Serato 1.5 recording of vinyl...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
... I knew this feature existed but i just tested this out and oh my god shit is so fucking ON right now you have no idea. None of you will ever hear from me/see me again.Side note - Emily King feat. The Notorious BIG "Walk In My Shoes" is that FIRE right there.

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I tried to told you about BOTH these things a long time ago, blud! Just be sure you don't accidentally close out of Serato before you save/re-encode/name all your shit.

And that Emily King track is super summery, isn't it?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This process has been the bane of my existence lately. I can't focus long enough to record more than a couple tracks at a time. I get bored as all hell and just start mixing.

On a side note, I solved my laptop problem... my group was way under budget this past quarter so I bought myself a nice new HP laptop yesterday. 1.8Ghz processor, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. It's supposed to be work related

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    shit is so fucking ON right now you have no idea. None of you will ever hear from me/see me again.

sayin.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    what does this mean?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    what does this mean?

You know the Serato SSL program, right? Well basically the new(ish) version will record your vinyl automatically, in a very simple way. It's made it SUPER simple to encode anything.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    what does this mean?

You know the Serato SSL program, right? Well basically the new(ish) version will record your vinyl automatically, in a very simple way. It's made it SUPER simple to encode anything.

How so? I want details.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    really?? like, really???

That would make my life a gajillion times easier.

I mean shit - last night, as I was disassembling my set-up (moving day), I was simulatenously ripping a rare LP and 45 that I had to sell today???

What's the conversion like, quality-wise?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

How so? I want details.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    really?? like, really???

I mean shit - last night, as I was disassembling my set-up (moving day), I was simulatenously ripping a rare LP and 45 that I had to sell today???

It records as AIFF files (1411.2kbps) so it's high.

Hey Jonny I gotta go. TV On the Radio is performing in the park for free in a few minutes so I'm off to check that. I'll holler at you about that thing later.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    what does this mean?

not really. but i'm following it and trying to decide when to jump in.

really?? like, really???

It records as AIFF files (1411.2kbps) so it's high.

Hey Jonny I gotta go. TV On the Radio is performing in the park for free in a few minute

Why am I suddenly regretting leaving Brooklyn.

Ah well.... at least I have fittyleven bars within a stones throw of my new apartment!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how do ya'lls deal with clipping on this shit? it seems a lot easier to monitor through soundforge for me..

• that's hot, i need to buy a nicer needle before i commit my wax to 1's and 0's

also i read that you have more control over the levels if you put your master outs of your mixer into a serato input and set it from PHONO to LINE. That way you are sending in a strong signal into the computer and not relying on the software to set your levels.

sorry if that last paragraph was too technical but i think this post is already nerdy enough to be on that level

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    how do ya'lls deal with clipping on this shit? it seems a lot easier to monitor through soundforge for me..

the levels in serato let you know. you just don't want shit going into the red and you're cool.

is there some sort of "normalize" feature?

Do you have to go song by song, or can you record an entire side of an album and split it up later?

I think this would be best for things actually to be played in Serato, whole albums and such for casual listening probably still better through Digital Performer (in my case).

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

also i read that you have more control over the levels if you put your master outs of your mixer into a serato input and set it from PHONO to LINE. That way you are sending in a strong signal into the computer and not relying on the software to set your levels.

This is a good tip....I was having trouble setting the levels correctly.

I also notice that sometimes even when the levels aren't in the red, it peak the red. Does that make sense?

-peeJ

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This is a good tip....I was having trouble setting the levels correctly.

I also notice that sometimes even when the levels aren't in the red, it peak the red. Does that make sense?

-peeJ

I haven't used the rec. feature in 1.5, but I would check that all volume controls (master vol and gain on your mixer, serato gain etc.) are at somewhat similar levels. If you have one turned too low and another too high to compensate for it that could cause that to happen.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you people...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    you people...

Racist.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm still rocking ABSOLUTE MODE

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Baby ain't got back, baby got black, That's why you see the black baby and you respect that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    4:00 Throw laptops into the crowd

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    still waiting on the TTM57SL to be in stock...

Simultaneously encoding of two records at once..

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I went to encode "Slide" by Slave and ended up listening to it 4 times in a row.

"Son Of Slide" is next I think.

Or Bill Summers.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I haven't used the rec. feature in 1.5, but I would check that all volume controls (master vol and gain on your mixer, serato gain etc.) are at somewhat similar levels. If you have one turned too low and another too high to compensate for it that could cause that to happen.

yeah you should just use the feature and you'll see what i mean. the levels on your mixer don't matter at all (unless you hook it up as described by the tip above). Normally the turntable goes directly to the box, and gets recorded that way.

-pj

• still waiting on the TTM57SL to be in stock...

Simultaneously encoding of two records at once..

on the 57 can you use the trim controls on the mixer to set the imput volume to serato w/o feeding it the master outs? i'm still waiting to find a sucker to buy my rane 54i & serato ssl box so i can upgrade to the 57

also anyone wanna upload that biggie song talked about in this post, i'm severly disconected from the world...i'm only on the internet cause my next door neighbor doesnt protect their wireless

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

nooooooooooo!... the guy i dj with on saturday still uses absolute, and i get so mad at him... i've been using relative so long, it almost seems like if you're using absolute, you might as well just use records

• dayday 9,611 Posts

nooooooooooo!... the guy i dj with on saturday still uses absolute, and i get so mad at him... i've been using relative so long, it almost seems like if you're using absolute, you might as well just use records

That's the point, no?

I'll mess with it again, but for doubles etc I need to pick the needle up. I'm sure there's some basic shit I'm missing, but I've been using it like this for so long I'm just used to it.

• day,

the way i see it if serato is cheating you might as well cheat all the way. spend some time messing around with cue points and instant doubles and you might see the light

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    day,

the way i see it if serato is cheating you might as well cheat all the way. spend some time messing around with cue points and instant doubles and you might see the light

Haha, everyone has told me that and I know Ayers, Cosmo, Cashless, Hoggolero etc. all swear by it. I still mark cue points but I just drop the needle. I'll mess with it today. This thread got me recording records (this new Earl Remix 12" with QTip & Busta is kinda nice) so I'll be getting my DILDO on most definitley.

Can someone explain how you're supposed to get back to certain parts of the record that aren't cue points? I know there's gotta be hot keys for it.
    [Cashless]Use the "?" key fool[/Cashless]