah - I don't know if you had the same feeling Cos but doesn't this album sound like it should have been the proper follow-up to "Phrenology" (musically speaking) vs. "Tipping Point"?

And to also add: it doesn't sound like what you'd think a "Def Jam" album would sound like.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah - I don't know if you had the same feeling Cos but doesn't this album sound like it should have been the proper follow-up to "Phrenology" (musically speaking) vs. "Tipping Point"?

And to also add: it doesn't sound like what you'd think a "Def Jam" album would sound like.

I wasn't a fan of Phrenology at all, although it's for more personal reasons why and I can acnowledge why people consider it a really good LP. Tipping Point might as well have been called Tepid Point. However I did kind of "see" what they were trying to do with that one. But this one is like something else. It's like the combined all the strengths of both those 2 albums and put that energy towards this one. Also, although musically it's nothing like TFA or IH, it still bears a very similar feeling to both of them. It's really on some Philly shit. And no, it doesn't sound like an album "The Building" would have put out.