I was at The Shining hotel in Colorado...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
The Stanley (AKA the Overlook hotel) in Estes Park Colorado. My sister got married there this weekend. The Stanley is where Steven King stayed and wrote The Shining. When Kubrick filmed it, he filmed it in some Hotel in Canada. So then Steven King went back and they filmed a made for TV version in the hotel that he wrote the book for.My sister gave everybody copies of the DVD as a gift, and I'm watching it right now. Its crazy to be like "Dude! I was just there!"Colorado is cool as fuck. Those mountains are so pretty. I talked to some giant hillbilly in a bar called Kelly's and he let me take my picture with him. I'll post it up later. Dude looked like one of those gigantic pigs you see at the fair. The cool thing about being so high up in the mountains is that the air is thinner so the alcohol goes straight to your system and whoops your ass. Plus I looked uber douglas in my pinstripe suit.Anyways, I highly recomend everybody going to the Rocky Mountains to get your john denver on and appreciate some motherfucking nature.This morning I went to Safeway and I was hungry for breakfast and at the deli they had these Breakfast Paninis. Me and my sister wanted one so I was like "Hey, let me get some breakfast poonani." Inside I was dying and the dude helping me didn't get it. I thought it was hilarious. Anyways, thats how I spent my weekend. Word.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "Hey, let me get some breakfast puccini."

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    The Stanley (AKA the Overlook hotel) in Estes Park Colorado.

hell yeah. i spent a night there for new years about 7 or 8 years ago. we were the only people drinking because there a bunch of kids taking massive amounts of drugs and raving. it was funny.

but on a serious note, dizzy is completely correct. i lived not too far from estes for 3 years. super dope area. go visit. if you snowboard go down to loveland pass and put your thumb out for free lift tickets all day.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I believe Kubrick filmed a lot of the movie in a resort hotel on Mt Washington in New Hampshire.
    Tally ho
    T.N.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    My brother's in the Air Force, stationed near NORAD. I'm going to go there in the fall. Sounds like a nice place to visit

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    some of the foyer/lobby shots were the ahwanee in yosemite, no?

• The exterior shots (save for the hedge maze) are Timberline Lodge at Mt Hood, near Portland, OR (no bizzo).

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    About 5-6 years ago, I wanted to get stationed in Ft. Carson really bad but I just ended up staying in Ft. Lewis.

Colorado is definitely a place that I would like to visit before I die.