Feedback wanted on t-shirt designs

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I am in the process of starting a small company here in Australia wholesaling tshirts to shops and also selling online. I would be keen to get some feedback from the people here as to what sizes ,styles, colors etc you all dig. I have about 40 designs i have done and i am sure many of you will recognise the source material. To start with i intend to sell 5 different designs and need to do a lot more marketing to see what sort of demand there is for my stuff. Constructive criticism and or praise is wanted but be careful i am very fragile....check some out here T-shirts If there are any Aussies on this board that know of some good places to stock in the capital cities it would be good to know some more info and comntacts. When they are made i will send you a shirt if you can help me out

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im probably alone in this, but i really only dig the ones that dont have words on them. i guess im on some minimalistic tip or something

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Point taken . I kinda agree with you on that

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I want that Flash in the kitchen jawn.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    i really only dig the ones that dont have words on them.

Yeah, the ones with words tend to be a bit too busy, plus I'm not really feeling the "afrofunk" and "latin funk" font. I'd rock some of these, even though I tend to like my t-shirts a bit more subtle (i.e. with smaller images).

If and when they get made i will offer them wholesale to any soul strutters plus i would be into tshirts for rekkids trading.

Here's a few more

I'd rock some of these, even though I tend to like my t-shirts a bit more subtle (i.e. with smaller images).
    I appreciate the feedback and I was thinking I can make the graphic a little smaller. Easily done it is easy and important to fix these before i launch into a print run.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    rasputins stash one would be nice if it didnt have the 1200 in it

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Is the pictures on the shirt gonna be that big? You may want to make it smaller... Cause when it gets hot them giant logos get annoying and sweaty... But that's just my opinion, you may want to pixlate them to?....

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Is the pictures on the shirt gonna be that big? You may want to make it smaller... Cause when it gets hot them giant logos get annoying and sweaty... But that's just my opinion, you may want to pixlate them to?....

Yeah the graphics should be at least 1/3 if not 1/4 of the size they are now... also the writing is a little too bold for my liking like "LATIN FUNK" is too BOLD a statement to wear (especially when diggin')... fools be recognizing the graphic and hypin' up the price!

Good stuff, I'll be moving back to Australia in December, maybe we can do some Aussie flavored collabo shirts!

peace.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How about the word "funk" on the peoples, but less of them? Like instead of a bunch across the whole T-shirt, 3 times down the face or once across the face or something.

Candido creeps me out, not sure about that one on a T shirt.

The color scheme on the Bobbi Humphrey is kinda off for me.

What does it say on Kurtis Blow? I can't read it.
    Peace
    T.N.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    all i can say is simpler and smaller i guess. i dont like the word "FUNK" all over those shirts. here's a chess one that i screen printed last year. it turned out really well...

What does it say on Kurtis Blow? I can't read it.
    Peace
    T.N.
    Lyrics to the breaks. I made the file small to upload so it is easy to view
    Here is a close up of a section of it.

And Sheep
    I would be keen to collaborate. I am in Mullumbimby (nr Byron bay) not far from Brisbane (2hrs). Watch it when you come back from japan that you get a good freight rate and dont get charged ridiculous port fees in Australia for your lps. I lived and worked in japan for 3 years and bought 1000lps back and got a bit stung for freight

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    And Sheep
    I would be keen to collaborate. I am in Mullumbimby (nr Byron bay) not far from Brisbane (2hrs). Watch it when you come back from japan that you get a good freight rate and dont get charged ridiculous port fees in Australia for your lps. I lived and worked in japan for 3 years and bought 1000lps back and got a bit stung for freight

cool, i'll hit you off in december... i'm doing a gig in brissy when i come back, you should come check it if you can, i'll attach the flier to this post... come say what's up..

but yeah, i just couriered all my wax back home, 1500 records, i sent it using my old work (checkoutwax.com's) regular courier, it's gunna cost an arm and a leg, but them's the breaks 'eh! how much did u end up paying after tax for 1000 pieces?

peace.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Hey Wub.

Not really feeling those designs too much, as they don't really have enough graphic elements to keep the weight up in the design department. I would suggest working on some strong typeface layout before adding graphics, but shit man, what do I know?

silvertone

• Speaking of designing t-shirts..

Does anyone have any t-shirt templates for photoshop or illustrator or whatever?

I'm designing some shirts myself, and I want to make sure that the proportions between image and shirt are right.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I want that Flash in the kitchen jawn.

but yeah, i just couriered all my wax back home, 1500 records, i sent it using my old work (checkoutwax.com's) regular courier, it's gunna cost an arm and a leg, but them's the breaks 'eh! how much did u end up paying after tax for 1000 pieces?

I also had a lot of other stuff (house stuff) about 3m3 it cost about A$2000 and then we were hit with another $500 port charge when it came back to Australia (port charge)

• rasputins stash one would be nice if it didnt have the 1200 in it

Exactly. The Rasputins image is crazy tough. The 1200 kinda cheapens it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Not really feeling those designs too much, as they don't really have enough graphic elements to keep the weight up in the design department. I would suggest working on some strong typeface layout before adding graphics, but shit man, what do I know?

unfortunately i have to agree. it seems as though you used the same effect on all the images. not enough variation..

that betty davis could do w/o her name underneath

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Speaking from personal experiences.....

Over the past 16 months, my associate and I have been selling roughly 25 designs all geared toward the modern "digger". Large and XL always sell better than medium.
    For realistic sales figures, take however many sales you are expecting and reduce it by 1/2.
    Ebay will flood fast. At first you will pull $15 per shirt, 2 weeks later $10, and then you will end up settling at $5 which is barely worth the effort.
    Expect to receive at least 1 or 2 cease and desist orders following your ebay listings regardless of whether or not they are "altered" from the original. If you try to go legit and get permission you can expect to pay at least $10,000 plus royalties (and that's just for sugarhill gang/big bank hank). Also some of those designs will be a lot of work if you are pulling each shirt by hand yourself. I would suggest only doing a few prototypes to build pre-orders etc. That way you won;t end up with a whole closet full of Skullsnaps and David Axelrod shirts like me. Good luck!

Below is a partial list off the top of my head of what we have in case you want to avoid doing similar designs etc..:

David Axelrod
    SkullSnaps
    CTI (logo)
    Cadet (logo w/text)
    Groove Merchant (logo)
    Reprise (logo)
    Al Green
    Prestige (logo w/text)
    Prestige (saxaphone logo w/text)
    The Pharcyde
    Eric B & Rakim
    BDP Criminal Minded
    James Brown
    Verve
    Funk INC
    Black Jazz
    Music DeWolfe

Peace,
    Al

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    since folks are talking about t-shirt design maybe this would be a good thread to ask again if anyone knows any websites I could order fitted T-shirts from. I like the "vintage" cut much better than the normal fruit of the loom hanes t-shirt cut but they are a bitch to find (even here in LA) Any help is appreciated thanks in advance

I had alot of other house stuff with the rekkids so it was kinda hard to work out just the records but around A$1000 i think for the lps i j got stung a $500 port fee when they arrived in Oz so not so bad and after 3 years of earning good money.

On the t-shirt front i have appreciated all the feedback and will rework some of them and take into account the opinions offered. Cease and desist orders sound a little scary and the last time i was making t-shirts i was 18 (1988) and was bootlegging troop,fila, Nike and british knights hooded tops

here are a few without text

• Speaking from personal experiences.....

Over the past 16 months, my associate and I have been selling roughly 25 designs all geared toward the modern "digger". Large and XL always sell better than medium.
    For realistic sales figures, take however many sales you are expecting and reduce it by 1/2.
    Ebay will flood fast. At first you will pull $15 per shirt, 2 weeks later $10, and then you will end up settling at $5 which is barely worth the effort.
    Expect to receive at least 1 or 2 cease and desist orders following your ebay listings regardless of whether or not they are "altered" from the original. If you try to go legit and get permission you can expect to pay at least $10,000 plus royalties (and that's just for sugarhill gang/big bank hank). Also some of those designs will be a lot of work if you are pulling each shirt by hand yourself. I would suggest only doing a few prototypes to build pre-orders etc. That way you won;t end up with a whole closet full of Skullsnaps and David Axelrod shirts like me. Good luck!

Below is a partial list off the top of my head of what we have in case you want to avoid doing similar designs etc..:

David Axelrod
    SkullSnaps
    CTI (logo)
    Cadet (logo w/text)
    Groove Merchant (logo)
    Reprise (logo)
    Al Green
    Prestige (logo w/text)
    The Pharcyde
    Eric B & Rakim
    BDP Criminal Minded
    James Brown
    Verve
    Funk INC
    Black Jazz
    Music DeWolfe

Peace,
    Al

I guess I bought a shirt from you

• Options
    Speaking from personal experiences.....

David Axelrod
    SkullSnaps
    CTI (logo)
    Cadet (logo w/text)
    Groove Merchant (logo)
    Reprise (logo)
    Al Green
    Prestige (logo w/text)
    The Pharcyde
    Eric B & Rakim
    BDP Criminal Minded
    James Brown
    Verve
    Funk INC
    Black Jazz
    Music DeWolfe

Peace,
    Al

Sorry if I find it hard not to chuckle, bu this seems like cease and desist from a bootlegger???

K.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

MUCH better

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    since folks are talking about t-shirt design maybe this would be a good thread to ask again if anyone knows any websites I could order fitted T-shirts from. I like the "vintage" cut much better than the normal fruit of the loom hanes t-shirt cut but they are a bitch to find (even here in LA) Any help is appreciated thanks in advance

try American Apparel, EMO DUDE

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    im probably alone in this, but i really only dig the ones that dont have words on them. i guess im on some minimalistic tip or something

I like that fact that if you dont already know about the image, your just out of the loop...