havent heard it in 10 years appreciation

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I just listened to Eno's "Here Come the Warm Jets"...I honestly havent listened to this rekkid in 10 years...goddamn what a wonderful, weird, spacey thing of a record...why did I not listen to this damn thing more often? Anybody else appreciating something they just dug out that they havent listened to in a long ass time?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    y'all gotta be shittin' me...no one has listened to an album recently they hadnt listened to in years and are now really likin it?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Hook n Sling,

I gotta say, I had this reaction after listening to "The 2nd John Handy Album" by The John Handy Quintet. This album has a nice bop feel, with sort of an abstract, free form of jazz mixed in. Dope!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Stereolab "switched on" still sounds great after all these years
    Also Unrest "perfect teeth"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "The 2nd John Handy Album" by The John Handy Quintet.

copped it recently. listening right now. lovely.

• Stereolab "switched on" still sounds great after all these years
    Also Unrest "perfect teeth"

yeah, fuck that Stereolab DOES sound good after all this time! i am wearing a concert tee as i write this(lol!)

in a related vein, i am currently re-listening/appreciating Juan Esquivel after retiring his music for about 8 years now.
    man is a bloody genius!!

his cover of 'jalousy' and 'who's sorry now?' - unbelievable!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I gotta add on "Fruits of Nature" by The UMC's, which I listened to on the way to and from work the past couple of days. I forgot how much I liked that album. A few other albums I've felt this way about recently have been:

-"Cruisin'"-Tom Browne (childhood fave).
    -"S/T"-David Sancious (inspired by the fusion thread).
    -"S/T"-Good God (strange LP I didn't pay much attention back then).
    -"S/T"-The Third World (an odd pick-up over a decade ago).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I hadn't heard Steel Pulse "Earth Crisis" start to finish in probably 20 years... it was a high school fave that I never picked up on wax after my cassette copy wore out. The other night out at dinner it came on and played all the way through... such a nice thing to hear while eating softshell crab. Honest. and that was before crabstrut.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I gotta say, I had this reaction after listening to "The 2nd John Handy Album" by The John Handy Quintet. This album has a nice bop feel, with sort of an abstract, free form of jazz mixed in. Dope!!!!

Yeah, definetely. Just heard it again recently and whoa, Handy is on some heavy shit on that one. In fact, I like all of Handy's sixties stuff (forget the seventies!).

And this one is more like a "havent heard it in 20 years appreciation": "Oh Sheila" by Ready For The World. Completely forgot about that! My partner in dj crime played it last thursday, and it was an instant walk down a memory lane I forgot existed. Gotta go get me an S-curl now.