any freelance designers?

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
i've been asked by a friend to design her entire identity package: logo, business card, letterhead, envelopes, web splah page. i know there are a lot of design heads on this board. what do people normally charge for something like this or what's a typical hourly rate? i have no experience in freelancing, plus she's a good friend so i also want to give her a good deal. any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    depends how picky she is about the logo... $2k??

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    i've been asked by a friend to design her entire identity package: logo, business card, letterhead, envelopes, web splah page. i know there are a lot of design heads on this board. what do people normally charge for something like this or what's a typical hourly rate? i have no experience in freelancing, plus she's a good friend so i also want to give her a good deal. any info would be appreciated.

good friends and money dont mix. If she a really good friend, do it for free.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    depends how picky she is about the logo... $2k??

Prices for graphic design can be all over the freakin' map, and therefore difficult to gauge what is 'fair' without cheapening the profession (bad) or not being well-compensated for your work (really bad).
    The Graphic Artists Guild has a published guide for fair & ethical pricing, etc. It also explains how you should license your work and includes some handy template contracts for covering your [designer] ass. Even if your client is a friend, make sure both of your interests are fully acknowledged and protected.
    I think the book retails for $30.00. At the very least, skim through it at your local bookstore. Don't be put off by the bad cover illustration. Its a very enlightening, even necessary, read.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    My agency charges a minimum of ??750 per day for me to work on a project, depending on the client (Playstation got hit for ??1100!)... but I'd agree with the above: good friends and money is a difficult one.

'Mate's rates' would probably be a set figure of some kind. For a full identity package, maybe a G or so, depending on how much she has to spend?

Is there a favour in kind (not *that* kind...) that she could hook you up with in return?
    That one seems to be a good call if you feel awkward about the money thing.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

Absolutely no fucking way.
    I have a friend who's a urologist. But I wouldn't think of asking him to look at a cup of my piss for free.

If money is really an issue between friends, at the very least set up some sort of barter. Trade skillz for skillz or product or whatever.
    Good design is subjective, but it should never come for free.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

I have a friend who's a urologist. But I wouldn't think of asking him to look at a cup of my piss for free.

If money is really an issue between friends, at the very least set up some sort of barter. Trade skillz for skillz or product or whatever.

My urologist friend checks my piss for free.
    No ayo.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

My urologist friend checks my piss for free.
    No ayo.

Surely you can do better than that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yeah, if she is a close friend, do it for free, or do it for something other than actual dollars, that shit is no good, she might be expecting one thing and you may be expecting something else.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    yeah, if she is a close friend, do it for free, or do it for something other than actual dollars, that shit is no good, she might be expecting one thing and you may be expecting something else.

With a trade, make sure both of your expectations are very clear from the get-go. "I'll design for you A + B + C by this date; then you [build/sew/bake/fabricate/provide services X + Y + Z] by that date.
    It may sound too formal between friends, but do it before you wind up feeling like you did too much work for not enough return.
    Be a nice guy, but don't be a chump.