Buying an SP1200 (eBay wariness related)

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
So I've got my eye on an SP1200 that's for sale on eBay (tried to find one locally...every source said, "Man, you're gonna have to go to eBay for that." Damn...). The problem is the item description doesn't say whether or not it comes with the OS/boot disk (nor does it say if it comes with the power cable and manual...but I assume the cable comes with it, and I know I can download the manual if I need it). I've messaged the seller a couple of times asking if these things come with the SP...no response. Really, the thing that's bugging me is the disk. I have to have that, right? Like, without the disk, won't I just have an expensive paperweight? And if I decide to buy this SP anyway, how hard are boot disks to come by?I've been wanting to get an SP for years. Now, I've got a chance to get one...I just want to make sure I don't get screwed in the process. Real heads, plaese to advise!

Comments

• Yes, you do need a boot disk. I may be able to get you one if you get the SP, but I can't guarantee it. I just sold my SP in December, I thought I got rid of all my disks but I saw a stack the other night. I also have some DSDD disks if you need them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yes, you do need a boot disk. I may be able to get you one if you get the SP, but I can't guarantee it. I just sold my SP in December, I thought I got rid of all my disks but I saw a stack the other night. I also have some DSDD disks if you need them.

Good lookin' out. I assume the boot disk can't just be copied onto another floppy, huh?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Good lookin' out. I assume the boot disk can't just be copied onto another floppy, huh?

that's right, sure someone can hook you up, i got rid of mine.
    although if the seller isn't returning your messages i would watch out.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I've messaged the seller a couple of times asking if these things come with the SP...no response.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I've messaged the seller a couple of times asking if these things come with the SP...no response.

True, true. I'm getting very, very anxious to hurry up and have an SP now that I can actually get one, but I've gotta restrain myself here. No message from this guy = no sale.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i just saw one on craiglist earlier today at a nice price...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/171991579.html

but again... no details about the disk.

EDIT... nevermind... i thought the dude was only askin $375 for the 1200... my bad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if it seems remotely sketchy on ebay, pass on that shit. sps aint as common as mpcs on ebay but you'll see another one soon.