hip hop influenced art...

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central

this may be the freshest thing a human ever produced...it phucking blew me away the first time i saw it and still gives me shivers, just tremendous style and sharp, i'm asuming the artist's name is wakasyu kamakura, because that's the file name. i can't remember where i found this but it was saved on my harddrive. if anyone has details on the artist please let me know, it would be great to order a high res quality print. this pic is pretty large, so its nice to print out 8 x 10, if you're inclined.

^
this is a piece by justin bua, the artist that does all those jazz paintings. this is most def my fav stuff of his and my fav painting ever at this point, i walked by it one day in downtown and my feet did an instant schreech like tires so the rest of my body flowed like gumby...it looks like it was done in pencil crayon (the pic i took is sheitty), its really detailed and gives u the grafitti style look and is pure class...the best thing about this piece is i have a dimmer in my room where i have it, and depending on the intensity of the light, the painting totally changes flavor...from sunset to dawn. got the print for 30 bucks on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28009&item=7323212387&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

any other pieces y'all can post that have the flavoUr?

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    good god,,,i mean just look at the boom box. that segment is enough! can u say wall paper?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    those are both pretty dope

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Here is a few by my favorite Hip Hop influenced artist. He pulls strongly from the Mayan Calendar also. His name is Roman Villagrana from Washington state. I own a few of his originals(though they are in storage Two-thousand miles away)

This guy has done album covers for a few of my fam (E.G the last pic) He is a super chill guy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

this may be the freshest thing a human ever produced...it phucking blew me away the first time i saw it and still gives me shivers, just tremendous style and sharp, i'm asuming the artist's name is wakasyu kamakura, because that's the file name.

Hommie, wakasyu kamakura is the name of the piece, not the artist. The characters to the right of the Buddha???s head read "Kamakura Kyu nin no samurai" This translates to "The nine samurai of Kamakura." Kamakura is located south of Tokyo and was the capital of Japan prior to it being moved to Edo(Tokyo). The picture is of the "Dai Butsu" or "Huge Buddha." There is a huge bronze Buddha statue in Kamakura that is very famous. The picture is of the Samurai posing in front of the Dai Butsu.

man, thanks for the info, understanding it more makes it even better, i have a pic of the original of what its based on i think. thanks, i shall do some research!

regarding

very nice!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I love this piece.

I really like urban themed art, meaning, urban cityscapes.

Here's one I drew.

taza that's insane!i love how the train turns into those dragon float thingies,(if that's what its supposed to be), it reminds me of a mexican tribal style of art (i dont recall the proper terminology for it) do you have a bigger pic of that so i can see the detail?
    keep up the good works, audiolly an visually

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Fresh.

• this may be the freshest thing a human ever produced...it phucking blew me away the first time i saw it and still gives me shivers, just tremendous style and sharp, i'm asuming the artist's name is wakasyu kamakura, because that's the file name. i can't remember where i found this but it was saved on my harddrive. if anyone has details on the artist please let me know, it would be great to order a high res quality print. this pic is pretty large, so its nice to print out 8 x 10, if you're inclined.

^
    this is a piece by justin bua, the artist that does all those jazz paintings. this is most def my fav stuff of his and my fav painting ever at this point, i walked by it one day in downtown and my feet did an instant schreech like tires so the rest of my body flowed like gumby...it looks like it was done in pencil crayon (the pic i took is sheitty), its really detailed and gives u the grafitti style look and is pure class...the best thing about this piece is i have a dimmer in my room where i have it, and depending on the intensity of the light, the painting totally changes flavor...from sunset to dawn. got the print for 30 bucks on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28009&item=7323212387&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

any other pieces y'all can post that have the flavoUr?

no offense homie,but that Japanese style/graff/art shit is widdack to the 3rd power. Unforunately most hip hop influenced "art" produced now and days is the same..wack beyond belief.

• holler at ya boy Mike 2600 for some fresh "hip hop inspired" art. He seems to know what time it is.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    BEWARE THE BLUNTED NEEDLE!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

no offense homie,but that Japanese style/graff/art shit is widdack to the 3rd power.

Seriously...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

i'm asuming the artist's name is wakasyu kamakura, because that's the file name.

I think the artists name might be wakasyu, because the area that picture is based on called KAMAKURA, it's an area close to Yokohama in Japan, that buddah is out there in the open...

A tsunami knocked everything in the area down back in the day including the temple that originally housed the buddah and the buddah was left standing in the open... how ill is that? check the picture..

peace.

wickedness! thanks for that, must have been a trip to see it in the live.