Records vs. decent standard of living

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Too many records collecting dust and taking way too much space in my house. I just boxed and stored these and I'm starting to feel GOOD! At least 1500 more records are going to go soon. I don't want to sell, I just want these out of my sight.Anyone else have the same "problem"?Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Buhaina Prestige LP Arvo Turtiainen Min?? paljasjalkainen ja muita Helsinki-runoja Otava LP Awakening, The Mirage Black Jazz LP Baby Cortez The Isley Brothers Way T-Neck LP Ben Sidran Feel Your Groove Capitol LP Bill Cosby Hooray For The Salvation Army Band WB LP Billy Harper Capra Black Strata-East LP Billy Robinson s/t Radio Canada LP Bob James Two CTI LP Bobbi Humphrey Satin Doll Blue Note LP Bobby Forrester Organist Dobre LP Bobby Pierce New York Muse LP Bola Sete Workin' On A Groovy Thing Paramount LP Brother Jack McDuff & David Newman Double Barrelled Soul Atlantic LP Buddy Montgomery Ties Bean LP Cal Tjader Soul Sauce Verve LP Calvin Keys Proceed With Caution Black Jazz LP Cannonball Adderley Soul Of The Bible Capitol 2LP Carl B. Stokes The Mayor And The People Flying Dutchman LP Ceasar Frazier 75 Westbound LP Cecil McBee Mutima Strata-East LP Charles Wright Express Yourself WB LP Chico Hamilton Chic Chic Chico Impulse LP Chuck Flores Flores Azules Dobre LP Claude Ciari Guitare Et Musiques De Films EMI Path?? LP FraCleveland Eaton Plenty Good Eaton Black Jazz LP Cymande Second Time Around Janus LP David Axelrod Strange Ladies MCA LP David Matthews Grand Cross GNP Crescendo LP Dennis Coffey Electric Coffey Sussex LP Dennis Coffey Instant Coffey Sussex LP Dennis Coffey Goin' For Myself Sussex LP Deodato Prelude CTI LP Dick Hyman The Electric Eclectics Of Dick Hyman Command LP Don Cherry Hear & Now Atlantic LP Doug Carn Revelation Black Jazz LP Earth, Wind & Fire Another Time WB 2LP Eddie Russ See The Light Monument LP Eldridge Cleaver Soul On Wax More Record LP Electro Harmonix Work Band State-Of-The-Art Electronic Devices Electro-Harmonix LP Elliott Fisher In The Land Of Make Believe Dobre LP Frank Cunimondo Trio, The Top Shelf Collection Sound Idea LP Frank Strazzeri After The Rain Catalyst LP Freddie Hubbard Red Clay CTI LP Funk Factory s/t Atco LP Gabor Szabo Spellbinder Impulse LP Gary Bartz Ntu Troop I've Known Rivers And Other Bodies Prestige 2LP George Cables Why Whynot LP JapanGeorge Muribus Brazilian Tapestry Catalyst LP Gil Evans Svengali Atlantic LP Grootna s/t Columbia LP Groove Holmes Onsaya Joy Flying Dutchman LP Harold Wheeler Consort, The Black Cream RCA LP Headhunters, The Straight From The Gate Arista LP Henry Franklin The Skipper Black Jazz LP Herbie Hancock Flood CBS/Sony 2LP JapanHerbie Hancock Crossings WB LP Herbie Hancock Directstep CBS/Sony 2LP JapanHerbie Hancock Head Hunters Columbia LP Herbie Hancock Treasure Chest WB LP Iceberg Slim Reflections ALA LP Idris Muhammad Turn This Mutha Out Kudu LP Isaac "Redd" Holt Unlimited Isaac, Isaac, Isaac Paula LP Jack McDuff The Fourth Dimension Cadet LP James Moody The Teachers Perception LP Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg Je T'aime Fontana LP USJayne Cortez / Richard Davis Celebrations And Solitudes Strata-East LP Jazz Contemporaries Reasons In Tonality Strata-East LP Joe Farrell Canned Funk CTI LP Joe Farrell Upon This Rock CTI LP Joe Thomas Ebony Godfather Today LP Joey Jefferson Band, The s/t Mutt & Jeff LP Johnny Dankworth And His Orchestra Movies 'N' Me RCA LP Johnny Pate Outrageous MGM LP Kenny Dorham West 42nd Street Polydor LP GerKip Hanrahan Coup de T??te American Clav?? LP Kool & The Gang Light Of The World De-Lite LP Kool & The Gang Spirit Of The Boogie De-Lite LP Kwame Nkrumah The Ninth Son Columbia LP L.D. Levy The Eagle And The King Corvo LP LaMont Johnson Nine Masterscores LP Leon Thomas The Leon Thomas Album Flying Dutchman LP Leon Thomas Full Circle Flying Dutchman LP Lonnie Liston Smith Cosmic Funk Flying Dutchman LP Lonnie Liston Smith Reflections Of A Golden Dream Flying Dutchman LP Lonnie Smith Think! Blue Note LP Lonnie Smith Drives Blue Note LP Lou Donaldson Mr. Shing-A-Ling Blue Note LP Louis Hayes Group, The Variety Is The Spice Gryphon LP Lowell Fulsom Tramp United Superior LP Lyman Woodard Organisation Don't Stop The Groove Corridor LP Made In Brasil Tudo Joia Pausa LP Mandrill Mandrilland Polydor 2LP Manu Dibango Soul Makossa Atlantic LP Martin Denny Forbidden Island Liberty LP Marva Josie This Is Marva Josie Thimble LP Masekela I Am Not Afraid Blue Thumb LP McCoy Tyner Asanti Blue Note LP Melvin Sparks 75 Westbound LP Miles Davis Live Evil CBS 2LP UKMiles Davis Agharta Columbia 2LP New York Art Quartet / LeRoi Jones s/t ESP-Disk/Fontana LP UKNite-Liters, The A-Nal-Y-Sis RCA LP O'Donel Levy Dawn Of A New Day Groove Merchant LP O'Donel Levy Simba Groove Merchant LP O'Donel Levy Breeding Of Mind Groove Merchant LP Olympic Runners Out In Front London LP Oneness Of Juju Bush Brothers & Space Rangers Black Fire LP Paul Jackson Black Octopus East World LP JapanPharoah Sanders Journey To The One Theresa 2LP GerPharoah Sanders Village Of The Pharoahs Impulse LP Phil Ranelin The Time Is Now! Tribe LP Preston Love Omaha Bar-B-Q United Superior LP Ray Rodriguez & His Orchestra Delusion Alegre LP Roy Ayers Ubiquity Red, Black & Green Polydor LP Roy Ayers Ubiquity Change Up The Groove Polydor LP Roy Ayers Ubiquity A Tear To A Smile Polydor LP Roy Ayers Ubiquity Mystic Voyage Polydor LP Roy Brooks The Free Slave Muse LP Rudolph Johnson The Second Coming Black Jazz LP Rufus Harley Scotch & Soul Atlantic LP Rufus Harley Bagpipe Blues Atlantic LP Rusty Bryant Wild Fire Prestige LP Sathima Bea Benjamin Memories And Dreams Ekapa LP Seawind s/t CTI LP Sivuca s/t Vanguard LP Sonny Stitt & Paul Gonsalves Salt And Pepper Impulse LP Soul Searchers, The We The People Sussex LP Stanley Turrentine Sugar CTI LP Stanton Davis' Ghetto/Mysticism Brighter Days Outrageous #2 LP Tangerine Dream Rubycon Virgin LP UKTom Scott & The LA Express s/t Ode LP Touch Energizer Brunswick LP V/A Funky '69 Toddlin' Town LP V/A WMMR Breakout Chrysalis LP Willie Bobo And The Bo-Gents Do What You Want To Do Sussex LP Willie Henderson Dance With The Master Brunswick LP Winstons, The Color Him Father Metromedia LP Woody Shaw Love Dance Muse LP Young-Holt Unlimited Just A Melody Brunswick LP Yusef Lateef Psychicemotus Impulse LP Yusef Lateef 1984 Impulse LP Yusef Lateef In Nigeria Landmark LP Yusef Lateef Club Date ABC Impulse LP

Comments

• All I'll say is I wish my boxed-and-out-of-sight records were that good!

• could offer some storage space

• Yeah dude, seriously if you have these in a self-storage space make sure you keep up on your rent or they'll end up at the flea market!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dude are you kidding with that list.

That shit is like the meat of any (my) jazz collection. Damn.

What's the point of having the shit if you're not going to listen to it. Seriously.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    looks like a Dusty Groove sales pile to me!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

What's the point of having the shit if you're not going to listen to it. Seriously.

over the last year I've shrunk my collection by about 50% simply cause I realized I had a ton of records that I really didn't listen to and probably won't feel the need to listen to.

feels good to trim the fat, sometimes it feels good to trim the good stuff too. Money in your pocket is better than mold on the record you ain't going to be playing ever again.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I could store your Awakening and Eddie Russ if you want.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I left the stuff that I'm actually going to listen. Most of these are good records that I enjoy, yet I haven't listened to many of them in a looong time. And I only have so much space.

Next: hiphop 12's. Then: euro stuff.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I hear ya man... I'm at a point now where all my 7's (as in 7 out of 10) are just sitting around collecting dust and taking up space. They're still good records that I don't really want to sell, but probably should to make space and make money to buy more 8's and up.

• I hear ya man... I'm at a point now where all my 7's (as in 7 out of 10) are just sitting around collecting dust and taking up space. They're still good records that I don't really want to sell, but probably should to make space and make money to buy more 8's and up.

more 10's anyone?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    more 10's anyone?

I gotta keep it realistic... I've been getting shot down by 10's for years now. 8's are more in my range

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had a very similar clean out last summer, and man, it felt good. you'll get some yaper too.

I did regret getting rid of some shit though. You can get a little rushed when cherry pickin. joints i'd reconsider...

Cannonball Adderley Soul Of The Bible Capitol 2LP
    David Axelrod
    Strange Ladies MCA LP
    Henry Franklin The Skipper Black Jazz LP
    Lonnie Smith Drives Blue Note LP
    Soul Searchers, The We The People Sussex LP

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    when i lived in DC in a little apt, i used to rotate shit in and out of storage.

i hate clutter.

now, i have planty of space and have all my record layed out in nice shelves, but still mostly isten to "new arrivals".

i just spent the past 2 hours looking for an expensive private psych record that i "put somewhere" so it wouldn't get warped and only made it through jazz A-M.

• are you looking to sell these?
    i would be interested in
    Cymande Second Time Around Janus LP
    Mandrill Mandrilland Polydor 2LP
    Charles Wright Express Yourself WB LP
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity Mystic Voyage Polydor LP

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    more 10's anyone?

I gotta keep it realistic... I've been getting shot down by 10's for years now. 8's are more in my range

Dude- i would put myself in the 5-6 range of attainable girls. Maybe I need to name myself after a fast car to add points

...or perhaps i could just get my DJ game on lock

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Risto don't you work at Lifesaver???? GET RID OF THAT SHIT!!!

I am constantly bringing a bunch of records down to my shop. I yapped about 3 boxes of soul and a box of jazz just in the last two days. I am hoping to get my collection down to a small - but tight - assortment of LPs and 45s that I am absolutely in love with.

There is a point at which you realize that you will see all of these records again, and if you ever want them they are there.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    exactly,
    sell that stuff off. those records may be alright to listen to, but they sure can be replaced.

if you own a record store those are good pieces to use as wage for digger kids who want to work for wax.

i'm sure you have rare records that you REALLY wouldn't want to part with, right? if you ever get rid of the medium stuff (or stuff you have a medium interest for) in your collection you may experience this feeling of weightlessness, not to mention growth. it takes a big man to walk away from the medium raer. i got rid of most of mine and i'm still living. i actually feel alot better without it.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

if you ever get rid of the medium stuff (or stuff you have a medium interest for) in your collection you may experience this feeling of weightlessness, not to mention growth. it takes a big man to walk away from the medium raer. i got rid of most of mine and i'm still living. i actually feel alot better without it.

Hmh, I think most of the records in my collection are medium raer, but at the moment I don't think I will ever sell them. These are records I bought when I started collecting funk & soul (like Bar-Kays, Con Funk Shun, Ohio Players, Cameo, Parliament ...) and I still love them. And I don't give a shit if a record isn't rear or super-rear as long as it is dope. But you'll never know, maybe I think about it different in 10 years, who knows. I recently thought about selling all of my hip hop stuff because my I ran out of space in my room. But fuck that, I rather buy another Expedit and put my wardrobe in another room...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That selection of records is pretty close to a lot of what's lurking in my cupboards. I like them all but just don't really listen to them. Last year I finally got rid of about 2000 records and was all set to do another 2000 this summer but can't quite bring myself to do it, so they'll go into storage instead. That's where the collector in me squares up to the music lover. Not totally compatible states of mind. If you think you've got record overload check Karlophone's set up.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I am hoping to get my collection down to a small - but tight - assortment of LPs and 45s that I am absolutely in love with.

Do you think what you are absolutely in love with may be different now than it is a few years down the road? Not defending keeping every nice record ever but the frustration of knowing you really want to hear and having to track it down again does not mingle nicely with that feeling of, "Oh i need that right now."

That's where the collector in me squares up to the music lover. Not totally compatible states of mind.

Seems to sum up this whole thing up pretty well.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    i never wanted tons of records at home, really!
    personally i prefer to have a small collection with the best sounds (for my personal taste of course) instead of digging through piles & piles of records...
    for the LPs i have one of these IKEA EXPEDIT (4x4) and a few more records laying around outside plus stuff for sale!
    i must add i'm not diggin records for beats/samples...
    anyway i love to see pics of rooms stuffed with records ;-)

I am hoping to get my collection down to a small - but tight - assortment of LPs and 45s that I am absolutely in love with.

Do you think what you are absolutely in love with may be different now than it is a few years down the road? Not defending keeping every nice record ever but the frustration of knowing you really want to hear and having to track it down again does not mingle nicely with that feeling of, "Oh i need that right now."

Of course. Four years ago I had to have every Funkadelic record. Now in those four years, I realize that I only really listen to four or five titles by them. Of course, if I ever get a hankering I can find those other titles again though, and that's the thing - there are some rare records in that list up top but nothing you couldn't find if you wanted. But my new thing is not wanting.

Most of these records that people post in their digs are not hard to find. Why do I need to hold onto (for instance) Eddie Drennon? Cool tunes. No doubt. I have heard "Do What You Gotta Do" fittylevenmillion times and it's still killer, but you know what? I've had that record five or six times this year and there's no reason for me to keep it in my personal collection if I'm not throwing it on the deck at home. I feel very strongly about that. Treat the collection less like a library and more like a museum. New, exciting shit.

If you don't pull a record out for a year, get rid of it. I am moving. I am tired of lugging this shit around.

• are you looking to sell these?Roy Ayers Ubiquity Mystic Voyage Polydor LP

Gee... Do you really have to solicit some guy on an internet site who says he does not want to sell his records to find a copy of this?

That's not exactly .

I will one up this dude. When you see the records i am going to SELL from my personal collection next fall you will have a spasmatic butt flutter. I'm not talking art and wine cold storage, I'm talking bye bye.

I have the room for them but I am 37 and it is time for a major overhaul.

I personally do not want to have over 1000 to 1500 records and I dont need a lot of these records anymore. I don't listen to them, I don't identify with them and i don't need Coffy and Lord Shango in my life.

I sold Attica Blues and Andrew Hill Black Fire and it felt great. I just don't think those records are records I need to own. There are other examples of records that are like those that I actually would enjoy having and listening to.

Clearing? gone. Johnny Hammond Wild Horse Rock Steady? suspect. Barbarella OST? I don't need that shit no way. Rusty Bryant? I NEED me some Fire Eater but Friday Night Funk for Saturday Night Brothers? I'm not sure. Maybe all I need is Fire Eater.

Does this make any sense or do I sound Bananas.

anyone feeling the heavy purge and tighten up feeling?

• Does this make any sense or do I sound Bananas.

Coming from you it makes total sense.

• Eddie Drennon? Cool tunes. No doubt. I have heard "Do What You Gotta Do" fittylevenmillion times and it's still killer, but you know what? I've had that record five or six times this year and there's no reason for me to keep it in my personal collection if I'm not throwing it on the deck at home.

I have this record and this is EXACTLY the kind of record I am really wanting to sell.

If I can get $25 or $30 for this there are SO many records I would rather own than this.

I think I might sell Lowrell too.

The only thing is I do not think I can really trim my Avant Garde Experimental music collection or my Mono Classical collection yet. These are so interchangable and are not about tracks. Plus I am obsessing for more of this shit at the moment.

• Does this make any sense or do I sound Bananas.

I am not sure if this is an insult or an understanding that I have a lot of records I don't need or an acknowledgement of the fact that I am truly not into Blaxsploitation anymore. And honestly I do not think I will be into it again. I think it is safe to sell some of those records.

Does this make any sense or do I sound Bananas.

I am not sure if this is an insult or an understanding that I have a lot of records I don't need or an acknowledgement of the fact that I am truly not into Blaxsploitation anymore. And honestly I do not think I will be into it again. I think it is safe to sell some of those records.

Anthony I am actually really surprised you still own those. Some of those titles I dumped long ago!

I have Coffy on my wall right now. I have never owned a copy of that record but I've sold it a couple times. Why own Coffy when you can have He's Coming? I have sold all my blaxplo, except for the James Brown. I am thinking of selling some JBs records though. Cool Breeze I held onto for the longest because I love "the fight".... but you know what, it is a great song that I can enjoy on my ipod and I get that record every couple months. Mystical Voyage? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I don't understand people who just want to keep every record they ever get. Or people who grip and stress over records that are not rare. That is a disorder I think.

Records, to me, are for the most part temporal - some of them I hold on to for a bit, have fun, and reflect on happy memories of having had and loved them. Others never even make it to my house! Yet more will never leave my possession.

This is a very casual thing. Stressing over records is a bad look for 2006.

• I HAVE SOME LAME SHIT. I HAVE NOT PURGED SINCE 1995. I HAVE DOUBLE AND TRIPLE OF SHIT TOO. ITS TIME TO CUT THE CORD. NO GROOVE HOLMES RECORDS IN 2007.