Re: Salvation Army vs Goodwill

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going with Goodwill because:1) When each store gets records, they put them out at that store. SA sends them to a central distribution center and they get spread around. So if a good collection hits, you'll be driving all over town picking up the pieces.
I've heard that about Goodwill but never Salvo...Goodwill has gotten pretty rough around my area, and even when I used to actually find records there they weren't rare or in great shape or anything... I've heard multiple tales of collectors/dealers managing Goodwills (and, in fact, the last store I heard that about hasn't had a piece of vinyl in a couple years now) but nobody at SA ever cares about waxI got a massive stack of Latin records at Salvo today, including a minty Cosa Nostra 's/t'... and they're only 79 cents there, too

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I'm going with Goodwill because:

1) When each store gets records, they put them out at that store. SA sends them to a central distribution center and they get spread around. So if a good collection hits, you'll be driving all over town picking up the pieces.

2) Goodwill is open on Sunday.

3) Retards don't fuck with records, but those dope fiends will cut out some heat.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Salvi used to be awesome. I haven't bought a record in the one near me since 2003. I smell a conspiracy.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    SA sends them to a central distribution center and they get spread around.

Find your local distro center - some of them put them out there before sending them away.

I'll go with Goodwill too though.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ive never caught anything worthwhile at an SA, and i worked at one for 6 months...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Thrifts are so dead these days.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    In the ATX - Goodwill.

Don't know about Goodwill's in yall's NOTW but here are really expaning.. opening new stores.. remodeling. they are now owned by Target.. some sort of tax write off and a place to dump old merchandise. They are really growing which means more stuff. SA really sucks. Stagnant as hell. Goodwill also has some surprisingly funky music on their sound systems sometimes. Don't really find much at either though. Found Pretty Tony Fix it in the Mix and the Axel Foley Rap not long ago (can't remember who did it) and some sealed Disney records (because I like that singing bear from the Jungle Book).

So anyways - Goodwill. But indepedent churchy thrifts seem to have much more potential (St Vincent Depaul thrift, our lady of the worthless miracle thrift house, etc)

• KinoKino 17 Posts
    Definitely Goodwill for the aforementioned reasons although "the bins" have never recovered from the "get a ticket wait in line to even look at the box lots of stuff".

One exception to the rule is the Salvation Army As Is Store. Haven't been to one in years but stuff ends up appearing there that never sold in the far flung stores that you've never been to. Shit goes for cheap too.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    dont front on DAVE'S, disabled american veterans

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Junior League thrift stores are the worst EVAR.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    neither, local thrifts are always the best.

place here called Houseworks..the records are $2+ but i ALWAYS get good shit there...last time i went in i spent an hour just going through the records, constant stock change and TONS of shit...im talking 9 crates of 45s alone...

but, i guess ill answer correctly too

salvation army has treated me extremely well in the past, so has goodwill, i used to favor salvation army, but now i hate them...and goodwill never ever ever rotates their stock anymore, so...i guess im gonna still go with my neither answer, hahaha

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thrifts are so dead these days.

Don't tell Dakar

• The big name thrift stores out here in the East Bay are seriously decrepit when it comes to records. There's a couple small places that I occassionally come up at though

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ha---
    it has been a sort of dryspell at my local thrifts as of recent as far as pulkling major heat--but I am more prone to say Salvation Army beats out Goodwill.
    One reason may be because there are more Salvo's than Goodwill's in my area--but also because salvos are generally cheaper than Goodwill on records.
    Also, I don't know about the whole distribution thing that SA does--but having worked at one before and knowing the local ones pretty well--for the most part they don't get scattered about and go out at the same store.
    the only time this is true is when a massive collection comes in. then they get scattered about. but when people that dump off say the typical three or four boxes come through --they usually don't get scattered.

SA beats out Goodwill as well from a charity standpoint as there seems to be some

practices behind goodwill.

• KinoKino 17 Posts
    Goodwill's standard $2 pricetag on all lps truly blows.

?? the store in my hometown just LOWERED their prices back to 59 cents on all records...

• KinoKino 17 Posts

?? the store in my hometown just LOWERED their prices back to 59 cents on all records...

Power to the people. Maybe so few people bought the vinyl that they were forced to lower the price in an attempt to move the dead stock. That's a dream come true.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

SA beats out Goodwill as well from a charity standpoint as there seems to be some

practices behind goodwill.

I don't know about Goodwill, but I hate supporting SA. They are very anti-gay, and they hold a variety of other stances that I really don't care to contribute to. As for records, I do better at SA but I haven't found much at either in a long time.

Power to the people. Maybe so few people bought the vinyl that they were forced to lower the price in an attempt to move the dead stock. That's a dream come true.

i think thats it, and since they never rotate stock its pretty much not even worth going to anymore...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Goodwill down the street = 3 fo a dolla

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    dont front on DAVE'S, disabled american veterans

True, and Colorado heads know about the ARC, Association of/for(?) Retarded Citizens.

I used to get mad mixtape action in small Christian strip mall thrift stores. Bins of Memorex tapes w/ masking tape labels.