Claydes Charles Smith R.I.P.

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Damn, More sad news ya'll From CNN.COM:Kool & the Gang co-founder deadClaydes Charles Smith co-wrote 'Celebration,' 'Jungle Boogie'Friday, June 23, 2006; Posted: 8:38 a.m. EDT (12:38 GMT) LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Claydes Charles Smith, a co-founder and lead guitarist of the group Kool & the Gang, has died. He was 57.Smith died Tuesday in Maplewood, New Jersey, after a long illness, his publicist said.Kool & the Gang grew from jazz roots in the 1960s to become one of the major groups of the 1970s, blending jazz, funk, R&B and pop. After a downturn, the group enjoyed a return to stardom in the '80s.Smith wrote the hits "Joanna" and "Take My Heart," and was a co-writer of others, including "Celebration," "Hollywood Swinging" and "Jungle Boogie."Smith was introduced to jazz guitar by his father in the early 1960s.Later in that decade, he was in a group of New Jersey jazz musicians, including Ronald Bell (later Khalis Bayyan), Robert "Kool" Bell, George Brown, Dennis Thomas and Robert "Spike" Mickens, who became Kool & the Gang. Other members would include lead singer James "JT" Taylor.

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    R.I.P. Mr. Smith. Always coming through with the scratchy rhythm guitar as well as the melodic jazzy touches. That wahwah on "North East South West" is the illest ever.

• So sad. K&TG was the band that turned me on to funk, and Claydes' playing was no small part of that. RIP to one of my idols.
    His style of combining chordes with single-note lines was the foundation for so many incredible songs.

Who's Gonna Take The Weight?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "The idea of this composition is to project a feeling of pure happiness, harmony, and love for all. May it always sound happy and joyous. It is also dedicated to all beings of the Creator. May it bring true light and understanding of all self and all things in some way. 'Amen'" - Ronald Bell

Respect and Blessings to Claydes Smith

• Damn.

I believe that also ends a pretty crazy streak-- my understanding is that, but for the addition of singer James Taylor in the late 70s, K&tG played with the exact same personnel for over 35 years. I can't think of another group in pop music that can make that claim.

BTW, anybody know how his first name was pronounced?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Damn.

I believe that also ends a pretty crazy streak-- my understanding is that, but for the addition of singer James Taylor in the late 70s, K&tG played with the exact same personnel for over 35 years. I can't think of another group in pop music that can make that claim.

BTW, anybody know how his first name was pronounced?

Can't help you with the first name, but I always pronounced it Clay-Dez. As for the "35 years" thing, I think there was an enforced line-up change in 1980, when their o.g. keyboard player (and composer of "Dujii") Richard Westfield died, but other than that, I think you're right.