stupid shit people in record stores say

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Yesterday dude in his 20s comes in, looks at LPs for about a half hour...meandering between rcok and jazz racks. Comes up to me and asks if we "had any shellac". I said maybe, it would be in the alternative/indie section under "S". He says "ok" and goes over there. While he is looking I remember we bought some Shellac 7"s off a dude last week and they hadnt been put out yet, so I go find them, price them and go up to him and say "here these just came in" and hand them to him. He looks at them for a good 20 seconds or so and says "no man, I dont think you understand me, I mean really old records" Wouldnt he have known I didnt understand his question when I sent him to the "S" bin? I just pointed him to the 78s.Weirdos.

Comments

• Yesterday dude in his 20s comes in, looks at LPs for about a half hour...meandering between rcok and jazz racks. Comes up to me and asks if we "had any shellac". I said maybe, it would be in the alternative/indie section under "S". He says "ok" and goes over there. While he is looking I remember we bought some Shellac 7"s off a dude last week and they hadnt been put out yet, so I go find them, price them and go up to him and say "here these just came in" and hand them to him. He looks at them for a good 20 seconds or so and says "no man, I dont think you understand me, I mean really old records"

Wouldnt he have known I didnt understand his question when I sent him to the "S" bin?

I just pointed him to the 78s.

Weirdos.

reeee-tahd. He sounds like one of the guys at the party in Ghost World.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    My friendly local record exchange counter rat told me last week that if I wanted to know what the record sounded like I should read the sleevenotes on the back. Great advice, fuckwit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "Are you a strutter?"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "why is that record worth $100?"
    "do you have _____?" "yes" "oh, do you have __--__?" "yeh we have that too" walks out doesn't buy anything.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    do you have the beatles LP with the butcher cover???

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    "why is that record worth $100?"
    "do you have _____?" "yes" "oh, do you have __--__?" "yeh we have that too" walks out doesn't buy anything.

"I just wanted to see if YOU had it"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    everything.

record stores are a place to shut the fuck up.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    everything.

Yes.

A "non-stupid shit people in record stores say" thread would have been over by now.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Agreed.

The worst is when someone says " Whatcha got there?''
    All the while standing next to you, shadowing you, huffing and puffing like an evil conscious. Trailing you to see when your going to put something back.

Or better yet, when the sales clerk attempts to ridden you with guilt by saying:

'' What the hell? Who priced this!? Goddammit, Your getting a good deal here" or " Looks like you found a lot of good stuff today huh?''

This one chain store up here is notorious for being inconsistant. It is not uncommon to find two of the same shitty 2 dollar records with a 5-10 dollar price difference in the new arrivals. I guess its because they so many people working there and my guess is they dont know or dont care. But when you get the dude at the counter who does care, your going to hear about it.

It certainly isnt limited to fellow diggers and collectors, some of the stupidest shit said comes from the mafioso's behind the counter. For the most part I think that is the bigger stores who tend to have a high turnover. But you cant escape it no matter what.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    everything.

are you kidding? conversations with the customers are what make a record store bearable.

I loved the intimidation factor, that scene from High Fidelity where the guy comes in looking for "I Just Called To Say I Love You" represented my favorite type of customer, the one that presumes that you are there simply to insult him.

This site has that same presumed snide record shop attitude; I'd say soulstrut is made up of a mix of current/former record store employees and those that secretly dream of being one.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    on cell phone: "YO I'M IN THE RECORD STORE, DUKE"
    (pause)
    "YO I'M IN THE RECORD STORE, DUKE"
    (pause)
    repeat ad nauseum.

with headphones on: "I'MMA FLIP THIS JOINT!"

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I'd say soulstrut is made up of a mix of current/former record store employees and those that secretly dream of being one.

I can see people sweating it if they're in high school/undergrad, actually want to own/run a shop, or whatever. Otherwise, my kneejerk response is that I'd hope people's secret dreams amount to more than aspiring to be a retail employee.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

graemlin needed

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

YO THAT WAS ME ME AND MY BOY WAS IN THE STORE AND FOUND SOME MOODY LOOPS WIH HELLA BREAKS YO.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I found this for $1.

b/w

I got this on ebay for $7

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    My favorite shit was always the late-pass dudes talking all loud about something that's either common knowledge or been out for a minute like it's the hot new shit and they discovered it. If you're a little dude, try to realize it and keep your voice down.

either that or the dude's calling up the hip-hop department (me) and asking "what you got in new?"

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    My favorite shit was always the late-pass dudes talking all loud about something that's either common knowledge or been out for a minute like it's the hot new shit and they discovered it. If you're a little dude, try to realize it and keep your voice down.

either that or the dude's calling up the hip-hop department (me) and asking "what you got in new?"

this post kinda baffles me on both counts:

no one knows every record in every genre, and there is nothing wrong with getting excited about common records in a genre in which you don't have deep knowledge. that's just appreciating good music. little dudes shouldn't talk? how are they gonna learn without talking about records with people?

also, what's wrong with asking someone what records they got in recently?

you sound like the stereotype of the bitter record store employee/owner with that post

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    About 15 years ago I was in a local store that is notorious for being way over-priced when this sweet old lady came up to the counter with a Prez Prado LP that was marked $50.00.

She very timidly said to the owner. "Sir I'd like to buy this record but could you explain to me why it's 50 dollars"??

Without hesitation the owner very politely said... "Ma'am, the LP is one dollar, but there's a $49.00 finders fee because you won't find it anywhere else in town"!!!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    you sound like the stereotype of the bitter record store employee/owner with that post

You took the words right out of my mouth.

this post kinda baffles me on both counts:

no one knows every record in every genre, and there is nothing wrong with getting excited about common records in a genre in which you don't have deep knowledge. that's just appreciating good music. little dudes shouldn't talk? how are they gonna learn without talking about records with people?

i know everyone doesn't know everything, but there's no reason to be shouting it loudly across the store over the record that's playing (loudly) on the soundsystem. I'm all for getting one's learn on, especially by talking to employees, but that process can take place by using inside voices.

as for asking what is in that's new? It's annoying. There is a ton of new records, but I don't have the time to list them all. You could be specific, like "you got that new Young Jeezy?" That's OK. But after the tenth or so time i had to run down the hit parade over the phone it got a little tiresome. Have you ever worked at a record store?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

because it's rarely two or three records, more like 30 - 100 depending on the week. and in my experience, these calls usually happen on saturdays, the busiest day. so, calling up a store and asking them to list off what's new is pretty annoying. if you want to know if specifc things have come in, that's one thing...but "what's new?" is another.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

because it's rarely two or three records, more like 30 - 100 depending on the week. and in my experience, these calls usually happen on saturdays, the busiest day. so, calling up a store and asking them to list off what's new is pretty annoying. if you want to know if specifc things have come in, that's one thing...but "what's new?" is another.

Yeah I have to concur. Folks who have been to my shop know I try to be as nice as possible... to a fault even. but one thing that kills me is the dudes who call in, every few days... "you got in some new stuff?"

No, I haven't bought a single record in MONTHS.

I mean, like most record stores, I put out new arrivals every day. I shift them into the bins after five or six days.

The same way I don't announce every time I buy some shit over the weekend (I mean hell, it's my job...) I don't send out a mass mailing like, "restocked on Taana Gardner! Two new Jackie Wilson LPs!" "just bought a collection of common disco titles in VG+ condition! $5 12"s for days!!!"

It is easier when the person is specific. "Any new psych or folk?" "Any big disco rap pieces?" "Any west indian stuff?" "drum breaks?" Usually that is manageable.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I used to work at Tower Records/Video in the early 90s. Fools would come into the video store and see the laserdisc section. Then they would ask "Are these all movie soundtrack records?" LOL. That always made me laugh.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sometimes customers think Clerks are the Steven Hawking's of their field...

Back in college I worked at the NYC Port Authority "Bus Terminal Book Barn" store that sold mostly paperbacks to commuters.

Not a day went by when a customer didn't come up to me with a book and ask me if it was good, as if I had read every book in the store.

I asked the owner how to handle this and he gave me a great answer....he said "Just tell them that it's better than the author's last book".

This worked GREAT and sold a lot of books.

But one day I gave that answer and the customer shoved the book in my face and said "The back of the book says it's his first effort, that's why I'm asking".

With egg on my face I said the only thing I could think of....."Well then it's better than his next one's gonna be"!!

• andyhoopsandyhoops 154 Posts
    the store i work at is right between two homeless shelters. we get the most wacked out people here. dudes coming in and listening to mobb deep then yelling at me that they own the block then two seconds later they're saying thanks in the nicest voice to me.

we just had a kid in here listening to jedi mind trick yelling shit over the headphones that he had on BLAST and pretending to shoot shit with his hand.

i cant wait for the day i get to use the bat () behind the counter.

i always try to be nice when talking to people and all that. its all a learning process for me too. ive got the hunger.

I used to work at Tower Records/Video in the early 90s. Fools would come into the video store and see the laserdisc section. Then they would ask "Are these all movie soundtrack records?" LOL. That always made me laugh.

oh shit, there's been a bunch of times i've been aimlessly going through a bin of "soundtracks" and i'm halfway through before i realize they're laser discs. i try to play it off and casually drift away to another section.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    my local dealer alwas complains about the records i pick. but when i ask him if he could recommend a record he usually says: "no! you won't like any of the records i got"

i asked another dealer for a plastic bag... him: "no no no, not for those records. get out of here!"

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Yeah I have to concur. Folks who have been to my shop know I try to be as nice as possible... to a fault even. but one thing that kills me is the dudes who call in, every few days... "you got in some new stuff?"

I mean, like most record stores, I put out new arrivals every day. I shift them into the bins after five or six days.

The same way I don't announce every time I buy some shit over the weekend (I mean hell, it's my job...) I don't send out a mass mailing like, "restocked on Taana Gardner! Two new Jackie Wilson LPs!" "just bought a collection of common disco titles in VG+ condition! $5 12"s for days!!!"

It is easier when the person is specific. "Any new psych or folk?" "Any big disco rap pieces?" "Any west indian stuff?" "drum breaks?" Usually that is manageable.

I agree with this completely. If someone just asked "what new records do you have?" that's an impossibly broad request. but it doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me to ask what new hip hop has arrived, when you can in turn ask them other questions like "underground or commercial?" etc. and narrow it down. or alternately, if 30-100 hip hop records have come in (which seems like a lot for new releases to me, but i've never worked at a shop), just name a few from the last order that arrived and be done with it.

anyway, i've spent more time making this post than I actually care about this to begin with, and I would never ask that to begin with. dude's pet peeves just sounded awfully familiar to me

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    none of this stuff really bothers me, except for the the know-it-all who will talk at you, instead of talk to you, about records. please, get your OCD under control.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I agree with this completely. If someone just asked "what new records do you have?" that's an impossibly broad request. but it doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me to ask what new hip hop has arrived, when you can in turn ask them other questions like "underground or commercial?" etc. and narrow it down. or alternately, if 30-100 hip hop records have come in (which seems like a lot for new releases to me, but i've never worked at a shop)

yes, that would be quite a week!...i was talking more than rap