The Philadelphia International Story - HELP!!!

scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Does anyone own this, or could shed some light on this for me??The Philadelphia International Story 1971-86 (Philadelphia International / Street Sounds 1986. 14LP boxset. Cat# PHST 1986-01 through PHST 1986-14."Various ??? The Philadelphia International Story 1971-86 (Philadelphia International / Street Sounds 1986)???various web sites claim this was a bootleg. Maybe it was but Morgan Khan was furiously releasing a mind boggling selection of bits and pieces from all over the soul, funk and jazz stratosphere, so I doubt it. I guess, over a wine or five he somehow managed to persuade someone at CBS to license the tracks which make up the bulk (there are later, non-CBS, tracks too) of this unbelievable anthology of what many claim is the greatest independent record label of the past thirty years. Certainly PIR was the equal of Motown, Stax and Chess in changing the face of black contemporary music. Simply put, there are black American records pre-PIR and black American records post-PIR and the difference is both obvious and substantial. Fourteen big fat slabs of thick, beautiful black vinyl with god knows how many tracks which include every major track on the label (think O???Jays, MFSB, Billy Paul, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, The Jacksons, Teddy Pendergrast, Dee Dee Gamble, Dexter Wansel and countless more). That plus albums of obscurities, Philly flavoured jazz, 12??? mixes, and so very much more. Rare as hell, I got it (he says gloatingly) for virtually nothing at a sale in Auckland after having coveted it for close to a year. The holy grail of seventies soul???"Can find nothing on the net beyond this. Strangely missing from discogs.Sounds amazing, but I am told it's rare as hens teeth (a relative term, but still).Any would be appreciated. I think I need this in my life.