my TTL review???

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.turntablelab.com/cds/167/573/13581.htmlThere's a lot of these popping up nowadays: mixtapes with really slap-worthy titles and/or concepts, but with totally flawless execution too. Dr. Delay (who's affiliated in some way with the SoulStrut forum, I'm told)[/b] must've dropped a little acid and then sipped a little syrup to make this one, blending dusty old psyche rock records with acapellas and instrumentals from current crunk and southern shit. Rattling off names wouldn't mean a whole lot, since most of the psyche shit on here is rarer than rare (excepting The Seeds, Paul Revere and a few others) but suffice it to say that this one sounds a lot better on the stereo than it looks on paper. The one that convinced me was the subtle blend of Rabekin's "Light Rain" with the instrumental from "What Happened To That Boy" ??? the swirling acoustic guitar (or sitar?) sounds even more hypnotic over the Neptunes' sputtering percussion. One thing, though: when you put the CD in iTunes, the tracklist comes up saying "If you bought a copy of Psycrunk, then there was a tracklist included on the cover. If you downloaded it, you lose the right to know what you're listening to." That's all well and good, but what if I bought it and just want to put it on my iPod? 30 tracks total; 60+ minutes.is this meant to stigmatize me?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    http://www.turntablelab.com/cds/167/573/13581.html

There's a lot of these popping up nowadays: mixtapes with really slap-worthy titles and/or concepts, but with totally flawless execution too. Dr. Delay (who's affiliated in some way with the SoulStrut forum, I'm told)[/b] must've dropped a little acid and then sipped a little syrup to make this one, blending dusty old psyche rock records with acapellas and instrumentals from current crunk and southern shit. Rattling off names wouldn't mean a whole lot, since most of the psyche shit on here is rarer than rare (excepting The Seeds, Paul Revere and a few others) but suffice it to say that this one sounds a lot better on the stereo than it looks on paper. The one that convinced me was the subtle blend of Rabekin's "Light Rain" with the instrumental from "What Happened To That Boy" ??? the swirling acoustic guitar (or sitar?) sounds even more hypnotic over the Neptunes' sputtering percussion. One thing, though: when you put the CD in iTunes, the tracklist comes up saying "If you bought a copy of Psycrunk, then there was a tracklist included on the cover. If you downloaded it, you lose the right to know what you're listening to." That's all well and good, but what if I bought it and just want to put it on my iPod? 30 tracks total; 60+ minutes.

is this meant to stigmatize me?

I saw the Morse Code one today and it had a similar comment.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    http://www.turntablelab.com/cds/167/573/13581.html

There's a lot of these popping up nowadays: mixtapes with really slap-worthy titles and/or concepts, but with totally flawless execution too. Dr. Delay (who's affiliated in some way with the SoulStrut forum, I'm told)[/b] must've dropped a little acid and then sipped a little syrup to make this one, blending dusty old psyche rock records with acapellas and instrumentals from current crunk and southern shit. Rattling off names wouldn't mean a whole lot, since most of the psyche shit on here is rarer than rare (excepting The Seeds, Paul Revere and a few others) but suffice it to say that this one sounds a lot better on the stereo than it looks on paper. The one that convinced me was the subtle blend of Rabekin's "Light Rain" with the instrumental from "What Happened To That Boy" ??? the swirling acoustic guitar (or sitar?) sounds even more hypnotic over the Neptunes' sputtering percussion. One thing, though: when you put the CD in iTunes, the tracklist comes up saying "If you bought a copy of Psycrunk, then there was a tracklist included on the cover. If you downloaded it, you lose the right to know what you're listening to." That's all well and good, but what if I bought it and just want to put it on my iPod? 30 tracks total; 60+ minutes.

is this meant to stigmatize me?

Another great review by the knowledgeable folks at Turntablelab.

this kind of crap writing helps me realize why regular fanboyz of the TTL reviews think bobbanister is all that and a bag of donkeys.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    this kind of crap writing helps me realize why regular fanboyz of the TTL reviews think bobbanister is all that and a bag of donkeys.

It's beginning to look like a proper Friday on the new server.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm really greatfull that they are selling my cds. my reason for bringing this up, was just to figure out whether this is a soulstrut big-up. Or weather it was something that they thought sounded "soulstrut". Either way...I'm not complaining.

Frank, relax your synapse. no reason to make this all negative.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I'm really greatfull that they are selling my cds.

yo tambien, pero:

hmmm....

"Well whaddayaknow ??? another gent from SoulStrut, another zany concept mixtape,[/b] again well-executed. Morse Code dropped his super mellow Fusion Batches mixtape earlier this year ??? well-received here at da Lab, and by DJ Jazzy Jeff! ??? and now he takes his game in a totally different direction, compiling almost 70 minutes of candy- and sweets-related tunes and skits. East coast, west coast, down south ??? it's all here, mixed with soul, R&B and of course songs from Willy Wonka. Artwork by Mike2600, who you may remember from his recent heated arguments about t-shirts on the Lab blog. 32 tracks; 68 minutes."

saul goode and everything, just... "is it meant to stigmatize me?" EXACTLY.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think TTL has ever shit on Soul Strut prior to our merry family shitting on the Lab first. I'm not saying Delay or MC deserve to catch flack for that but if there's some subtle "yeah, they're on that wanker forum but they make good mix-CDs" jabs being thrown, it should surprise no one.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Artwork by Mike2600, who you may remember from his recent heated arguments about t-shirts on the Lab blog.

my request to all, would be to to leave beefs at an individual level and not go around lumping us all together like we umdada or somthing. that goes for ttl and soulstrut.

negative? I'm the ombudsman.

but really. i don't get why the hate from TTL and WP? we own them.

It's beginning to look like a proper Friday on the new server.

yes. i was suffering over there at waxidermy yesterday with all that high minded shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Artwork by Mike2600, who you may remember from his recent heated arguments about t-shirts on the Lab blog.

my request to all, would be to to leave beefs at an individual level and not go around lumping us all together like we umdada or somthing. that goes for ttl and soulstrut.

Seriously--I'm not trying to get lumped in with these poptarts.

faux_rillz
    Hatter

Reged: 11/01/03
    Loc: "Soulstrut Legend"

Seriously.

faux_rillz
    Hatter

Reged: 11/01/03
    Loc: "Soulstrut Legend"

Seriously.

Fall back, Fancy Francey

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    TTL makes its living by selling cool over the internet; their customers want to read stuff like "recently beefing with Bob Bannister..." Also, gents, this is a (very) public forum, of course this is not directed at you Tom but most folks would do well to exercise some restraint... sometimes folls take this soulstrut shit to be their own private vent forum.

Beyond all that, for the amount of bullshit thrown TTL's way on this site, I'm not at all mad at them throwing a light jab here and there, particularly considering how many copies of my last CD they moved....

I'm having a nic fit and 80 minutes from a barleywine growler sitting at my house.

TTL makes its living by selling cool over the internet; their customers want to read stuff like "recently beefing with Bob Bannister..."

A sobering thought. Bad enough that SoulStrut dudes take beefs with one another seriously; worse that some 15 year old in Kansas who none of us has ever met would do so.

TTL makes its living by selling cool over the internet; their customers want to read stuff like "recently beefing with Bob Bannister..." Also, gents, this is a (very) public forum, of course this is not directed at you Tom but most folks would do well to exercise some restraint... sometimes folls take this soulstrut shit to be their own private vent forum.

Beyond all that, for the amount of bullshit thrown TTL's way on this site, I'm not at all mad at them throwing a light jab here and there, particularly considering how many copies of my last CD they moved....

The amount of anything "thrown" at TTL from here could barely fill a thimble.

I'm having a nic fit and 80 minutes from a barleywine growler sitting at my house.

barleywine growler, damn dude there goes the neighborhood.

I don't think I can make it. I've been typing incendiary posts and then deleting them, but I'm afraid I'm gonna slip on the continue button.

I don't think I can make it. I've been typing incendiary posts and then deleting them, but I'm afraid I'm gonna slip on the continue button.

Fuck it, its friday.

Yes, let's keep it real--Fatback was the real victim here.

I mean, honestly dude - you are the most outspoken poster with intense venom for TTL and a lot of folks on here could be mad at you because we all have business interests with them.

I mean, honestly dude - you are the most outspoken poster with intense venom for TTL and a lot of folks on here could be mad at you because we all have business interests with them.

You really got shit all wrong, slim. I spent a lot of money there. A lot! They provide great service and it's an excellent one stop place for DJs.

The reviews suck. Plain and simple. Argue otherwise. Wait, don't because you can't.

End of story, period, call me.

• whats the issue here?

TTL is still selling these items

There are posts here taking direct jabs at them

people who post here happen to now be namechecked as soulstrut posters in their reviews, its the price you pay for the attention/ promotion you get here.

as long as they offer your items I don't see the need to be self concious about what they say about the person.

A strutter on here once told me some advice about getting a bad review "Just don't take it to heart"

ok back to Frank going wild, I want more aggression and more stories about animal destruction

intense? peep my politic posts. there it is.

jonsy, you need a take in your venomator for recalibration.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I don't see why anyone would get mad at TTL for anything. Shit, sounds clips on almost everything, indiviual reviews which are honest, decent order processing, unique and interesting website, etc. When you compare that to sites like Sandbox who are known for their shitty customer service and shitty order processing you got to thank your lucky stars they're around.

I got my much love for the Lab.

Simon is a better writer than you.

Simon is a better writer than you.

agreed and pointless.

George Bush is a better dimplomat than both of us. So where were/are we?

more stories about animal destruction

you got me mixed up with someone else