dodging a bullet

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Picked up this CD:And Im sure glad I didnt waste $150 on the LP because it sucks. Its like Jefferson Starship compared to Jefferson Airplane, no wait not even Jefferson - just Starship!

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    What can one have faith in if not the rock solid copy provided by dusty groove?

"A lost treasure from Antiono Adolfo -- keyboard player, arranger, and one of the greatest Brazilian talents of his generation! Adolfo's sound and style is contemporaneous with the best work of Marcos Valle, Edu Lobo, and others -- and like them, he has an approach that mixes together jazz, MPB, baroque orchestrations, easy scoring, and a bit of funk -- similar to the best work of the Blue Brazil generation on EMI/Odeon Records. The approach is one that's rarely been matched by any other artist -- and it's a strong reason why Adolfo's records from this period are extremely sought after in the world of collectors. This beautiful album from 1970 has Adolfo working with the group A Brazuca -- who bring some wonderful vocal harmonies to the set, mixing with strings, guitars, and some great electric piano work from Adolfo. Includes the breezy classic "Transamazonica", plus the cuts "Que Se Dane", "Atencao Atencao", "Claudia", "Panorama", "Tributo A Victor Manga", "Caminhada", "Grilopus No 1", and "Cotidiano".

Much of it sounds a lot like someone who is really constipated trying to force one out. Or passing a stone or something.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it is a bit out there, but I enjoyed this. I would not say that it sucks at all. I wouldn't be mad if I caught it in the field for $50 or less.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Picked up this CD:

And Im sure glad I didnt waste $150 on the LP because it sucks. Its like Jefferson Starship compared to Jefferson Airplane, no wait not even Jefferson - just Starship!

that record is great. brazilian heat. pure butter, mayne. great music. adolfo is cool.

I dont know, it doesnt touch the first LP. Its not even in the same league as:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    isn't it the other way around? isn't the black/purple one the second and the one you don't like the first?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Picked up this CD:

And Im sure glad I didnt waste $150 on the LP because it sucks. Its like Jefferson Starship compared to Jefferson Airplane, no wait not even Jefferson - just Starship!

Nobody that knew the slightest bit of anything about anything would say that about this.

yo - its bad. I'm sorry. Even that Sergio Mendes LP is better.

isn't it the other way around? isn't the black/purple one the second and the one you don't like the first?

the discography Im looking at says the black/purple is 1969 and the other one is 1971.

http://www.cliquemusic.com.br/en/Artists/Artists.asp?Status=ARTISTA&Nu_Artista=30

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not really feeling either of the Brazuca records. Antonio Adolfo is a little cheesy, full stop. Check 'Viralata' or his other solo records for more confirmation.

I can understand why people like it, but the only track I ever play is 'Atencao, Atencao'... and even that's pushing the bubblegum factor for me.

In the battle of Antonios, Antonio Carlos and Jocafi are the clear winners. Most of their $10 LPs are better than either of these $100+ LPs.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    How can you take issue with "Transamazonica"? To paraphrase kfed, that's dancefloor fire right there. It's also a club classic.

• yo - its bad. I'm sorry. Even that Sergio Mendes LP is better.

What record were you listening to? Perhaps all those cheap samba comps have glazed over your attunedness.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    How can you take issue with "Transamazonica"? To paraphrase kfed, that's dancefloor fire right there. It's also a club classic.
    "

"Transamazonica" is great. But for the money that record goes for, I would expect it to be more than a one-tracker. And nothing else on there really grabs me. It sounds like a slightly classier Brazilian version of Paul Mauriat or James Last.

I just checked out the MP3s again, now I need to go listen to the 1969 Milton Nascimento record to cleanse my brain...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I haven't heard it, but if Danno says so, it's got to be a certified