Is Reggaeton the new Freestyle?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This new mutant strain of dancehall annoys the fuck out of me.Can someone take the haterade bottle out of my hands.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Remember that scene in Wayne's World II where Garth is getting his teeth drilled whilst at a Kenny G concert?

Kinda how I feel about Reggaeton.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Is Pitbull's music considered Reggaeton, or is it Cuban hip-bop "laced with Reggaeton influence?" Either way, I like those Culo and Toma joints. Catchy.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Reggaeton's aight. There's good tunes and bad ones. One of our local hispanic AM stations plays some of the more hispanic (less reggae) examples of the genre, so it's nice to hear tunes that deviate from that standard annoying "reggaeton beat" you hear on so many whitelabels and hiphop/reggaeton remixes.

Stateside bollywood DJs are already putting out reggaeton/bolly remix CDs too, though I can't really vouch for the quality. They mostly sound like two completely different songs playing at the same time.

And as I mentioned previously, don't forget that the Turkish owner of a club I DJ at told me that reggaeton is "huge in Turkey." Don't sleep.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Reggaeton's aight. There's good tunes and bad ones. One of our local hispanic AM stations plays some of the more hispanic (less reggae) examples of the genre, so it's nice to hear tunes that deviate from that standard annoying "reggaeton beat" you hear on so many whitelabels and hiphop/reggaeton remixes.

Stateside bollywood DJs are already putting out reggaeton/bolly remix CDs too, though I can't really vouch for the quality. They mostly sound like two completely different songs playing at the same time.

And as I mentioned previously, don't forget that the Turkish owner of a club I DJ at told me that reggaeton is "huge in Turkey." Don't sleep.

So is Mcdonalds.
    Freestyle is closely related to disco but this stuff is suspect.
    Good Dancehall can be played in dub. Ive never heard this stuff played
    instramental.
    Sorry I just cant control my hate.

Good Dancehall can be played in dub. Ive never heard this stuff played
    instramental.

Ive never heard doo-wop played instrumental either - that's not really the best benchmark for a genre's legitimacy.

Besides, some of the greatest hiphop tracks ever would be quite challenging to listen to as instrumentals for their entire running length, as would many dancehall tracks that haven't been dubbed out effects-wise.

Ive never heard doo-wop played instrumental either - that's not really the best benchmark for a genre's legitimacy.

Besides, some of the greatest hiphop tracks ever would be quite challenging to listen to as instrumentals for their entire running length, as would many dancehall tracks that haven't been dubbed out effects-wise.

To co-op Reggae like it has, playing dub would legitimize it to a degree with
    me. Of Course some of the greatest hiphop tracks are vocal driven. Is Reggaeton vocal dependant? Once you omit the vocals is it just bad dancehall?
    Where is its glue/draw.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Is Pitbull's music considered Reggaeton, or is it Cuban hip-bop "laced with Reggaeton influence?" Either way, I like those Culo and Toma joints. Catchy.

I think it's hip-hop with a sabor cubano. And I like Pitbull.

Anyone else get the feeling that a lot of people who are now into reggaeton don't even like dancehall?

Anyone else get the feeling that a lot of people who are now into reggaeton don't even like dancehall?
    No doubt. Latin Reggae has been around for years especially up here
    in the Bronx. When this "new" sound occurred, what makes it unique from
    Spanish on top of Dancehall reggae. Whats the "ton".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I think it's hip-hop with a sabor cubano. And I like Pitbull.

Man, I been said that! I hate that shit. The same MF's that used to say "nobody wants to hear that reggae shit" are now begging to hear some reggaeton hot garbage and NEVER dance during the dancehall sets.

Cashless, full of Reggaeton haterade since day uno.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    To co-op Reggae like it has
    I don't know that this is really a valid statement. This shit has a fiarly long history (back to the late 80's early 90's w/ people like El General) so I'm not so sure it's co-opting reggae. And to echo a little bit what marco said, I like the "Chrome" riddim a lot but I don't think I wanna listen to it run out in instrumental form. Reggaton is just party music w/ chants and percusion, not to deep but then it's primary purpose is for mami's to shake they ass. And I'm ok w/ that. There is certainly some crap in the genre though, just like all genres.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    To co-op Reggae like it has
    I don't know that this is really a valid statement. This shit has a fiarly long history (back to the late 80's early 90's w/ people like El General) so I'm not so sure it's co-opting reggae. And to echo a little bit what marco said, I like the "Chrome" riddim a lot but I don't think I wanna listen to it run out in instrumental form. Reggaton is just party music w/ chants and percusion, not to deep but then it's primary purpose is for mami's to shake they ass. And I'm ok w/ that. There is certainly some crap in the genre though, just like all genres.

I dunno bruh. Even the name in and of itself has been co-opted from Reggae. What does "Reggae"ton have to do with reggae? Nothing deeper than a few drum beats. Dancehall can sound like any and everything and remain dancehall. Get Tego to rock over the Asthma (old I know) riddim and it's latin hip hop all of a sudden.

The shits corny on principle alone. It doesn't need any further qualification.

blah...

Reggaton is just party music w/ chants and percusion, not to deep but then it's primary purpose is for mami's to shake they ass. And I'm ok w/ that. There is certainly some crap in the genre though, just like all genres.
    So is it the new Freestyle? "for mami's to shake they ass."

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask me it's not the new freestyle, and I'm not even sure why. It just doesn't feel like it to me.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    rock over the Asthma (old I know) riddim

Still one of my favorite riddims. Bounty's "The Warning"?

I thought I told you
    That I will kill you
    I'm gonna kill you
    And I'm so glad now

With Wayne Marshall's "Top That," Frisco Kid's "Never Repeat" and Elephant's "Capish"--so necessary.

I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask me it's not the new freestyle, and I'm not even sure why. It just doesn't feel like it to me.

In terms on musical styles its not freestyle, but the cultural
    impact its having reminds me of NYC 1986.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Please to post a link to an online source for these reggaeton/bolly mix CDs?

(It's for a friend.)

Please to post a link to an online source for these reggaeton/bolly mix CDs?
    (It's for a friend.)

The main CD I'm thinking of is DJ Ashu's BOLLYWOOD HIGH 3: REGGAETON EDITION

Zibamusic.com apparently use to carry it, but no longer does. If there's an Indian music store in your area, they might have it. The two stores here in NC both had copies this month. I wouldn't go out of my way though. Like I said, it's

• OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
    This new mutant strain of dancehall annoys the fuck out of me.
    Can someone take the haterade bottle out of my hands.

reggeton was wack in 95,,, tis wack in 05. mofuva.
    it makes fat kids like this cry there little eyes out