rep your local grocery experience

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
GalleriaTNTI love me some fobtastic supermarkets, I'm literally a kid in a candy store in these spots. Where else can I stock up on my vita, calpis, pocari sweat and mens pocky? My purchases today include some excellent banchan appetizers, spicy cuttlefish, roasted anchovies (those little buggers you eat w/ the heads on, YAM YAM). Also got my kalbi on, about to soak them babies in some marinade now. I know Chan will shout oot Uwajimaya and the LA folks will plug Mitsuwa & Nijiya. Let me know how you get down on your grocery/farmers market trips, preferrably w/ pics.ps: I've drank 3 yakults already.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    thank God for the Asian stores! i was in Kroger this afternnon looking for tofu and all they had was some lame silken shit for $4.00 way off hidden in the "natural foods" section.

But these Asian shops, along with the Halal butcher, are way the fuck out in the burbs. The big grocers in this area blow. I never thought I'd miss whole foods/trader joes so much.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the spot I was at today, Galleria, is a Korean joint. They have their own tofu machine, making fresh tofu in house. So next level.

I was mighty impressed.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Aser! Everything good in Toronto? As far as the grocery stores go,
    Uwajimaya is the spot. I am in there almost every day, sometimes a few times a day. Get my bubble tea here Honey Moon Tea and get lots of books and magazines here at Kinokuniya
    Here is a website for our whole hood: http://www.internationaldistrict.org/

We have lots of good Chinese and Vietnamese grocery shops, restaurants, cafes and delis.

We also have a huge Chinese Grocery store/mall by the airport called the Great Wall Shopping Mall

Other dope spots in Seattle are the world famous Pike Place Market and the Fremont Market is cool too.

Shout out to The Metropolitan Market in North Tacoma, WA and Boo Han Korean Market in Tacoma WA.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Can't forget Esquin! Esquin Wine Merchants is right down the street and is a very good wine shop. We buy lots of wine and Champagne there. I ran into Shawn Kemp at Esquin one New Year's Eve and that fool bought $600.00 worth of Cristal Champagne!

• Up in Montreal, Segal's on St. Laurent/Duluth has to be the spot for cheap quality groceries. Stash Chai tea for 2 bucks a pop, Vanilla Real Brew on the cheap, and it's where I get my weekly supply of hummus/pita. And the action at the register is priceless -
    Girl at express cash, 1/2 hr before close - "When can I get outta here?"
    Boss - "What, youse tired?"
    Girl - emits the most exasperated sigh in the universe, all the while checking through customers with a nonchalance unknown to the corporate supermarket.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    What up Aser! Everything good in Toronto? As far as the grocery stores go,
    Uwajimaya is the spot. I am in there almost every day, sometimes a few times a day. Get my bubble tea here Honey Moon Tea and get lots of books and magazines here at Kinokuniya
    Here is a website for our whole hood: http://www.internationaldistrict.org/

We have lots of good Chinese and Vietnamese grocery shops, restaurants, cafes and delis.

We also have a huge Chinese Grocery store/mall by the airport called the Great Wall Shopping Mall

Other dope spots in Seattle are the world famous Pike Place Market and the Fremont Market is cool too.

Shout out to The Metropolitan Market in North Tacoma, WA and Boo Han Korean Market in Tacoma WA.

Yeah, Metropolitan Market over on Proctor in Tacoma is hot... the superior offspring of the one on the top of Queen Anne, cramped but still good.

Other Seattle-area food shout outs:

University District Farmer's Market - highest sale volume per square foot of any farmer's market in America.

Pacific Food Importers, also in the ID.

Salumi for the fine charcuterie.

Mayuri over in Bellevue for Indian groceries... good Indian vegetables and baked goods, and they've got Bollywood video rental broken down by region.

Is the Brazilian store in the U-district still open? I used to roll over there for dende oil, mantioc flour, dried shrimp, and all the other stank Bahian stuff. Plus a 12-pack of Antarctica Guarana.

I'm also feeling the split Russian / Korean supermarket on 156th in South Bellevue, where the QFC used to be... the spot for some borscht or flossy Polish chocolates.