today's music sampled?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
sup,i always wondered, like 50 years from now, what kind of music would be sampled. well more of what i mean is, can u picture stuff coming out today being sampled say 50 years from now? i recall a few years ago a live-ish hip hop band saying in an interview "we want to make the music that will be sampled in the future", and while thats an intriguing quote, the source of the quote is the "black eyed peas" and we know what avenue they went...nonetheless it still interests me in terms of contemporary artists that seem worthy of being sampled in the future.what makes it a twist is that for a few current acts; they are merely sampling others, so in effect you'd just be sampling someone else's sample in some cases. but hey, can still produce interesting results like the visioneer's take on "the world is yours". my post is non-conclusive but my question is blatant. what acts do you see today are interesting enough to be sampled in a few decades or so? i envision a decade or so where neptunes stuff or squirrel choruses seem as cheezy as 80s hairspray bands and then make a huge comeback. .........not to hijack my own post, though phuck it, i will....can u just list some bands that sound like they have NO INFLUENCE WHATSOEVER...like groups that just sound off the radar. not necessarily good or nothing, but just way off...my nominee for a group like that is jesus lizard...usually its gay to make a drunk post on a saturday, but im canadian, and its the lonk weekendpeace

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    50 years? How can anyone know?

Thats a hugely long time in terms of popular music, technology, and whatever else. I really kinda doubt kids will still be chopping up shit in some old drum machine in 50 years. Id figure by that time music synthesis should reach some rediculously realistic point where anyone can basicly fall on a keyboard and make a mozart symphony. Im light of this kids start listening to nothing but inaudibly high pitched frequencies that make dogs cry combined with the sharp sounds of metal cooking wear being thrown down stairs.

everybody thinks its just a reaction to everthing being so played the fuck out, but then it goes on to last like 30 years and pretty much replaces any previous genre of music that people used to listen to.

Then after the meltdown, people again rediscover old records. Sadly they are most usually burned in large piles for heat as there is no electricity.

50 years is a long time. I wouldnt worry bout it.

• girgir 329 Posts

In light of this kids start listening to nothing but inaudibly high pitched frequencies that make dogs cry combined with the sharp sounds of metal cooking wear being thrown down stairs.

http://www.warprecords.com

• In light of this kids start listening to nothing but inaudibly high pitched frequencies that make dogs cry combined with the sharp sounds of metal cooking wear being thrown down stairs.

[/url]

id like to see that sell hamburgers and cell phones.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Will hip-hop as we know it even matter in 50 years? I'm not sure if I'll make it to be 85 years old, but I see it becoming very much like doo-wop, where it will be like Soul Strut, fans and collectors duking it out for doo wop/hip-hop supremacy. I'm on a doo-wop mailing list where I keep quiet because my knowledge of the music is a handful of sand compared to everyone else.

Anyway, back to the topic. I talked about this in the last half of the 90's, where I felt that a lot of "new" music coming out were done specifically so that others would sample it. Or maybe because open breaks became a hot topic, that it had to be a coincidence that every other pop song ALSO had a drum break. Lenny Kravitz did it because he used to be about the warmth of his art. I don't think the Black Crowes were thinking "open break" when they did their cover of "Hard To Handle". But for a few years (1997-2001), having an open section seemed to be the new template for pop music, one which was used a lot.

Maroon 5, is it me or do all of their songs sound like other songs? Like the most recent hit where the chorus sounds like Loggins & Messina's "My Music".

50 years is a scary thought. I can now say that I am twice as old as some of my favorite albums.

If rap music, as a powerful force, dies out in 50 years, I hope that the youth in the mid-21st century will be able to feel the kind of anticipation in their music as I did when I got into a lot of my favorite music. Unfortunately, the thrill of walking into a physical record store and wondering what kind of music may be inside those sealed cardboard covers will only exist to a select few who will hopefully have a small sense of what that excitement was like. Someone will walk into a museum, a lady in a nice outfit will come into one of the exhibits, spray a secret bottle in the room, and a voiceover will go "that's the scent of a freshly opened cassette on Tommy Boy". The crowd will go "aaaaaaaah" and buy the souvenir T-shirt on their way out.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

In light of this kids start listening to nothing but inaudibly high pitched frequencies that make dogs cry combined with the sharp sounds of metal cooking wear being thrown down stairs.

[/url]

id like to see that sell hamburgers and cell phones.

Those inaudible high pitched frequencies worked for Gerardo and Lumidee.