Syd Barrett RIP

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• Damn, that's sad.

This is the shit.

• A genius. RIP Syd.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    One of my favorite artists of all time. This is in my Top 10. RIP.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

rest in peace my special guy

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• OutsiderOutsider 59 Posts
    No way.

RIP.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    No way.

RIP.

Not a joke, but I thought he'd been dead for a couple of years...
    I like the album with all the bugs on it.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    this has been a year of heavy syd barret listening for me. its so sad to hear that. I hope his genius becomes further recognized in his passing....

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    this has been a year of heavy syd barret listening for me. its so sad to hear that. I hope his genius becomes further recognized in his passing....

I think Syd's genius is too idiosyncratic to be more widely embraced. So I don't think Syd's passing will contribute much to the growth of his audience. Syd was already virtually canonized back in the late 80s/early 90s with a good half-dozen comps of tracks from only two [solo] album's worth of material. And he got the definitive box set treatment with 'Crazy Diamond.'
    But there will always be people discovering Syd's music for the first time. He'll continue to be remembered and massively influential.

Yummy yam yoom yom!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    sad.

but he has been in ill health for a long time, diabetic comas and stuff, as well as his mental state. if i believed in an afterlife, i'd say he's finally at rest.

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    probably one of the most influential musicians in my entire life.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

RIP

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    probably one of the most influential musicians in my entire life.

rip.
    me too. "Octopus" was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. I dont think I would have wanted to freak out with a delay pedal if it wasnt for my listening to "Piper at the gates of Dawn" a bazillion times.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    damn, i just recently discovered the true genius of this man.

rip

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Yep, I was watching a little tribute doco the other night. Roger Waters was talking about how Syd had disappeared, He'd come to the studio when they were recording a song (i think shine on you crazy diamond?) after not seeing him for 7 years or something and it was a surreal experience. Syd rocks up and no one can recognise him, fat and bald and laughing histerically. He left that evening and was never seen by any of them since.

What an enigma.