The Chinese Connection - record label folks

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I wanted to reach out to ya'll because I have a good friend who's going to be visiting the U.S. soon from Shanghai. His name is Gary Wang (aka DJ V-Nutz) and amongst other things, he was China's very first DMC champion from a few years back.Gary's opened a non-profit DJ studio in Shanghai called "The Lab"...it's not just the first of its kind in the city but it's probably the first of its kind in Greater China (outside of Hong Kong). It's a rather remarkable endeavour if you think about it: one of the biggest cities in the world, in the world's most populous nation no less, but hip-hop and DJ culture is really incredibly nascent there.Gary basically wants to help teach young people there about how to DJ and about music, especially hip-hop. The way "distribution" works in China is that...there isn't a formal system as we see in the US and Europe. There's no real coordinated system for how music gets pushed over there...it's mostly bootlegging and cut-outs. So here's thd eal: Gary is trying to build partnerships with American record labels who might be willing to help by donating records and/or equipment. Again - what he's doing right now is not-for-profit and I've known him for over four years and can vouch for his integrity in the matter. What he'd like to do, ideally, is come out to SF and LA in August and talk with folks about the possibility of a partnership of sorts. What he can offer in return is any help that labels trying to break into the Chinese market, either for retail sales or for booking (Gary also works as a promoter and has brought over folks like Triple Threat and Ugly Duckling to do shows in China). It's a very bynzantine system, in serious need of some rudimentary organization and I think this is what's slowly being built now and Gary wants to be a player in helping that happen.If anyone out there is interested in pursuing the possibility of a partnership with The Lab, drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with Gary. He's going to be in NYC, SF and possibly LA in August (his first trip to America no less) and is trying to meet with folks whenever/wherever possible.Just to be very clear: I have no ulterior interest here. I just think Gary's a great guy, I think what he's trying to do in China is amazing and I'd love to see The Lab take off.

Comments

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

PM me his info and I'll send him a big ol' care package of everything from my DJ break/battle records catalog (what I still have left that is).

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Oops. My bad. Would've helped if I read your whole post.
    I'll PM you.