WEEKEND FINDS! (rr)

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I had a good week/weekend...all are thrift store finds except for the blacula recordand the find of the week...for only $1.00!

Comments

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Little dude first time weekend finds post, but I'm stoked because these were all FREE.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

nice minty copy in the shrink on Yew
    also - Salazar "make it as easy as 123" 12 inch
    and the Entourage Music & Theatre Ensemble "the neptune collection" on Folkways

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    early morning garage sale action:

house #1

$1 each, and the kid was charging $5 for commodores records and $10 for star wars soundtrack.

house #2

this right here has got to be the most effed up music i've heard in recent years. here's a review from amazon: "On Philosophy, the teenaged sisters' delirious, playfully constructed music has everything you least expect: loopy polyrhythms that follow no external law, off-kilter singing conducted in unison that sounds like the hit parade broadcast from Jupiter, and bizarre, elementary-school guitar playing. Best enjoyed in small doses, this enchanting, accidental music approximates the highly personal charms of so-called "outsider" visual art. To paraphrase a saccharine song of yore, the Shaggs' music is very beautiful--in its own way."

house #3

yesterday's thrift shop action:

thrift #1

afrocentric free jazz out of berkeley.

thrift #2

nice xian psych/folk on the mark label.

thrift #3

this is definitely a for sure! it's got everything from bossa, spacy moog grooves, to straight ahead jazz. my cut has got to be "muddy footprints".

and i made a stop in the barrio to pick this up from some vato for $10 sealed

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    early morning garage sale action:

Shaggs at a garage sale!!! Well, it is the '80 Rounder pressing, which still turns up like... never!! Impressive...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

this is definitely a for sure! it's got everything from bossa, spacy moog grooves, to straight ahead jazz. my cut has got to be "muddy footprints".

This may interest you.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Little dude first time weekend finds post, but I'm stoked because these were all FREE.

How is that one on GEMA in the upper left corner? I think I remember hearing something good about that lp, but I know nothing about it.

some good stuff for cheap ($1 ea.) today (no camera, therefore no pics)

Fugees - the score LP
    Big Daddy Kane - I'll take you there 12"
    Audio Two - Top Billin 12"
    Mark Morrison - trippin 12" (with return of the mack beatminerz remix)
    Grand Puba - 360 (what goes around) 12"
    Special Ed - The mission 12"
    Blahzay Blahzay - Danger 12"
    Biz Markie - Just a Friend 12"
    Kurtis Blow - Rappin Blow 12" (double)
    Masters At Work - The Album
    Hardrive EP (ill stuff on Strictly Rhythm) (double)
    Hardrive - Deep Inside 12" (remixes)
    Raze - break for love 12"
    the Bucketheads - the bomb 12"
    Robert owens - i'll be your friend 12"
    K.C.Y.C - I'm not dreaming / side by side 12" (nice kerri chandler track)
    Joyce Sims - Come into my life LP

+ like 15 other records i dont feel like listing.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    truth of truths-a contemporary rock opera 2x lp

the crowns of glory-won't it be grand

beatriz marquez-regresa (ill cuban lp from 81 that sounds like 71)

julie driscoll and brian auger-streetnoise 2x lp ("a word about color" is way too ill and short)

zao-typhareth

peace,xavier

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This is a mega-rare Christian LP with some garage/fuzz cuts and some dark folky cuts with a couple sounding like a stripped down AZITIS. I have only seen this one other time when I found a copy in the 90's in St. Louis.....anyone else ever find this LP??

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    for FREE (had to move a ton of records to get at them...)

SESSOMATTO 12"
    RISCO CONNECTIONS "AIN'T NO STOPPIN US NOW"
    BULLITT OST
    KATHRYN MOSES w/ "READY OR NOT"

a good day indeed!!

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts
    Found a few boxes of 45s at a town wide sale here in Pa. Town wide sales usually suck with just a lot of used baby clothes and an old lady with a jar of marbles but this one was alright. No Cali sales where people are putting out Shaggs and great jazz but digging has never been easy in central Pa. Keep telling myself that someday polka and Tennessee Ernie Ford stuff is going to be so in demand and I will be buying NBA franchises when they do

Left is some deep early gospel soul (60?). Right is actually a sorting out some piles around the house forgot about you find by Mr. Opel. Can't find anything on this one. Raer? K in Canada know a thing?

Hey rockabilly. Anybody else dig this stuff? These two are just OK. Not the real Charlie Feathers shit which are straight

Two tougher releases by two legends. Always in demand on the soul circuit.

Left sounds like Chicago cover of Motown hit. Right is nice arranged white girl soul that actually sounds something like something off Pet Sounds

Never heard this Ike&Tina cut and it is rock solid. I can't not dance to The Breakdown. I can't do it.

Don't know much about Sons of Nature. Good funk out of Maryland. Any demand?

Got 5 copies if anyone wants it of this Moments 45 which is a must for late 70s soul people. Did this get a 12 release? Folkways are true library scores out of a local high school- step up your Dewey Decimal game

Finally two ebay wins come knocking. King Nando is boss.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Local spot soul digs and finally snagged a copy of Fred Wesley off ebay. Listening to Candi Staton at the moment...i'm feeling this one. I was amazed at the Lenny Williams as well.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Local spot soul digs and finally snagged a copy of Fred Wesley off ebay. Listening to Candi Staton at the moment...i'm feeling this one. I was amazed at the Lenny Williams as well.

Yeah, that Lenny Williams is pretty good. I put a song from there on my Soulstrut mix many moons ago. That record was produced by Eugene McDaniels as well.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i was pleasantly surprised with the backcover credits as well.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

SESSOMATTO 12"
    RISCO CONNECTIONS "AIN'T NO STOPPIN US NOW"
    BULLITT OST
    KATHRYN MOSES w/ "READY OR NOT"

nice! i would move a lot of records to get a copy of risco.

these are my favorites from the weekend, all $2.

blair's been my number one want for a while, so this basically made my week.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Couple eBay things from over the week, and a few local items from the past couple days:

Funny - haven't seen that 5 Americans in years, but I get in a conversation
    about it on Soul Strut and a mint promo turns up in my regular spot
    the next day...that shit kinda almost freaks me out...
    Bobo is fire...Lucien is a little noisy but nice grown & sexy sounds...
    the Byron Lee is really dope, "Shoo-Be-Doo" is my jam...Supremes is UK OG,
    J.J. Jackson was sealed, "Indian Thing" is total facemelt - Boyce & Hart
    is cool heavily produced beatlesque pop, Silver Apples was an ebay splurge
    when my paypal acct got loaded up, beautiful unplayed vinyl with the poster
    like word...John Stewart is Waxidermy singer songwriter $1 bin score of the week

greasy R&B instro with some of the fattest sounding horns and bass evar

Very early Smokey Robinson effort with crazy surreal lyrics. Birth of Motown.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Jesus, I had better get out there, because apparently new jazz titles are $1 and franticdiagnosis is running a hefty $2.

Wife and I went for a stroll in "real florida," aka a nature preserve, out of earshot of people, autos, and everything man-made. Started raining, and after it was done, out of nowhere, all the frogs started chirping at once. heavy shit.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    og mono copy of this
    my favorite archie shepp
    finally found a mint copy of one of my favorite curtis mayfield lps

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    can't go wrong with yellow sunshine!

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Hadnt planned on any record shopping this weekend, but im glad I stopped in at a local store to find these:

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    jesus, rooster Shaggs at a garage sale? Awesome.

I walked over 40 blocks this weekend checking out thrifts and garage sales and found one single record.

James White and the Contortions - Second Chance

What the fuck. Some of you guys pull more quality finds in one post than I do in 4 months :MAH BACK HURTS:

I do have some nice leads, though. A folk collection, basement of untouched 45s, and small LP collection from 60s collector. So, things are looking up!

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    some Philly digs over the weekend. Crazy ducal shout out to the strutter 'dgriot' who was sporting a soulstrut t-shirt at the digspot!!

Dizzy Gillespie- Portrait of Jenny (Perception)
    Big John Patton- Let em Roll (Blue Note NY USA)
    Duke Pearson- Right Touch (Blue Note Liberty)
    Isley Bros- Givin it Back (T-Neck)
    Keno Duke- Crest of the Wave (Trident)
    Barbara Mason- Give me your Love (Buddah)
    Olatunji- Soul Makossa (Paramount)
    Latin Jazz Quintet- Oh Pharoah Speak (Trip)
    Zimbo Trio- s/t (RGE)
    Johnny Taylor Philosophy Continues (Stax)
    Introducing the Afro Blues Quintet + 1 (Mira)
    Larry Young's Fuel- Spaceball (Arista)

p.s. you dudes are killin it with your finds!! i'm looking at you shitzr and whoever found the Shaggs and Franticdiagnosis!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I found a copy of this:

Google tells me it is the first pop record ever made in Israel. From 1967, The High Windows.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    just a couple, but both are top shelf:
    raer Memphis funk

slim getting da funky braeks goin' on a Johnny Cash standard

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    raer Memphis funk

Dude - I've got a Wanderl??a LP where she sings that song in Portuguese! Ha!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    raer Memphis funk

Dude - I've got a Wanderl??a LP where she sings that song in Portuguese! Ha!

you always grabbin' the raer memphis internacionale covers! first "Train pour Le Memphis"...Brian and his Eddy Mitchell Otis cover and now this! Plaese to trade MP3 raer...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Kool G Rap - My Life promo 12"

King Errisson - LA Bound promo LP

The Spinners - I'll Be Around repress 12"
    (yall mess w/these 45 rpm Atlantic repress 12"s much?)

• i picked up hugh masekela's promise of the future a couple of days ago, but the actual record in the sleeve was hugh masekela's latest, whuddoyouknow i went to the same record store this morning, saw hugh masekelas latest, looked at the record in the sleeve and it was a promise of the future.
    i also picked up
    albert ayeler - vibrations 1975 reissue
    the name game - shirley ellis
    smokey robinson and the miracles live
    the olympics - sing
    i need a digital camera

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The Spinners - I'll Be Around repress 12"
    (yall mess w/these 45 rpm Atlantic repress 12"s much?)

I've always been curious about those, but they're expensive and no shops around here carry them.

How's the sound quality? Does it have those light, thin, fragile grooves you see on a lot of UK presses?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It's been pretty quiet on the record front this week. I'm waiting on a couple things to arrive in the post from a seemingly sheisty OZ dealer (not impressed). Anyways, all I got was the Del Jones re-ish from Rockadelic. AND AMAZINGLY A NEW GIRLFRIEND (shocking I know, after the crash & burn that my marriage ended in). I'm pretty surprised about the whole thing to say the least. I guess I'll just see what happens.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "girlfriend" listed in a weekend finds post.

I'm not sure if this represents an apex or nadir for soul strut.

is she cute? VG++?