Marvin Gaye - Live in Montreux 1980

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
PBS just showed this last night here in Philly. I have to admit that I have taken his beautful voice for granted having grown up with it. Seeing him live total changed my perspective on how incredible of a singer this guy is.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Co-sign to infinity.

Love the way he combined that voice with great showman skills as well, he knew how to work the crowd as well as anyone.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Hey I did the synch licensing for this. It's from this DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000094...&v=glance&n=130

The Charles Mingus '75 one from the same series is very good too. The george clinton from '04 isn't.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    There will never be another Marvin Gaye. Stage presence to the next level.

Somebody already posted this in another thread. But I love it. The break down at around 3:50 is just so soul touching.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The way he plays with the vocal phrasing on his live versions is wonderful.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Incredible footage.

• nutriciousnutricious 118 Posts
    Hey I did the synch licensing for this. It's from this DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000094...&v=glance&n=130

a co-worker lent me this one a while back and it's great. you gotta love the hilarious phone skit in the beginning of "heard it through the grapevine"...

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    the crowds reaction on that live version of "distant lover" is one of the greatest moments in music.and i agree that hearing him more growing up than say a donny hathaway(on radio,tv etc) makes you overlook the fact that he realy was that great.

he was the definition of hard as fuck. hiding from motown for 2 years after tami terrells death.to go from "whats going on" to "let's get it on".and the whole story behind "here my dear" is as good as music imitating life gets.

peace,xavier

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Y'all should cop the DVD.