DONALD GOINES

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this? The DVD can be had for next to nothing on the Bay,but I'm not getting inspired by the prospect of theDonald Goines story through the eyes of DMX and Fab Five Freddy...B/WAnybody read his stuff? I've read two and liked them both, but he has so many I'd be interested in which people thinkare the best, so I can pick up a few more without stressing.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The DMX movie wasn't that bad, it just had a weird feel to it because of the editing.

• A funny story.

About ten years ago I put "Trick Baby" and "Black Gangster" by Donald Goines on my Christmas list that I gave to my mom, kind of as a joke. Come Christmas morning I open a box with about 10 Goines books in it. It was one of the coolest gifts I ever got. She told me the lady at the bookstore gave her a dirty look when she asked fo them.

The books are real gritty and street level. The books are filled with pimpin', dope shootin', hustlin', and 70s ghetto life. They're easy reads and you can usually get through them in under a week (some only took me a day to read). Donald Goines talked the talk and walked the walk. If reality and authenticity is what you want, these are the books. He was shot here in Detroit years back in what was called "a drug deal gone bad".

Recommended:

"Black Gangster"
    "Trick Baby"
    "White Man's Justice, Black Man's Grief"

SONIC

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

A funny story.

About ten years ago I put "Trick Baby" and "Black Gangster" by Donald Goines on my Christmas list that I gave to my mom, kind of as a joke. Come Christmas morning I open a box with about 10 Goines books in it. It was one of the coolest gifts I ever got. She told me the lady at the bookstore gave her a dirty look when she asked fo them.

The books are real gritty and street level. The books are filled with pimpin', dope shootin', hustlin', and 70s ghetto life. They're easy reads and you can usually get through them in under a week (some only took me a day to read). Donald Goines talked the talk and walked the walk. If reality and authenticity is what you want, these are the books. He was shot here in Detroit years back in what was called "a drug deal gone bad".

Recommended:

"Black Gangster"
    "Trick Baby"

SONIC

When I was running a residential treatment center for gang youth years ago, Goines was about the only thing that those dudes would read.

• Recommended:

"Black Gangster"
    "Trick Baby"

just for clarification "Trick Baby" was penned by Iceberg Slim

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i read Whoreson. pretty brutal

• Recommended:

"Black Gangster"
    "Trick Baby"

just for clarification "Trick Baby" was penned by Iceberg Slim

My fault, I meant "Whoreson".

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i've read Dopefiend and one other... nice, nasty pulp... Goines is to Chester Himes what Jim Thompson is to Chandler; a leaner, nastier version...