15 years for NOL looters

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
15 years is WWWWAYYYY to long for taking some liquor. People shouldn't even get 6 months for something so trivial. http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/29/looters.sentenced.ap/index.htmlKENNER, Louisiana (AP) -- Three people convicted of hauling away liquor, wine and beer from a grocery store after Hurricane Katrina were sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison.The judge said he wanted to send a message that looting would not be tolerated when he gave the maximum sentence to Coralnelle Little, 36, Rhonda McGowen, 42, and Paul C. Pearson, 36, all of Kenner.A jury convicted the trio May 2 on a portion of the state's looting law that took effect two weeks before the Aug. 29 storm. The amended law set a three-year minimum sentence, and a maximum of 15 years in prison, for looting during a declared state of emergency.They were convicted of attempting to leave the grocery with 27 bottles of liquor and wine, six cases of beer and one case of wine coolers, six days after Katrina made landfall.Little, McGowen and Pearson each testified that they were not looting, but they offered conflicting accounts of matters such as who drove to the store.Pearson's attorney, Bruce Netterville, said the sentence and conviction would be appealed."We believe the sentence is excessive," said Netterville.Attorneys for the other defendants agreed.

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    [sabadabba]Shows them right. They should of known better and been prepared by not living in poverty, going to school, and getting a good job in life[/sabadabba]

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    [sabadabba]Shows them right. They should of known better and been prepared by not living in poverty, going to school, and getting a good job in life[/sabadabba]

So on point.

Man, fuck that. I'd want to get drunk too.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    wouldn't it make sense to have more lenient penalties for looting during a state of emergency? stores were obviously closed during katrina, and while alcohol is certainly not a necessity, are looters who took diapers and milk going to be given 15 year prison sentences?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    wouldn't it make sense to have more lenient penalties for looting during a state of emergency? stores were obviously closed during katrina, and while alcohol is certainly not a necessity, are looters who took diapers and milk going to be given 15 year prison sentences?

[sabadaba]NO! AS YOU SAID THEY WHERE OBVIOUSLY CLOSED! They should of just swarm over to a store that was Open 24 hours! I had a state of emergency just last week, I needed to pick up a couple of grenades for my fishing trip but my local Wal-Mart was closed! You didn't see me looting![/sabadabba]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    wouldn't it make sense to have more lenient penalties for looting during a state of emergency?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

i should certainly hope not. i'd just like to point out that Mike Tyson was give a 6 year sentence (and served three) for RAPE.