That dude Ralph Ellison from 1958

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
The jazz artist who becomes nationally known is written about as though he came into existence only upon his arrival in New York. His career in the big cities, where jazz is more of a commercial entertainment than part of a total way of life, is stressed at the expense of his life in the South, the Southwest, and the Midwest, where most Negro musicians at least found their early development. Thus we are left with an impression of mysterious rootlessness, and the true and often annoying complexity of American cultural experience is oversimplified.

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    That dude was reeeeeeeeally smart.

I learned more from Invisible Man than from any other book; that was the one that made me study literature.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The reason why I posted the quote is that it speaks to both the way that modern collectors/musicologists tend to treat past regional musical scenes based upon their own detatched standards as well as the way that regional hip-hop is treated with an over-emphasis on its club-oriented abilities.

And yeah, I've been planning to re-read Invisible Man. It's been over a decade since I tackled it the first time and I'm ready to revisit it with a new perspective.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    The reason why I posted the quote is that it speaks to both the way that modern collectors/musicologists tend to treat past regional musical scenes based upon their own detatched standards as well as the way that regional hip-hop is treated with an over-emphasis on its club-oriented abilities.

And yeah, I've been planning to re-read Invisible Man. It's been over a decade since I tackled it the first time and I'm ready to revisit it with a new perspective.

Yeah, that was how I read it; past predispositions on jazz are still aplicable to current hip hop. The cycle repeats.