Strange Fruit Project - The Healing

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I was almost prepared to maintain a passive disinterest in this album. I've been into much of Strange Fruit's previous material. Friends of mine have even worked with them. Unfortunately I was justifiably disappointed by the only time I've seen them perform live and since haven't been all that interested in a revisit. But damned if this new album isn't a good one. For as much as I've been removing myself from any semblances of what some might call recycled safe-hop, Strange Fruit has somehow found a way to move enough beyond the Native Tongues-Slum Village-Little Brother comparisons to forge some truly decent other shit. And they even made a Seattle connection by bringing on Jake One and Vitamin D .

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    i haven't heard this yet, but i want to. That Soul Travellin' (?) one was good. the MC's were decent, but the beats were bananas, especially Illmind's shit. if jake and D are on it, then it's a rap. i'm gettin' it.

"Safe-hop" is i always need a term for shit like that

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I wasn't feelin' the previous album too much but "All the Way" from '04 was my FUCKIN' SONG. The production on their singles is what really gets my attention. IllMind has some pretty good stuff in terms of indie shit as well.

what's "SAFE RAP"?!?! Like...shit that isn't "whip whipping it real hard"?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the albun has a good vibe.
    but the snares they use on the tracks really get on my nerves. that old chicken grease type from 2003.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm using it to describe goody-two-shoes true school hip-hop that's completely inoffensive. I'm not saying hip-hop has to have violence and curse words in it, but if it doesn't I at least like it to have some humor and wit. or some other kind of flavor like Lyrics Born or something. "Much "safe-hop" has no lyrical flavor at all.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm using it to describe goody-two-shoes true school hip-hop that's completely inoffensive. I'm not saying hip-hop has to have violence and curse words in it, but if it doesn't I at least like it to have some humor and wit. or some other kind of flavor like Lyrics Born or something. "Much "safe-hop" has no lyrical flavor at all.

like "rapping about rapping"-rap? yeah I hate that shit...talk about being tempted or something. What's funny is that I would totally put Lyrics Born atop the safe-rap pile.