A MESSAGE FROM THE NEXT CHILD PRODIGY DIGGER

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
The Next A-Ko?Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:47 PMSubject: Anywhere to Find Vinyl in New Bedford, MA? THIS MUST BE READ!!!!!!!For some reason, I can't post on the forum, so I need to send this in email form.I'm the newest, @ 15 probably the youngest, member of the Soul Strut forum, though I've been visiting Soul Strut since last year. While kids my age listen to their favorite mainstream hip hop (Yung Joc, Chamillionaire, T.I., Lil' Jon, etc.), I actually prefer your kind of music (rare funk, soul, latin, breaks, etc.) over that. For some reason, catchy-sounding soul music catches my ear, which is unusual for someone my age these days. My favorite is either fast-paced funk/big-band b-boy breaks or dreamy soul with a moody feel to it. Until I found Soul Strut, I had nowhere to listen to my favorite music. I wanna find more b-boy music, but when I search for it, all I get is this crappy techno/house/electro/trance that I don't wanna hear. I want my 70s fast-paced rare music. Though I'm appreciative of the available audio both here and on ebay.com, I want more of it.You all are probably gonna tell me, right off the bat, to visit a local flea market and head for their vinyl section. Well I did this Sunday. I went to one not too far from my house for the first time, and damn was that a rip-off. I didn't find any funk or soul. All there was were whites' music, 50s pop, big names of the times, holiday albums. I saw alot of names I didn't know but was afraid to purchase, because what if it ain't funk? What if it ain't that 70s dreamy moody music or b-boy breaks I like? Y'all feel where I'm coming from? So does anyone know where I can find rare funk vinyl in my area, New Bedford, Mass., or surrounding the area. My family is strapped on cash, so I can't purchase online because ma won't let me use a credit card. I don't know what better way to put this, but I really want to listen to my favorite music. I'm begging for at least 1 person to reply to this with some good information, maybe some freebies.Ethan

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    While kids my age listen to their favorite mainstream hip hop (Yung Joc, Chamillionaire, T.I., Lil' Jon, etc.) I actually prefer your kind of music (rare funk, soul, latin, breaks, etc.) over that.

He really is in for a surprise when he starts posting here, isn't he.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's actually a record store in New Bedford that is supposed to
    be pretty good ... I've never been and can't remember the name,
    but an old friend of mine used to drive down there from Boston
    just to dig sometimes (and hang out with some girl) and swore by it.

Anybody know what it's called/if it's still there?

All there was were whites' music

NOT AT ALL A FOLK BALLER

I want my 70s fast-paced rare music

• Lil Man should go and try to get into Skippy White's Basement.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    Lil Man should go and try to get into Skippy White's Basement.

skippy whites is over..

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    The Next A-Ko?

Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:47 PM
    Subject: Anywhere to Find Vinyl in New Bedford, MA? THIS MUST BE READ!!!!!!!

For some reason, I can't post on the forum, so I need to send this in email form.

I'm the newest, @ 15 probably the youngest, member of the Soul Strut forum, though I've been visiting Soul Strut since last year. While kids my age listen to their favorite mainstream hip hop (Yung Joc, Chamillionaire, T.I., Lil' Jon, etc.), I actually prefer your kind of music (rare funk, soul, latin, breaks, etc.) over that. For some reason, catchy-sounding soul music catches my ear, which is unusual for someone my age these days. My favorite is either fast-paced funk/big-band b-boy breaks or dreamy soul with a moody feel to it. Until I found Soul Strut, I had nowhere to listen to my favorite music. I wanna find more b-boy music, but when I search for it, all I get is this crappy techno/house/electro/trance that I don't wanna hear. I want my 70s fast-paced rare music. Though I'm appreciative of the available audio both here and on ebay.com, I want more of it.

You all are probably gonna tell me, right off the bat, to visit a local flea market and head for their vinyl section. Well I did this Sunday. I went to one not too far from my house for the first time, and damn was that a rip-off. I didn't find any funk or soul. All there was were whites' music, 50s pop, big names of the times, holiday albums. I saw alot of names I didn't know but was afraid to purchase, because what if it ain't funk? What if it ain't that 70s dreamy moody music or b-boy breaks I like? Y'all feel where I'm coming from? So does anyone know where I can find rare funk vinyl in my area, New Bedford, Mass., or surrounding the area. My family is strapped on cash, so I can't purchase online because ma won't let me use a credit card. I don't know what better way to put this, but I really want to listen to my favorite music. I'm begging for at least 1 person to reply to this with some good information, maybe some freebies.

Ethan

The internet makes shit too easy for these young douds. Go out and buy some crappy records until you find good stuff. That's how it works. Open the phonebook, use google, etc. If you don't have money, get a job or sell drugs like I did when I was your age. I know this sounds like dickhead shit, but the best things in life are the things you have to work for. Shit sounds kinda spoiled and lazy.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

The internet makes shit too easy for these young douds. Go out and buy some crappy records until you find good stuff. That's how it works. Open the phonebook, use google, etc. If you don't have money, get a job or sell drugs like I did when I was your age. I know this sounds like dickhead shit, but the best things in life are the things you have to work for. Shit sounds kinda spoiled and lazy.

Wow, way to trample all over his hopes of finding "dreamy soul with a moody feel to it."

And I can't believe you called him spoiled. After all, "ma won't let me use the credit card."

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Wow, way to trample all over his hopes of finding "dreamy soul with a moody feel to it."

And I can't believe you called him spoiled. After all, "ma won't let me use the credit card."

Lol. ?

Lol. ?

Well it's certainly not Reynaldo.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

I grew up near New Bedford, MA. There are no records in New Bedford. Try Fairhaven or Fall River or Attleboro or Mattapoisett or Somerset.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The Next A-Ko?

For some reason, I can't post on the forum, so I need to send this in email form.

I'm the newest, @ 15 probably the youngest, member of the Soul Strut forum, though I've been visiting Soul Strut since last year. While kids my age listen to their favorite mainstream hip hop (Yung Joc, Chamillionaire, T.I., Lil' Jon, etc.), I actually prefer your kind of music (rare funk, soul, latin, breaks, etc.) over that. For some reason, catchy-sounding soul music catches my ear, which is unusual for someone my age these days. My favorite is either fast-paced funk/big-band b-boy breaks or dreamy soul with a moody feel to it. Until I found Soul Strut, I had nowhere to listen to my favorite music. I wanna find more b-boy music, but when I search for it, all I get is this crappy techno/house/electro/trance that I don't wanna hear. I want my 70s fast-paced rare music. Though I'm appreciative of the available audio both here and on ebay.com, I want more of it.

You all are probably gonna tell me, right off the bat, to visit a local flea market and head for their vinyl section. Well I did this Sunday. I went to one not too far from my house for the first time, and damn was that a rip-off. I didn't find any funk or soul. All there was were whites' music, 50s pop, big names of the times, holiday albums. I saw alot of names I didn't know but was afraid to purchase, because what if it ain't funk? What if it ain't that 70s dreamy moody music or b-boy breaks I like? Y'all feel where I'm coming from? So does anyone know where I can find rare funk vinyl in my area, New Bedford, Mass., or surrounding the area. My family is strapped on cash, so I can't purchase online because ma won't let me use a credit card. I don't know what better way to put this, but I really want to listen to my favorite music. I'm begging for at least 1 person to reply to this with some good information, maybe some freebies.

Ethan

i call bulshit

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Next A-Ko?

Ethan

i call bulshit

Marcofunk fishing for pointers??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    His punctuation and grammar are a little too on point and this was a dead giveaway:

I saw alot of names I didn't know but was afraid to purchase, because what if it ain't funk? What if it ain't that 70s dreamy moody music or b-boy breaks I like?

PM in

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

I live near New Bedford, MA. There are no records in New Bedford or Fairhaven or Fall River or Attleboro or Mattapoisett or Somerset.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    The Next A-Ko?

Ethan

i call bulshit

if this is in fact, bullshit, i must also call BRILLIANT!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

I live near New Bedford, MA. There are no records in New Bedford or Fairhaven or Fall River or Attleboro or Mattapoisett or Somerset.

awwww, don't crush the fella's hopes. he may still find the undiscovered motherlode of 70s fast-paced rare music in the home of an unsuspecting Little Compton (no Crenshaw) resident....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    i hate profiling...but this 14 + 1 kid has some decent writing skills for his age, i know i didn't then.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dang guys... I thought it was kinda sweet!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    My favorite is either fast-paced funk/big-band b-boy breaks or dreamy soul with a moody feel to it.

BEATDAWG.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    YR FAV WILL B EITHER THA STOMPIN FUNKY BIGBAND BBOY BRAEKZ
    OR SUPERDARK PRODUCERS DREAM SOUL STABZ W/MOODY LOOPS DJ CATS NEED THIS

BEATDAWG.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I agree that young Ethan should get involved in the drug game.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    To young cat (potential hoax nonwithstanding):

1. Buy a portable record player. This will save you time and money, regardless of D battery expense.
    2. Don't let anyone tell you what you should like.

2.1: You should like Sam Cooke. No, really: Sam Cooke.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sell drugs like I did when I was your age.
    Always good advice.

Kid the thing about record stores and flea markets is 99% of the records suck or are too expensive. That is why you have to go 5 am every Saturday for at least a year before you start catching the good Marvin Gaye and Brick records.

PS: Forget the credit card, we accept checks and money orders.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I know Vice-style amorality is the hottest thing around, but I'm really sick of kids jocking heroic crack dealers like it's Making It 2006. Get the fuck out of here with that.

General statement not necessarily pointed at anyone here. Had to get this out.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Le-Toupt's English has improved dramatically since moving to the States. DJ Leacy R.I.P.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    To young cat (potential hoax nonwithstanding):

1. Buy a portable record player. This will save you time and money, regardless of D battery expense.
    2. Don't let anyone tell you what you should like.

2.1: You should like Sam Cooke. No, really: Sam Cooke.

Ha ha, yeah what Luck said. And sometimes the big names made the best music. Rare doesn't always equal good. Unless I'm selling it, that is.

• Le-Toupt's English has improved dramatically since moving to the States.

he finally did?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    For some reason, I can't post on the forum...

the reason is (24.163.69.241) appears.