giddy lil' dude moments

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
This past Friday, I got to meet Lyman Woodard and Ron English at a studio session in Metro Detroit.I guess it's just as good to hear Ron play his parts on Saturday Night Special as opposed to own the record. Wait, maybe not... but fuck it.I just wanted to share that. It was pretty cool.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That's ill! I had a chance to meet the drummer Leonard King at Street Corner a couple years ago. He's probably a regular there...I'm sure SonicReducer could lay a quick anecdote on us.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    That's ill! I had a chance to meet the drummer Leonard King at Street Corner a couple years ago. He's probably a regular there...I'm sure SonicReducer could lay a quick anecdote on us.
    The good people at Peoples Records tend to have some crazy stories too. In fact, I want to say they were supposed to be redistributing Saturday Night Special tees, but I don't know what happened to that.

Interesting tidbit: Lyman can play a hellacious gospel-style organ solo.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    This past Friday, I got to meet Lyman Woodard and Ron English at a studio session in Metro Detroit.

I guess it's just as good to hear Ron play his parts on Saturday Night Special as opposed to own the record.

Did you ask him about that? I don't remember the whole story about it. Also, didn't someone say they met a guy who claimed to have a copy but never proved it?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Ponderosa Stomp was one giddy lil' dude moment after another for me, seeing greats like Syl, Eddie Bo, Harvey Scales, etc. all in one night. Whew!

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    Gambit,

Wow, That would have been great to check out.

Did you get to see Lyman Woodard at the Tastefest last year? If so, do you remember the names of the fellas playing with him?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    This past Friday, I got to meet Lyman Woodard and Ron English at a studio session in Metro Detroit.

I guess it's just as good to hear Ron play his parts on Saturday Night Special as opposed to own the record.

Did you ask him about that? I don't remember the whole story about it. Also, didn't someone say they met a guy who claimed to have a copy but never proved it?
    You mean as in ask if he had any copies of the record? If yes, then I didn't ask either Lyman or Ron, but I told them I was a fan of their work. Lyman made a point to say that if I was a fan to cop the new P-Vine reissue of Don't Stop The Groove. He then went on to say that I was SOL on SNS and he said he was amazed about how much the record is worth these days. LOL
    Ron was the storyteller during his session - talking about touring with Eddie Russ and how he was a genius and the story behind the Saturday Night Special in terms of how they came together in the dwindling Detroit jazz scene.

I would bet any extra copies they could have had were gaffled years ago.

Gambit,

Wow, That would have been great to check out.

Did you get to see Lyman Woodard at the Tastefest last year? If so, do you remember the names of the fellas playing with him?
    actually, no I missed last year's Tastefest. I was caught up with something else that kept me from going all weekend.

I can't wait to hear the final project.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

You mean as in ask if he had any copies of the record? If yes, then I didn't ask either Lyman or Ron, but I told them I was a fan of their work.

I should have been more specific. I was talking about the
    that is "Fish Feet".

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

You mean as in ask if he had any copies of the record? If yes, then I didn't ask either Lyman or Ron, but I told them I was a fan of their work.

I should have been more specific. I was talking about the
    that is "Fish Feet".
    Dammit, I do remember folks talking about that here.

Nope, I definitely didn't ask that, but next time I run into them - I will.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

That was SonicReducer with the story. If I remember correctly, he said a guy came into the store and while every was rapping about Lyman and crew, the guy said he had a copy of Fish Feet. He was offered $X if he could go home and bring the record in to prove it and never showed back up.