Daddy-O (Stetsasonic) 12" question/inquiry

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
In the summer of 1991, Tommy Boy released their annual promotional cassette, usually to coincide with the New Music Seminar in NYC. When I went to NMS 11, I got a cassette which had Information Society and a mess of other stuff. I didn't go in 1991 but the tape for that year was called Act Like You Know[/b], which had a sexy photo of model Roshumba on the cover.Anyway, one of my favorite songs on that tape was a song Daddy-O did where he got into "the downfall of our society". I don't have the tape with me or remember the song, but it was Part 1. It made reference to The Kids In The Hall and "video games/too much shit for a young child's brain". It was pretty heady, especially when you heard the two girls in the middle singing "Ring Around The Rosie".Did Tommy Boy ever come out with a 12" for that, and was there a Part 2? I know a full length album didn't come out, and it didn't resurface on the album he would do on Mercury.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That song was not on his later solo album on Mercury. Dude has gone the Kwame route and produced famous people. I have never seen that tune out in the field, but if there was a tape, theoretically, there might be a 12" of it.
    BTW, you sure it wasn't a different Daddy-O?
    Peace
    T.N.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That song was not on his later solo album on Mercury. Dude has gone the Kwame route and produced famous people. I have never seen that tune out in the field, but if there was a tape, theoretically, there might be a 12" of it.
    BTW, you sure it wasn't a different Daddy-O?
    Peace
    T.N.

I had that album and was bummed back then that the song wasn't on there. I waited two to three years for a Part II and when he came out with the album, it wasn't on there. I'll go into storage and see if I can hunt down the tape.

I was a big Stet fan so it was definitely the same Daddy-O. Even if a 12" existed in promo form, that would be cool but it looks like it may have been tape only.

On that cassette, the song before was Prince Rakeem's "Ooh I Love You Rakeem". After the Daddy-O song,it goes into Digital Underground's "Freaks Of The Industry" with the "Love Hangover" loop.